Eurosport TV schedule 2017

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    They lose Eurosport, they lose me.

Ditto.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    Also worth mentioning that Eurosport Player is currently £19.99 for 12 months rather than the usual £59.99.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    Also worth mentioning that Eurosport Player is currently £19.99 for 12 months rather than the usual £59.99.

Ooh cheers, Gweeds, will swap my currently monthly sub
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    My wish for 2017 (apart from world peace of course) is that they bring Eurosport Player back to smart TVs, ideally in 1080p. I picked up a Chromecast in case that doesn't happen in time for the Classics.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    This is pretty sickening from Sky but I guess they need to recoup that football cash somewhere.

The mrs likes a bit of TLC (The channel), I like the cycling and discovery, if this isn't resolved I'm cancelling. But what are the options regarding eurosport? I really don't fancy watching it all on an ipad.
  • This is pretty sickening from Sky but I guess they need to recoup that football cash somewhere.

The mrs likes a bit of TLC (The channel), I like the cycling and discovery, if this isn't resolved I'm cancelling. But what are the options regarding eurosport? I really don't fancy watching it all on an ipad.

HDMI cable to your TV?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    Nieuwsblad still gonna be an illegal stream jobby?
  • supermurph09
    This is pretty sickening from Sky but I guess they need to recoup that football cash somewhere.

HDMI cable to your TV?

I guess I'll have to, just a bit of a faff really.
  • I've spoken to Sky. Negotiations are ongoing but as it stands at the moment Eurosport will disappear from Sky on the 1st Feb. I asked for my views to be recorded (i.e. lose Eurosport lose my custom) and they wouldn't. All they wanted was to sell me more stuff. Looks like BT will be getting my custom.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    This is very disappointing news. That Eurosport Player deal seems pretty good, I recall them doing something similar last year.

I don't often rant and moan about companies because I figure the best option is just to vote with your feet. However, I'll make an exception for Sky seeing as their disdain for their customers and underhanded sales tactics seem to get worse and worse every year. I wonder how long they can continue to try to bleed their customers dry with the rise of competing services such as BT, Netflix and Amazon.

I'll certainly be cancelling if they can't work this out because Eurosport and Discovery are the only reason I still use it.
  • gweeds
    The player app works on amazon Firestick
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    So I think I'm going to be switching to plusnet for broadband and phone, freesat for TV, Eurosport player (with airplay to my apple tv) for eurosport, and NowTV on my Apple TV for Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

What a ball ache. Wouldn't be quite so annoyed if I could get decent broadband, but we're stuck at about 4Mb down and less than 1Mb up until Virgin cable our street in the next couple of years as part of their network extension program. Means I'll miss out on ITV4 in HD as it seems to only be available in SD on freesat.
  • I live in deepest Derbyshire, so nearest cable is about 10 miles away. Broadband for anything faster than about 4mbps has to be BT infinity, and then it is 40mbps at best. At times like this I am envious of you city slickers with your fast broadband, Deliveroo, taxi firms with more than 1 car etc
    As much as it galls me to say it I'd rather stay with Sky (connects to broadband wirelessly, plus live viewing doesn't take up any bandwith), but it looks like BT and fully Ethernet cables are the future at Chateau YourPace. Sky really do deserve to lose customers
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    mr_poll wrote:
    If you rely on Sky for your ES fix then unless someone backs down then you might have to find some other way of watching it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/25/discovery-goes-war-sky-channel-fees-blackout-threat/

Eorosport HD the main reason I have sky, typical murdoch way of treating customers, time to start researching alternatives. Going to be a PIA :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I've jut signed up for ES Player, even if it's just for content that isn't on TV like Cadel highlights, it's worth it for 20 squid.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Joelsim wrote:
    I've jut signed up for ES Player, even if it's just for content that isn't on TV like Cadel highlights, it's worth it for 20 squid.
    was reading over on cycling news forum that it's possible ES will go on free to air channels, anyone heard, got info or update on this?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

HDMI cable to your TV?

That should work - I've done that before, prior to getting an enhanced BT TV package that includes BT sport & more importantly Eurosport HD
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Chromecast works for the Eurosport player app. £30 or so to buy, then you start the Eurosport app on your tablet or phone and send it to the Chromecast so you can watch on TV.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • supermurph09

HDMI cable to your TV?

That should work - I've done that before, prior to getting an enhanced BT TV package that includes BT sport & more importantly Eurosport HD

Just researched the BT offering, we will be signing with them and cancelling SKY. Benefits for us include the BT sport channels, double the internet speed (guaranteed), better set top box, cheaper netflix if we wanted it (we dont have this right now) and best of all for about half what we are paying now! We can add movies for £13 if we want to. Losing Sky Atlantic seems to be the only downside but we can live with that.
  • rick_chasey

HDMI cable to your TV?

Just researched the BT offering, we will be signing with them and cancelling SKY. Benefits for us include the BT sport channels, double the internet speed (guaranteed), better set top box, cheaper netflix if we wanted it (we dont have this right now) and best of all for about half what we are paying now! We can add movies for £13 if we want to. Losing Sky Atlantic seems to be the only downside but we can live with that.

Given BT's Italian accounting scandal, expect fewer football matches on BT after the next round of auctions.
  • graeme_s-2
    I live in deepest Derbyshire, so nearest cable is about 10 miles away. Broadband for anything faster than about 4mbps has to be BT infinity, and then it is 40mbps at best. At times like this I am envious of you city slickers with your fast broadband, Deliveroo, taxi firms with more than 1 car etc
    I live in a city centre but on a newly built estate. All the older houses around me have Infinity and Virgin, but I'm stuck on ADSL that tops out at 6mb down on a good day. Virgin are apparently planning to cable the estate sometime in the next couple of years.

We do have deliveroo and taxis though.
  • graeme_s-2
    Losing Sky Atlantic seems to be the only downside but we can live with that.
    You can get Sky Atlantic (live and on demand) via Now TV for £6.99 a month. That's what I intend to do (at least during the months when Game of Thrones is on - other advantage is you can cancel it when you're not using it).
  • rick_chasey
    Graeme_S wrote:
    You can get Sky Atlantic (live and on demand) via Now TV for £6.99 a month. That's what I intend to do (at least during the months when Game of Thrones is on - other advantage is you can cancel it when you're not using it).

Must be easier to just stick a LOTR boxset on your telly and p0rn on your laptop, no?
  • graeme_s-2
    Graeme_S wrote:

Must be easier to just stick a LOTR boxset on your telly and p0rn on your laptop, no?
    :P
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Might well be good news in the medium to long term, as Eurosport may be available on more formats at less cost.

Sky have been ripping people off for their cheapest package inc Eurosport for years, bearing in mind Eurosport is free/very cheap in a lot of other European countries.

As said before, the Eurosport Player works well, and offers more action in any case.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Clearly the new owners of Eurosport are trying to get back some of the money they spent on buying it. Instead of it being available for free or cheap in other countries my expectation is that they will eventually try to move to a monthly subscription basis, rather than it being bundled in with other stuff. I would certainly be surprised if it turned up on "free tv" as that wouldn't fit with them looking for more money from Sky. This is probably the start of an issue that will affect other Eurosport territories in the coming months.

Thankfully I have Eurosport via BT. I do have Sky as well (70% off deal till this summer), but after that I'll just cancel again and wait to see if they do another cheap offer. Without Eurosport it is much less appealing for me though.

Does anyone know what sort of viewing figures the group of channels Discovery owns get on Sky compared to the core Sky channels?
  • rick_chasey
    Sorry I only just read that sky are dumping Eurosport.

This is a f*cking travesty.
  • rick_chasey

HDMI cable to your TV?

No comedy central though, which is a deal breaker for the wife.
  • graeme_s-2

HDMI cable to your TV?

No comedy central though, which is a deal breaker for the wife.

Comedy Central is included in the same £6.99 a month Now TV package that I'm getting my LOTR and p0rn substitute in. It's the Entertainment package.