Eurosport TV schedule 2017

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Think it'll be cheaper to go chromecast, full blown VPN and streaming Sporza HD off their website.

Anyone have any experience with this style of approach?

I'm surprised you don't do this anyway given your dislike of Kirby.

The success of that will depend on the quality of your VPN.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Yeah I like being able to flick over without faffing with devices.

Presumably discovery get paid in dollars so it's already 20% more expensive just for starters.
  • rick_chasey
    But any advice on the VPN solution would be very gratefully received.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    But any advice on the VPN solution would be very gratefully received.

I've tried a few previously and the best I found was F-Secure Freedome; it's a "paid-for" service but was the only thing that I found that worked reliably. IIRC they have a 30 day free trial if you want to see if it'll work for your needs.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    TheBigBean wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

The mainstream tv and pay tv business model is doomed.

People have been saying this for a while, but it is still possible to deliver vastly more data over the air rather than the internet. Certainly the internet gives you on demand, but having just watched a streamed football match on BT sport, I think there is a long way to go on delivering live sports - endless buffering, delays and low definition was my experience.
    Netflix manages extremely high quality on my TV, I don't know why it's harder to deliver live TV at high quality (presumably there is a technical reason?)
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yeah, it's called bandwidth...
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    IVPN.net is my choice, paid for but works well and doesn't hamper the transfer of data
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stridor
    Stridor Posts: 48
    Here is a quite good rundown in what to look for in a VPN service, and a look at various companies that provide those services:

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Erm no idea what a VPN service is and how it might help me to get eurosport in a couple of days. Can anyone explain in idiot language s'il vous plait?
  • rick_chasey
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Erm no idea what a VPN service is and how it might help me to get eurosport in a couple of days. Can anyone explain in idiot language s'il vous plait?

It hides where your computer is from, and a good one will let you set what county you ARE from, so that you can watch otherwise georestricted streams.

For example, if you're in America, you won't be able to access BBC i player.

Lots of state broadcasters on the continent broadcast the races on their websites - but only to people from their country.
  • Been a sky customer for years including sky sports. Just canceled via the online live chat, got offered 40% off for 10 months of the new 12 month contract. Stuck to my guns and canceled.

I liked the convenience of Eurosport just being one of the channels I could choose, pause, rewind, record etc. I can't get Virgin in my street, is BT the only other way to keep this setup as it was?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I liked the convenience of Eurosport just being one of the channels I could choose, pause, rewind, record etc. I can't get Virgin in my street, is BT the only other way to keep this setup as it was?
    If you're going to vote for Skexit, you need to have a plan.

(I have no advice to offer, I just wanted to coin the word Skexit)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    If you're going to vote for Skexit, you need to have a plan.

(I have no advice to offer, I just wanted to coin the word Skexit)

28 days to full 'Skexit'
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    Been a sky customer for years including sky sports. Just canceled via the online live chat, got offered 40% off for 10 months of the new 12 month contract. Stuck to my guns and canceled.

Same here, both in terms of preferring the convenience of the TV and there being no Virgin in the area (there's a joke in there somewhere...). BT would only offer us the basic TV package which doesn't include Eurosport though (assume our internet is too slow/far from the exchange) , so no TV option available to us at all. Eurosport player it is then.

Sky will be getting cancelled. Will really enjoy knocking back the increasingly desperate efforts to keep us.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Hopefully moving house in a couple of months
    Will just cancel then.
    Tipping point reached.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I cancelled Sky yesterday and went BT. We get a pitiful download speed from our Sky broadband anyway, and losing Eurosport was the final straw. We are paying £23 less a month with BT and that includes fibre broadband.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,433
    I've cancelled sky. BT can't offer me anything other than basics so got a bit of research to do. Meanwhile I paid for Eurosport player so can still watch that til my broadband gets switched off
  • This debacle has spurred me into my annual post...

I have just purchased a years membership of Eurosport Player. I notice there is an 'airplay' option when viewing on the app. My aim is to get cycling to reappear on my telly (shame not in full hd). I think an Apple TV box is required for airplay, or the other option is Chromecast. Does anyone have experience about which of these options works best (i.e. Picture quality, reliability)?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    10am live tmw.
  • chieflordy wrote:
    I have just purchased a years membership of Eurosport Player. I notice there is an 'airplay' option when viewing on the app. My aim is to get cycling to reappear on my telly (shame not in full hd). I think an Apple TV box is required for airplay, or the other option is Chromecast. Does anyone have experience about which of these options works best (i.e. Picture quality, reliability)?

I use Chromecast pretty successfully, the picture quality is good on my 40 inch TV and the service from Eurosport is OK. To stream anything you need a solid 2mb connection to your house, but most people will achieve that - if your local broadband connection is patchy then it will be frustrating.

You do need a device to set up the "cast" from, a Windows PC, Android tablet or smartphone phone are just the job. The only downside is you cannot record, but Eurosport provide a reasonable supply of catch up videos. Once you have Chromecast you can use it to cast a lot of other services ( YouTube, iPlayer, itvplayer are the ones I use). Not really into the MAC world but I suspect you can do similar with airplay.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    After years with sky I am now cancelling. All I really watch is Eurosport, F1 and Sky Atlantic. I have purchased Eurosport player for the £20 annual deal, which I will airplay and I am switching to now TV which gives me fibre broadband and sky Atlantic (plus some other Sky entertainment channels) and movies for £32 per month. I will pay for a weeks sports pass for the 10 Grand Prix than are not on channel 4.

All in all I am way better of financially, around £35 a month and I feel like I've made a small stand against Sky for dropping Eurosport (even though they still get dosh from Now TV)
  • I have finally sorted myself out - BT. I was paying £38 to Sky a month. Now £10 a month for BT Total Entertainment, and I'll subscribe to Now TV when they show good stuff on Sky Atlantic.

So, thank you Sky and Discovery - your Mexican standoff about money has saved me over £200 a year. So i make that my win and your loss.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    chieflordy wrote:
    This debacle has spurred me into my annual post...

I use Airplay to watch the app, on my phone, on the TV via Apple TV. Its generally pretty good, only nause is getting a phone call, for example, which will interrupt the stream unless you turn calls off, that and having to use another device if you also want to follow on Twitter etc. Minor points perhaps, but worth planning around.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Ok, parted with my £20 this morning so a years eurosport is guaranteed. Looks ok on the player.

Seems that sky lines are pretty busy at the moment. Hopefully lots of unhappy punters are giving them a good kicking. I will be moving in a few weeks and it seems that sky will install a dish for nowt or only a small fee and without affecting existing terms and conditions. So my plan is to let them give me a new dish which i can use for freesat and then say bye bye...
  • rick_chasey
    So those who watch via internet things (Eurosport player and the like) - how do you record?

I rarely watch races live nowadays.
  • So those who watch via internet things (Eurosport player and the like) - how do you record?

I rarely watch races live nowadays.

Unless someone says otherwise, I think you don't.
    Just forked out £20 to secure British Eurosport, only to find out that currently they have 1 cycling video, lasting 2 minutes.
    If only I was a tennis fan.......

Not sure who to contact first: BT or Sky.
    The flipping clock is ticking on the January offers.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Anyone own or know of a Freeview recorder box on the market that has access to the ES player via an app store or similar? Been searching online and really not clear if any can, unlike some of the newer Smart TV's that I know have app access.
    This isn't to record the ES player as I know you can't, its just to have the player + the ability to record normal Freeview channels.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    With regarding recording. Isn't it just a case of watching it Steephill TV, or You Tube? They are always on there aren't they?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Just to warn you, I have a Samsung Smart TV which has the app on it, when I try to use it it says 'no internet connection' yet it's connected to the internet just fine. Every other internet use works. I've tried deleting the app and downloading again but the same problem.

On another note, will Chromecast not work with Apple?
  • rick_chasey
    I'm gonna have to get BT aren't I?

FFS.

F*ck you world.

Cycling was the only relief I expect to have in what is already becoming a relentlessly sh!t year, and I don't just mean on a macro level.