I'm Shunning discs.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    God forbid if a terrorist decided to crash a disk brake equipped bike into a large crowd.

9/11 all over again.

it'll be 10 times worse

yes

9110 !!!!!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Somewhere between the Hy Rd, Spyre and R1 is the best system. For me the R1 still comes out top because adjusting it takes a second or two and mine have no issues. The Hy Rd probably have the edge on feel but, that lever throw.

The Spyre, I kind of agree with Ugo there, I mean, it's a cable, you pull it, the pads move. You can adjust them to get better closeness. But, that system of adjustment? I mean, the distributors fixed my allen bolts, (seized and rounded) but they told me to take more care of them. Take more care of a disc. I assume that means keep it dry? Discs. Sort that out and that system would be all anyone would ever need.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    that sora mech I bought is actually okay, as the reviews say very little difference in that and the ultegra model. I'm going to put the 180 rotor on the front that should help
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bendertherobot
    I should also say that my R1 brakes work better with my Shimano XT centrelock discs than they do with bog standard whatever the other all steel ones I have.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    .i think ugo's blog write is fairly fair. my spyres are on a commutor bike which is where they belong. that bike also doubles up as an audax bike but i am not inclined. there is an issue with the front brake at present, it lacks bike but since the cables have not been changed for 2 winters i think we have the reason.

The HY-RD's i had developed the same fault that ugo's had. lever throw was the other issue i replaced them with the spyres.

all the others are a mixed bag to useless. shimano hydraulic systems are very good, i don't think the price a huge issue for who they aimed at. I would fit them in a heart beat to my genesis commuter but then what i have works just fine for where i ride. as BC don't allow disc brakes for road races so at present i can't justify another bike but if that changes or i stop road racing then that might change.

the main problems is some folk get to worked up about disc brakes but there need for both kinds mainly because we all have rim braked bikes some of them very nice ones and i know i can't bring myself to sell them all just to have better brakes. the last thing i want is 17 bikes all with the same braking system.

I don't think there is any reason to shun discs or to say we all need them. they have there place depending on what you need. Even as a tubeless tyre convert i still do 1/3 of my miles on tubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    I don't think there is any reason to shun discs or to say we all need them. they have there place depending on what you need.
    Very true. I had to have a fiddle with the Parabox unit I have for the first time since fitting over the weekend. Replaced the pads that were well worn and gave the front a quick bleed as it's always felt a bit spongier than the back. First time I've had to do anything in two years of riding, didn't take long at all. Whilst it's an ugly looking thing I think it works well for a hybrid system. The cable run is only the length of the handlebars so doesn't really get affected by dirt and spray too much. Self adjusts for wear as a hydraulic system should and has been pretty much fit and forget other than initial faffing when fitting as a result of buying a used kit.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I think the most important aspect of switching to discs, seems to have been bypassed, and that is no matter how hard you brake, you don't damage the rims. So wheels should last longer, important on expensive wheels I think
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Ride what you think is best, rim brakes have their place but please don't justify your decision by trying to convince us they are the superior option. If you want to ride ancient tech that's fine.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,031
    As the rotors are bedding in, I'm loving the stoping power on my new Cube, it still feels a bit strange having hydraulics on a drop bar bike.

... If only I had been on such a bike ~40 months ago, on the morning on my rim brake related RTA, but better late than never!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Well, my discs on the CAADX made sure I stopped well before a bloke in a BMW Z4 turned left across CS8 this morning........the bloke behind me on rim brakes couldn't stop so quickly so thumped into my back wheel and crashed on the floor.

He was ok, more dented pride than anything else.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    That'll teach him not to be a wheelsucker.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    glad i've had to wait to start my build as now i can go campag hydro disc
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    itboffin wrote:
    glad i've had to wait to start my build as now i can go campag hydro disc

I thought Campag was supposed to be pretty
    4_dscf3282-1494262306178-1kyfpqqw2ho5r-630-354.jpg
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bendertherobot
    Something of the H R Giger about all of that.
  • WillMedic
    WillMedic Posts: 26
    Did my first ever disc commute on a damp road in my cable disc shod hybrid- with myself weighing 96 kg and my bike 14 kg + pannier rack I was pleasantly surprised how unaffected the braking performance was in the wet compared to rim brakes, particularly as I live in a hilly city!
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699

Aaaaand now I can't un-see that.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    MrSweary wrote:

If I pull the lever, does a slightly smaller lever appear from inside?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Asprilla wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

If I pull the lever, does a slightly smaller lever appear from inside?

:shock: :D
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • cycleclinic
    just bought the potenza disc brake bits. delivery early june.
  • itboffin

nice! from where?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    I don't get the whole different offset chain ring thing. My bike works fine with a regular 105 chainset. Be interested to hear what you think about it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I don't get the whole different offset chain ring thing. My bike works fine with a regular 105 chainset. Be interested to hear what you think about it.

My FSA chainset has that too. One of the advantages with the FSA one is that it allows outboard oversized bearings on a normal screwfit bottom bracket - all the benefits of BB30 but without the press-fit problems.

The idea is that the rear axle is 5mm wider, thus moving the cassette 2.5mm further to the right than on a normal road bike, so moving the chainring out too makes some sense. Not sure that 2.5mm makes a huge difference though...

It also helps the inner chainring clear the chainstay. I have seem some disc brake bikes which have limitations on the size of the rings because the angle of the chainstay for the wider dropout would bring them too close. Most bikes seem to get around this by having a concave chainstay but a wider chainset provides a little more leeway.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm all in favour of moving the chainrings out a bit - my brand new cross bike arrived a couple of weeks back and had oodles of chain rub on the front derailleur when in the big ring and small end of the cassette.

Naturally, I backed off the limit screw and tweaked the tension so that it wasn't creating a horrible racket anymore.

Well, this morning I gave it the beans and it threw the chain onto the right crankarm, scratching the right side of the chainset right up...

It shouldn't have happened, gear was fully engaged, everything was new.

My previous cross bike also seemed to eat front derailleurs.

So in my view it is a legitimate improvement, although trust campag to do it by creating yet another chainring standard that isn't compatible with anything else.
  • itboffin
    just fitted the ultegra R780 flat bar levers holy crap they're awesome i managed to lift the back wheel with almost no effort even with crap sora in the front and BB7 on the back, now all i need is to find a nice pair of 22.2mm bars with a gentle sweep a 31.8 clamp would be great but 25.4 is okay.

who knew mech disc could be so good
  • cycleclinic
    well i am in the trade so i phoned a distributor...

the campag solution means the q factor remains unchanged and campag chainrings last a long time.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    I'm a bit of a retrogrouch w/r/t disc brakes and won't have them on my road bikes, but nothing like the chap I saw today on Putney Hill: post-mount disc brake fittings on the frame (without calipers) but cantilever brakes attached to obviously hand brazed-on aftermarket posts. His wheels appeared to have disc hubs with the rotors removed (yes, that means his cantis were not rubbing a machined brake track on the rim). Hat to you, sir. That will show them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    First ride on my new rim braked bike (see road bike section), fitted with 5800 calipers... they are awesome... miles better than any rim caliper I have ever owned, in fact they are better than the HyRD ever were and at a small fraction of the faff involved in installation and a fraction of the price too.
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    i have the new 6800 version as you say amazing stopping power but nothing on the dual pivot chorus
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    itboffin wrote:
    i have the new 6800 version as you say amazing stopping power but nothing on the dual pivot chorus

Sorry, I don't talk Campagnolo... :wink:

POint is, rim calipers have stepped up a notch and any mechanical disc brake is less effective and basically obsolete
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    i agree rim brakes are just as good in the dry, i've yet to try my discs mech or hydro in the rain, mind you discs win when off road as the sticky clay mud gets stuck in between the calipers and the stays, on my canti cross bike I had a brick sized lump of mud wedge the rear wheel solid