Eurosport TV schedule 2017

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Joelsim wrote:
    Premier League cost is £1.4bn per season.

Discovery asking for £1bn per annum.
    Really? That can't be true. A billion for Discovery?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    I can't believe WCF is not outraged by this blatant Sky bullying
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

That's what Sky Corporate's statement said.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

If so I'm not surprised at Sky refusing to pay. Football is their flagship product and vital to their business but they could drop the Discovery package and lower prices and lose little. Sky Atlantic is a bigger draw than Discovery.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

If so I'm not surprised at Sky refusing to pay. Football is their flagship product and vital to their business but they could drop the Discovery package and lower prices and lose little. Sky Atlantic is a bigger draw than Discovery.

Offered many hundreds of millions, no lower prices, just a promise to reinvest all of what they offered in alternative content. AltCont?
  • RichN95.
    To put this in context, Rick said he bet the Discovery package cost less than a single Premiership game (average price £7.5m). I thought he was wrong, but not by a magnitude of over 100 times.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    My current Eurosport Player subscription ends 10th April, so covers me up to Roubaix. Whether I continue with it after then will largely depend on whether Kirby is doing the Ardennes classics.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    My current Eurosport Player subscription ends 10th April, so covers me up to Roubaix. Whether I continue with it after then will largely depend on whether Kirby is doing the Ardennes classics.

Last year he did none of them though I think that was because he was recovering after a skiing accident. In 2014 and 2015, Hatch did LBL and Kirby the others (LBL clashes with Turkey which is a jolly that allows for on-site commenatating and CK seem to like going...)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    RichN95 wrote:
    To put this in context, Rick said he bet the Discovery package cost less than a single Premiership game (average price £7.5m). I thought he was wrong, but not by a magnitude of over 100 times.

Haha. I kinda meant just Eurosport but ja.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Ive stuck with sky for yonks but really only because its nice and convenient to have it all there in the same package even though i know it costs. Not going down the internet tv route, i have a good provider and aint switching to BT. So for me the only realistic option is freesat. Which means i can use my existing sky+ box and satellite but lose recording unless i pay sky £10 a month. Or buy a humax box for not too much and get recording. And only get 5 HD channels of course.

So i can get a yearly eurosport pass for £20 and watch on ipad or link to tv via chromecast or similar. Which covers tennis and cycling. And for cricket i can purchase sky content as pay per view. Although BT are muscling into these markets now and have next winters ashes series.

Or carry on as before, paying shedloads to sky for football that i dont watch and just do the eurosport sub. Have i missed anything guys! Why oh why has life suddenly got so bloomin complicated....
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    Just paid my £20 tax, so more money for both parties which I guess is what it is about.

I think if Sky genuinely wanted to appease its users it would offer to discount the subscription cost by the Eurosport savings as opposed to offering to spend it on new content at the some unknown date in the future.

I definitely there is a market opportunity for a channel to show less mainstream sports.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:

yes but I note they forgot to say over what time period the deal they were offering/being offered lasted, since Discovery now have the rights to the Olympics from 2018, but UK & French rights were already settled, so Discovery wouldnt have an exclusive UK content deal for Sky till 2022 that has to be part of the timeframe of the deal. and a billion pounds for 12/13 channels content thats minimum 5 years doesnt seem so bad versus the premiership ones Sky paid 4 billion pounds for over 3 years.

Discovery also said Sky were now paying less than they were 10 years ago. it doesnt seem likely Sky were spending hundreds of millions on those channels 10 years ago.

and Sky does boot channels off, just ask MotorsTV.
  • TheBigBean
    It seems odd that Sky can't agree terms, but other suppliers can.

Separately I'm delighted to discover some squash videos on Eurosport player. I appreciate this is of little interest to anyone.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Anyone had any luck getting a discount on their Sky subscription?
    I've tried but the call centre chap wasn't really understanding what I was after.

I've signed up for the Eurosport player but I might find the lack of recording facility means it doesn't work with my shifts anyway!
    Usually tend to fast forward to the end of races anyway!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    £20 for 12 months is a giveaway, just signed up.

Have previously paid for the service and it worked well, seems to have grown/improved quite a bit since.

Makes you wonder, with the amount of people who have a smart tv/firestick/chromecast/ipad (and laptop!) etc these days if theres that much need for them to get onto more TV platforms.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Been looking into the various devices mysekf this afternoon. Was not something i had even considered. Anyone got any thoughts on which is the best?. Chromecast seems good and cheap...
  • RichN95.
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Makes you wonder, with the amount of people who have a smart tv/firestick/chromecast/ipad (and laptop!) etc these days if theres that much need for them to get onto more TV platforms.
    Convenience.
    You can save money if you shop around either online or in real life. But people like the one stop convenience of the likes of Amazon or Tesco or in this case Sky. (And I'm one of those people)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Convenience.
    You can save money if you shop around either online or in real life. But people like the one stop convenience of the likes of Amazon or Tesco or in this case Sky. (And I'm one of those people)

That's We Buy Any Car's exact marketing tool at the minute Yes, you can get more by shopping around, but it's more convenient if you pay that little extra
  • RC856 wrote:
    Anyone had any luck getting a discount on their Sky subscription?
    I've tried but the call centre chap wasn't really understanding what I was after.

I've signed up for the Eurosport player but I might find the lack of recording facility means it doesn't work with my shifts anyway!
    Usually tend to fast forward to the end of races anyway!

I have only just resubscribed to ES player for first time since the 2008 or so, so I do not speak with any authority on it but there does seem to be a cache of recorded videos of programmes from the week. I don't know how reliable it is though - i.e. will they stick the Cadel etc one on even though it is delayed highlights? (I'd have thought not).
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    This is the sort of corporate willy waving that pushes people towards torrent sites. And then they moan that people are watching stuff illegally.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Convenience.

That's We Buy Any Car's exact marketing tool at the minute Yes, you can get more by shopping around, but it's more convenient if you pay that little extra

I found that advert surprising, partly because admitting you could have more cash elsewhere is odd but mostly because they didn't have a "voiced by an actor" pretending to be someone who got totally scammed by someone offering £20 more than WBAC.com but with a dodgy chequebook that subsequently turned out to be rejected by the bank of Toytown.

People will pay for convenience - I recently spent four or five quid more for postage because it means I'll get the bits on my new bike this weekend, rather than getting them on Monday and having to wait - but it'd be interesting to know how many choose to pay for it and how many just don't think.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Gweeds wrote:
    This is the sort of corporate willy waving that pushes people towards torrent sites. And then they moan that people are watching stuff illegally.
    I haven't used a torrent site since about 2011.

Today my watching is Amazon Prime, Netflix and Eurosport player, with a bit of YouTube for highlights and some live stuff.

The mainstream tv and pay tv business model is doomed.
  • TheBigBean
    bobmcstuff wrote:

The mainstream tv and pay tv business model is doomed.

People have been saying this for a while, but it is still possible to deliver vastly more data over the air rather than the internet. Certainly the internet gives you on demand, but having just watched a streamed football match on BT sport, I think there is a long way to go on delivering live sports - endless buffering, delays and low definition was my experience.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Is there a way to get the time right on the eurosport player tv guide? It used to catch me out all the time and still seems to be an hour out.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I wonder if Sky will allow the Eurosport Player app on the Now TV box now?
  • rick_chasey
    I've just read somewhere that Eurosport player isn't HD?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    720p.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    Ffs.
  • TheBigBean
    It's odd that Eurosport don't simply opp for their own subscription on Sky. Plenty of people seemed happy to pay £5 a month for Eurosport player.

Rick - quality not that great on a big TV.
  • rick_chasey
    Think it'll be cheaper to go chromecast, full blown VPN and streaming Sporza HD off their website.

Anyone have any experience with this style of approach?