I'm Shunning discs.

Comments

• C5XdJ5ZWQAE3J6a.jpg:large

TBH - I'd much rather take my chances with a disc than be impaled on a tipped-up barrier. But disc hysteria is far more fun
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689

TBH - I'd much rather take my chances with a disc than be impaled on a tipped-up barrier. But disc hysteria is far more fun
    Watch this video. The disc is so dangerous that although it was on a bike to the right of Doull it managed to cut his left shoe. Oh and never mind the fact that Doull hit the barrier that was on his left. No, must have been the disc. :roll:
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Watch this video. The disc is so dangerous that although it was on a bike to the right of Doull it managed to cut his left shoe. Oh and never mind the fact that Doull hit the barrier that was on his left. No, must have been the disc. :roll:

Blimey - 6 years of this rabid killing machine in my garage and I'm still alive by some miracle.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Blimey - 6 years of this rabid killing machine in my garage and I'm still alive by some miracle.

yeah, but have you got feet ????
  • Have to say, I tried with my shoes last night. Assuming an upright bike, the only way I could get close was a left shoe, taken off, and put into the rear disc. Even then it was marginal in terms of spokes being near. That's with an upright bike, clearly there is potential from other angles but I couldn't get near to seeing how it would happen, and that's without a discussion on force, inertia etc.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Much as I see no real need for discs (as above), I'm very much of the camp that they're less dangerous than made out by some people. This video suggests that it would be virtually impossible for a disc to have caused that injury to Owain Doull

http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/video/v ... cut_431182

Now, I'll go back to my bike with no gears and no freewheel - gears and freewheels are over rated!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Veronese68 wrote:

Have you ever been in a pile up in a bunch? I'm a bit sceptical about the risks posed by discs, but obviously its a far greater concern for road racers than other categories of cyclists (cross, MTB, utility etc). The two alleged incidents to date are a bit ambiguous at best, but I think the UCI should err on the side of caution, especially when the majority of cyclists seem opposed.
  • Rhodrich wrote:
    Much as I see no real need for discs (as above), I'm very much of the camp that they're less dangerous than made out by some people. This video suggests that it would be virtually impossible for a disc to have caused that injury to Owain Doull

http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/video/v ... cut_431182

Now, I'll go back to my bike with no gears and no freewheel - gears and freewheels are over rated!
    Preach it brother! :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Veronese68 wrote:

As i said, most likely the barrier.

Right ban all barriers at races :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    fat daddy wrote:

you've got a good point there, when I last met MRS at the Rapha hell of the north i DIDNT see his feet :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

you've got a good point there, when I last met MRS at the Rapha hell of the north i DIDNT see his feet :lol:

RUMBLED!!
  • BigMat wrote:
    Have you ever been in a pile up in a bunch? I'm a bit sceptical about the risks posed by discs, but obviously its a far greater concern for road racers than other categories of cyclists (cross, MTB, utility etc). The two alleged incidents to date are a bit ambiguous at best, but I think the UCI should err on the side of caution, especially when the majority of cyclists seem opposed.

Yes - not in a race, though. And I don't want to make racer safety look like a trivial thing - it's not.

But there is hysteria about discs fuelled by those people who simply don't like discs and, as we've seen, will grasp at every opportunity to blame discs. The truth, as has been shown by both high profile incidents, is that there are lots of risks involved in cycling as there are in many sports.

If pro cyclists don't like discs then let them decide not to ride on them. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: I SIMPLY DON'T CARE WHAT ANYBODY ELSE RIDES. People on here have confused me challenging what I see as misconceptions about discs with insisting that everybody rides them. I don't care. I do not care :wink:
  • itboffin
    hey "it's not about the bike"
  • itboffin wrote:
    hey "it's not about the bike"

It really isn't - in so many ways
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    Re the car analogy. Most (if not all) cars have hydraulic disc brakes. At the front at least.
    When the road bike market reaches this level the the prices will be at the level for me to buy in.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Re the car analogy. Most (if not all) cars have hydraulic disc brakes. At the front at least.
    When the road bike market reaches this level the the prices will be at the level for me to buy in.

At least 10 years yet then before "most" bikes have them.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:

I don't mind keep the bikes that I have now for another 10 years.
    Not in the least. That's why I am shunning discs.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

If you don't need a bike, you don't need a bike. I'm shunning 27.5 MTBs - because I don't need to change my 26er...
  • itboffin
    broken a spoke on the club ride this morning, 30 miles into a 65 mile route, opened the calipers and rode home, can you do that with discs?
  • itboffin wrote:
    broken a spoke on the club ride this morning, 30 miles into a 65 mile route, opened the calipers and rode home, can you do that with discs?

Spoke count?
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Spoke count?

Fulcrums 20/24 i think but not an easy ride home, full taco wobble into a good gusting 40 mph SW headwind

character building stuff :?
  • I'm not sure that being a disc (F5) would put an end to the ride. I'd just avoid the brake. I though the theory was that disc wheels kept their shape better when they broke. Could be well off on that. A lot are 28 or 32 spokes anyway.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

If you don't need a bike, you don't need a bike. I'm shunning 27.5 MTBs - because I don't need to change my 26er...
    My point being that the reason for "upgrading" is not compelling enough. Yet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    itboffin wrote:

No, you cant open the calipers with discs, but you dont need to because a broken spoke wont affect the discs. The rim might not be straight but that has nothing to do with it. I have done so in the past. Beauty with discs is that you could still use the brakes. Once you open the calipers you only have one wheel braking. Plus as someone else said, disc wheels tend to have higher spoke count so would cope better than some of the rim brake wheels.
  • itboffin wrote:

Yup - why wouldn't you? Or am I missing something?

The disc is attached the the hub. The wheel can be any shape you like and it will still be fine (assuming it fits between the forks). You can still brake too.

I'm confused.

ETA - what he said ^
  • itboffin
    it was a genuine question as i've not had that on my disc bikes it occurred to me today, would i get home using discs, my MTB would be fecked it have a low spoke count as well.

I love campag and their wheels are strong as i just proved riding 35 miles with a very wobbly wheel but i'm not sold on low spoke counts, dont their record hubs only come in 32H
  • veronese68
    Yes, discs are fine with a pringled wheel. A car once hit the back of me and cattled the rim. Wobbly back end but both brakes worked.
  • itboffin
    i'm toying with hand built for the CAAD if i keep them black the wife wont notice, perhaps
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    itboffin wrote:
    Even if the disc was off set for some reason, couldn't you just remove the relevant disk calliper and ride home with one more effective brake? I'm not totally sold on discs by any stretch, but would've thought they weren't a handicap in that situation.....
  • veronese68
    mroli wrote:
    I'm not totally sold on discs by any stretch, but would've thought they weren't a handicap in that situation.....
    No, huge advantage in that situation. So long as the wheel doesn't hit the frame you'll be fine. Highly unlikely to warp a disc in that situation.