I'm Shunning discs.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    hopkinb wrote:
    Or in both the big and little rings simultaneously.

I think a lot of the bikes on my daily commute already have this ..... or at least it sounds like it when I pass them
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    1200 dollars for rim brakes on the Copenhagen. Not bad mind. It'll come down.

great idea but have you seen the weight? :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

You can mitigate it by having a massive poo before you ride and shedding an internal organ or two.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin wrote:

You can mitigate it by having a massive poo before you ride and shedding an internal organ or two.

And I do think it's for the Danish/Dutch style bikes which weigh more than a small solar system.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    It's over 7kg! That's almost as much as my whole bike.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • itboffin
    J_MCD wrote:
    It's over 7kg! That's almost as much as my whole bike.

some poo eh, not sure what you chaps have been eating :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    I've used cantilever brakes 3 years, mechanical disks 5 years, hydraulic disk brakes 10 years and rim brakes 3 years.

TT - bike - rim brakes
    Aero bike - rim brakes
    All round bike in a country/region with mostly flat topography - rim brakes
    Climbing bike/all round bike in a country/region with mostly dry weather - rim brakes
    Any new rider buying their first bike in 2017 - hydraulic disk brakes
    Climbing bike/all round bike in a country/region with often wet weather - hydraulic disk brakes
    Commuter bike - hydraulic disk brakes
    Can't afford hydraulic disk brakes - Mechanical disk brakes

V-brakes and cantilever brakes - largely redundant.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Ok, Say supposing i want to upgrade my mechanical disk brakes (BB7) to hydraulic brakes - what should i be looking at - currently running 10 speed tiagra - and dont really want to upgrade to 11 speed.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Ok, Say supposing i want to upgrade my mechanical disk brakes (BB7) to hydraulic brakes - what should i be looking at - currently running 10 speed tiagra - and dont really want to upgrade to 11 speed.

One option would be TRP Hylex and then https://gevenalle.com/product/trp-hylex-gear-upgrade/ , if you didn't fancy bar end shifters.

Only discovered this upgrade existed earlier on STW forum.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rubertoe
    edited February 2017
    rubertoe wrote:

One option would be TRP Hylex and then https://gevenalle.com/product/trp-hylex-gear-upgrade/ , if you didn't fancy bar end shifters.

Only discovered this upgrade existed earlier on STW forum.

Was really looking at integrated STI type leavers - something like R565 or the like.

I could also be tempted to go 1 x with hydro but that might involve sram.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Or just Tiagra hydraulic
    http://road.cc/content/tech-news/184535 ... isc-brakes

But that relies on flat mount

Maybe you could get the Tiagra shifters and pair them with 105/Ultegra post mount calipers
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    that looks very interesting - why have i i not seen this before - Not got flat mounts but can certainly adapt or swap for something suitable

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    dhope wrote:
    Or just Tiagra hydraulic

Maybe you could get the Tiagra shifters and pair them with 105/Ultegra post mount calipers

You can get mount adaptors.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Woah there, did we miss, but that's really ugly?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rubertoe
    edited February 2017
    I didnt say i was getting rid of the disc braked bike, Just that i dont really see that if choosing a new bike i would go for disc brakes.

But having only ever used mechanical discs i might as well upgrade them to the best that i can afford

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Asprilla wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Or just Tiagra hydraulic

You can get mount adaptors.
    I think you can get adaptors to post mount calipers on to flat mount frames as that involves adding the depth of the posts, not sure it's possible to fit flat mount calipers to a post mount frame.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    At the end of a 400km ride, hydro discs are really nice because they need less force on the lever. (Same reason di2 is nice - less fatigue, and less chance of it de-calibrating mid ride.)

Locking up wheels is definitely a bug not a feature. Being able to stop using only one brake on a 1 in 4 descent when the other brake is buggered - now that's a feature.
  • fat daddy
    being able to slam the brakes whilst being on the hoods is awesome as well .. none of this move into the drops for maximum braking leverage .... on the hoods, one finger, full braking ability

which is good, because you can use your other hand to poke a finger in your ear to muffle the honking of contaminated wet pads :D
  • itboffin
  • fat daddy
    they are lethal ..... stuck my hand in the washing up bowl last night .... got a cut on my finger .. MUST be my bike discs
  • itboffin
    i just watched the crash and i couldnt see any of the downed riders having discs
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Actually, if you read the quotes from Doull here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/doull-c ... ign=buffer
    "My shoe was cut to pieces. That’s definitely a disc brake that has done that,” said Doull.

"It’s gone straight through the shoe into my foot. It’s lucky that’s not my leg to be honest. If anything I’ve come off lucky there, if that’d been my leg it would have cut straight through it, for sure. You’ve seen my shoe – it’s gone straight through that."

"Nothing else could cut like that, it’s like a knife, it cut straight through it. You can see that thin line, it’s exactly in line, cut there and cut there on my shoe and both straight through in an arrow-straight line."

He doesnt say he hit the disc - he is assuming that is what happened based on inspecting the damage and saying that is his 'guess' (for want of a better word)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    How do you get your foot that far into a wheel that the disc can cut the middle of a shoe without removing all the spokes first? I call bullshit.
  • itboffin wrote:

Yup - never mind that he left most of his @rse on the road.

I tried and couldn't even get my shoe into a position where the disc could have cut it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    my guess is something on the barrier or a spoke
  • itboffin wrote:

Pics of destroyed wheel (missing spokes at least), or I claim BS. :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • itboffin wrote:
    my guess is something on the barrier or a spoke

The barrier would be my guess which would explain the brown marks surrounding the cuts.

But that won't stop the witch hunt against discs.
  • Kind of irrelevant to this conversation seeing as it was on a MTB but.....

7 years ago I had to have 6 stitches in my left knee due to falling off my mountain bike and my knee getting sliced open on the front rotor. I was doing something stupid at the time so all my fault. My neighbour 'Louise the Nurse' removed the stitches for me, she was well fit as well. That's irrelevant too but it's what I remember about the accident the most!!

Sorry I don't have pics. Knee or Louise.
  • rubertoe
    Dangerous as well them discs i dont think i have come across one incident of a rider cutting a shoe on a rim brake.....

• rubertoe wrote:
    Dangerous as well them discs i dont think i have come across one incident of a rider cutting a shoe on a rim brake.....

Hang on let me Google accidents caused by rimming...

Oh dear God :shock: