I'm Shunning discs.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    wheel hit the forks all the way home, low spoke count = lame
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • As a rule-of-thumb, disc bikes have much better tyre clearance than bikes designed for conventional calipers. It doesn't get mentioned much but typical road calipers tend to restrict the size of the tyre that can be fitted anyway.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Even if the disk itself was bent it would be trivial to just remove it and carry on riding (at least for the 6 bolt ones) shimano centerlock might be trickier. ;)

However its such an unlikely scenario in reality. The only disc I've ever seen bent beyond use was on a colleagues bike at work after a van backed into his bike. Strangely the disc was the only think bent.

I've also ridden home on a disc braked MTB after a rear end crash with a car totally trashed my back wheel. If it had been rim braked I'd have been walking (even wth the caliper opened).
  • Is this the new Brexit thread?
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Bloddy disc brakes, coming over here.......
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    vimfuego wrote:
    Bloddy disc brakes, coming over here.......

...taking our rim jobs.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    B'dum-tshhh!

Nicely done
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • itboffin
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just an update on this - i am now shunning gears and keeping the Discs

Just bought myself a single speed conversion kit and am now looking to convert to flat bar and hydraulics -

So now looking for some cheap flat bar hydraulic disk kits.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    rubertoe wrote:
    Just an update on this - i am now shunning gears and keeping the Discs

Just bought myself a single speed conversion kit and am now looking to convert to flat bar and hydraulics -

So now looking for some cheap flat bar hydraulic disk kits.

Anything is fine. But SLX is, IMO, the sweet spot.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    rebuilt my old on-one inbred just now with mech disc brakes and 700c wheels, i have about 1mm frame clearance at the back with 35mm snow tyres although that because the rear triangle protrudes about 2cm for what looks like nothing more than just design, i'm thinking if i cut that away and sand it smooth my 26" on-one will be a perfect occasional MTB / adventure bike with drop bars.

the front fork is a planet X el cheapO wide disc mount thing which can easy take 26 or 700c

I've got 3x8 gearing at the moment, how bad can mechnical discs be?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,660
    itboffin wrote:
    Imagine an attempt to make a mechanical equivalent to a wind instrument, and you'll be close.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    itboffin wrote:
    Depends on the brand and model. I had some Tektro on a MTB about 10 years ago and they were great compared to rims... I had some Avid BB5 and they only slowed you down by the additional drag of the rotor in the wind...
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    rotor drag :lol: compared to that ferking big rotor shaped thing it's bolted to next to it :lol:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    On_What wrote:
    rotor drag :lol: compared to that ferking big rotor shaped thing it's bolted to next to it :lol:

marginal gains dude ..... when I ride I even suck my cheeks in (face cheeks) to minimise my CoD ... you might not think it makes a difference .. but a mere 0.0001% everywhere adds up :mrgreen:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    fat daddy wrote:
    On_What wrote:

marginal gains dude ..... when I ride I even suck my cheeks in (face cheeks) to minimise my CoD ... you might not think it makes a difference .. but a mere 0.0001% everywhere adds up :mrgreen:
    Surely it is marginal losses in this case? :mrgreen:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    need some cheap road disc wheels for the CAAD12 do i go shimano RX31, fulcrum sport or mavic aksium?
  • bendertherobot
    What's the best price on each currently? If you're canny and get a voucher you should get the Fulcrum 5 for sub £200, which is where my money would go.

Otherwise, get the cheapest.
  • itboffin
    What's the best price on each currently? If you're canny and get a voucher you should get the Fulcrum 5 for sub £200, which is where my money would go.

Otherwise, get the cheapest.

voucher?

from about 129 to 180 so far, i did look at the 5s but once i start looking above 200 then i'd might as well just go for the zonda discs https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/Wheels ... disc_brake
  • bendertherobot
    Voucher codes, always stuff floating round for stuff like PBK.

I take it the Aksium are £129?
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    itboffin wrote:
    need some cheap road disc wheels for the CAAD12 do i go shimano RX31, fulcrum sport or mavic aksium?
    Having been through 3 Mavic Aksium rear disc wheels in a shade under 6000km (all died the same way - freehub-related shriek of death) I'd never advocate buying Aksium discs...

Want to buy a BNIB set of Aksium discs? (The 4th set - or third warranty replacement set of you prefer) :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • itboffin
    i just came across a set of 2016 mavic ksyrium pro for £320 that can't be right, surely?
  • bendertherobot
    itboffin wrote:
    i just came across a set of 2016 mavic ksyrium pro for £320 that can't be right, surely?

Might be. They're skinny and not at all light
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

1535g is pretty light no? and yes skinny at 19 also why do mavic insist on including their frankly pants own tyres

I had a set of mavic tyres on a supersix evo in Mallorca, I almost soiled myself on the first descent, they went straight back to the hire shop
  • bendertherobot
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

1535g is pretty light no? and yes skinny at 19 also why do mavic insist on including their frankly pants own tyres

I had a set of mavic tyres on a supersix evo in Mallorca, I almost soiled myself on the first descent, they went straight back to the hire shop

For £320 it's ballpark, for £800 way off. But then these are discs. If I was paying £320 I think I'd get Hunts.
  • itboffin
    so back to my original post, cheap "starter" wheels then something more bling and hand down the cheapset

I really cant fault any of my campag/fulcrum kit nor for that matter even the super cheap shimano RS10
  • itboffin
    Well i take it back the cheap mech discs are working really well now they've bedded in
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    itboffin wrote:
    Well i take it back the cheap mech discs are working really well now they've bedded in

2years later mine must still be bedding in then :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    left the forum March 2023
  • God forbid if a terrorist decided to crash a disk brake equipped bike into a large crowd.

9/11 all over again.