Wiggins the legend!

1234568»

Comments

• We need a few years more of decent scientific research to establish once and for all how much doping carries on helping athletes after they've stopped

(and before anyone shouts, I'm aware as the next fan how race-wily Piti is - and that drugs cant give you that)

Yep - it's the great unknown. Both how good would they have been naturally and how much are they still benefiting. Same with someone like Gatlin - technically a fantastic sprinter, v talented junior.... but arguably shouldn't be running those times still. (also is probably still at it, given the mess Athletics is in).

Mate of mine who did steroids when he was 19/20 and hitting the gym yuuugely before knocking it on the head, swears that the mental advantage lasts i.e. 'I've achieved that weight so I can do it again'
  • A smutty joke! Not like you RR.

Had some wine for Friday lunch? ;-)

I wish. Finishing performance review write-ups... :cry:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Just catching up, are we agreeing that Valverde is a better road cyclist than Wiggins then?

Yeah.

Not being able to sustain the road consistency has to count against you, especially against probably the most consistent rider of his generation.

To be fair on Wiggins, has he really tried to sustain road consistency?

That's broadly irrelevant isn't it? If you don't try it's as good as failing.

You're using the loser mentality! LOSER MENTALITY.

LOSER

Given your original question, it depends how you choose to define "better", since Wiggins presumably beat Valverde to win his big road events one might argue that he was a "better" road cyclist - at that time...

Apples and pears innit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Like I said, I put consistency of achievement high up on the list for road.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Someone like Millar might argue that EPO is different to 'roids because it's affecting your 'system' temporarily (i.e. your values will drop again once you're off it) rather than physically making you bigger / stronger etc.

But if it's EPO that allows you to blitz between groups in x-wind affected Vuelta stage at 60kph (as per his book), that physical experience arguably remains 'in the bank'.
  • yorkshireraw
    A smutty joke! Not like you RR.

Are you rating consistency over isolated high points?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729

Dolling out the Brucies too?
  • yorkshireraw

Dolling out the Brucies too?

Higher, higher....
  • Someone like Millar might argue that EPO is different to 'roids because it's affecting your 'system' temporarily (i.e. your values will drop again once you're off it) rather than physically making you bigger / stronger etc.

But if it's EPO that allows you to blitz between groups in x-wind affected Vuelta stage at 60kph (as per his book), that physical experience arguably remains 'in the bank'.

He does tend to argue that the stuff he was taking didn't benefit him on the days that he claims not to have taken it. And those were the days he did well.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Someone like Millar might argue that EPO is different to 'roids because it's affecting your 'system' temporarily (i.e. your values will drop again once you're off it) rather than physically making you bigger / stronger etc.

He does tend to argue that the stuff he was taking didn't benefit him on the days that he claims not to have taken it. And those were the days he did well.

Yes, a few pinches of salt required I think... Or shovelfuls....
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Just catching up, are we agreeing that Valverde is a better road cyclist than Wiggins then?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I Piti the fool whi thinks that.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    dish_dash wrote:
    honesty folks... you got some spare time on your hands and a tv company says we'll give you a bunch more cash to go on a tv show. How many of YOU would really walk away.

Besides, I'm sure that XIX Management pitched it as part of a longer-term strategy to maximizing his income while he still has strong brand recognition etc. etc.

He's moved agencies. Now with M&C Saatchi Merlin...
  • Not supported during the TUE gate scandal according to a couple of media outlets.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    honesty folks... you got some spare time on your hands and a tv company says we'll give you a bunch more cash to go on a tv show. How many of YOU would really walk away.

Besides, I'm sure that XIX Management pitched it as part of a longer-term strategy to maximizing his income while he still has strong brand recognition etc. etc.

He's moved agencies. Now with M&C Saatchi Merlin...

No more Son of Clive Woodward at the races then
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    Skoda on board with Team Wiggins.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner