Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Wiggins the legend!

mrfpbmrfpb Posts: 4,481
edited January 2017 in Pro race
Sorry, but I can't bring myself to post in the "Cheat" thread.

Well done Sir Wiggo, and thanks for bringing your consderable personality and dedication to the sport.

(I'm sure he's reading and will appreciate the setiments :wink: )
«1345678

Posts

  • A true great.

    I hope he enjoys his retirement.

    Hopefully he'll rejoin Twitter now and get stuck in :-)
  • I like Wiggo and think he's generally done positive stuff for cycling in the U.K.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,544
    Not a massive fan of some of his antics, but that's some career. 5 Olympic golds, a TdF win, the Hour record. Chapeau.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Heartily agree, deserves respect for his palmares, and general energy in helping British Cycling become the phenomenon it is. Good luck sir!
  • tim000tim000 Posts: 718
    legend and inspiration to many.
  • Love him or loathe him.....but one thing you cannot do is dismiss him.His record speaks for itself, and he's right when he says a lad from Kilburn shouldn't maybe have done it! But thank god he did! My lasting memory of him will be him leading out Cavendish on the Champs in that glorious 2012 TDF.It was simply magical,then to follow it up with Olympic gold...despite all the Russian cheating, well, you have to tip your hat.Cycling in the UK is a better place for him having been part of it.
    Retiring now is a good move, the last thing he needs is to wobble along at the back of races, recalling his "Glory Days".
    You never know we might get some animated commentary on Eurosport now!!!
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,338
    For me taking everything into account he's the greatest male (whether you can compare the female side of the sport is another argument) British cyclist ever in terms of what he has achieved, his profile and the impact he's had.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • JSCLJSCL Posts: 1,259
    <3
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • inseineinseine Posts: 5,776
    Glad to see the positive comments. Cycling is all the better in the UK, and beyond, because of Wiggins. Chapeau sir.
  • dav1d1dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Love him or loathe him.....but one thing you cannot do is dismiss him.His record speaks for itself, and he's right when he says a lad from Kilburn shouldn't maybe have done it! But thank god he did! My lasting memory of him will be him leading out Cavendish on the Champs in that glorious 2012 TDF.It was simply magical,then to follow it up with Olympic gold...despite all the Russian cheating, well, you have to tip your hat.Cycling in the UK is a better place for him having been part of it.
    Retiring now is a good move, the last thing he needs is to wobble along at the back of races, recalling his "Glory Days".
    You never know we might get some animated commentary on Eurosport now!!!

    This, that lead out with him in the yellow jersey and cav in the world jersey, I have a signed photo of the last corner signed by both of them! What a legend, what he has done speaks for itself!
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,736 Lives Here
    inseine wrote:
    Cycling is all the better in the UK, and beyond, because of Wiggins.

    :|
  • SecteurSecteur Posts: 1,971
    Saw this in the news earlier - genuinely thought he'd already retired!

    Can't stand the bloke, and glad won't have to keep seeing him and his antics, but I won't say anything stronger than that here, and will allow the inevitable Wiggins-love-fest to continue...
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    He's a legend in my book.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 21,222
    Had he won Roubaix he would have had the best palmares of the modern era. As it was it is certainly the most unique
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    ddraver wrote:
    Had he won Roubaix he would have had the best palmares of the modern era. As it was it is certainly the most unique

    It doesn't really compare to Guardini's 22 stage wins at Langkawi.
  • inseineinseine Posts: 5,776
    inseine wrote:
    Cycling is all the better in the UK, and beyond, because of Wiggins.

    :|

    :| me all you like but cycling hasn't been so popular since the sixties and SKY plus the Olympics are a huge part of that, with Wiggins central to both. Anyway, you know you love him ;)
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,736 Lives Here
    You keep saying that as if it's something I'm supposed to like.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,308
    You keep saying that as if it's something I'm supposed to like.
    Exactly.
    I used to have a housemate like you. He liked all the obscure music that he heard on John Peel and disowned them when they had a hit (eg Dandy Warhols)
    Let's allow Rick his hipster affectations.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Cycling is all the better in the UK, and beyond, because of Wiggins.

    :|

    :| me all you like but cycling hasn't been so popular since the sixties and SKY plus the Olympics are a huge part of that, with Wiggins central to both. Anyway, you know you love him ;)

    tbh I was surprised when they linked him so directly to that in the news report of his retirement,as it was never something that had crossed my mind as I dont feel Im one of the however many folk whove picked up cycling since whenever you draw that line directly because of his successes, Wiggo has never played any part in my inspiration to get back on a bike,it was nice that he made it seem cooler but it had never occurred to me how directly his achievements were really to making cycling popular again, there are very few sports people who transcend the back pages to the front pages in newspapers solely on their success.

    and as much as he frustrates the hell out of me as a person sometimes, as a professional cyclist he's got one hell of a record of achievements you cant help but say a big Chapeau! to
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,736 Lives Here
    RichN95 wrote:
    You keep saying that as if it's something I'm supposed to like.
    Exactly.
    I used to have a housemate like you. He liked all the obscure music that he heard on John Peel and disowned them when they had a hit (eg Dandy Warhols)
    Let's allow Rick his hipster affectations.

    It's more it's really annoying when I now have a mere month to renew my club membership or else have it cancelled and be sent back to what looks like an 8 month waiting list because it got so popular they had to cap membership at 600.

    Or that if I want to buy a canyon bike nowadays you need to wait a good 4 months because it's so popular.

    Or when I go to the ToB in London nowadays, I can't get to chat to the riders like I used to.

    That's what I don't like.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,736 Lives Here
    I'm really pleased cycling got so popular I now have to leave my house 25 minutes earlier so I can get a ride into work that isn't 80% dodging some [email protected] on a bike who's watched the Tour and thinks it's legit to sit on my wheel while hurtling through central London. Or just so I'm not permenanrly stuck in some mega peloton of nodders.

    On balance, I have not been a winner in the "cycling is more popular" event.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,736 Lives Here
    I can't even buy a coffee around box hill without a 15 min queue nowadays (even if I go to a more obscure cafe) and even then it's at best 50-50 if I can get a seat.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,736 Lives Here
    And ironically, if nothing else, Wiggins of all people would probably sympathise with that sentiment.
  • Old man shouts at cloud



    :evil: :P
  • inseineinseine Posts: 5,776
    I think that Cav and Wiggins have helped enormously in popularising the sport, and if he can continue to use his notoriety for positive results (women team etc) then all the better. Not sure I felt like the coolest guy on the block back in the seventies when I was cycling and scouring the back pages of the telegraph for results. Sure it's comical to be in a bar with loads of people commentating of the Tour with no knowledge of what they're watching, but hey, lets not get too far up are own arses.
  • Rick, Rick!!! lol... Did you just keep having new rant thoughts and kept coming back till your rage was vented!!
    I get what you are saying...but you have no more right to that skinny cappalappamappacino on Box Hill than the fat Pinarello riding Hedge manager in front of you..!! The fact it has become more popular is to be applauded, I do feel though that the popular routes such as Box Hill etc etc have lost a lot of their draw simply because, like you say it's too busy!
    Get up here to god's country in the Peak District and surrounding areas..always room for everyone..even when some of the more "competitive" chain gangs from local clubs think it's a closed road run..just for them!!
    It happens in all pastimes that become popular..look at Wimbledon..cant move on local courts for month...etc.
    I for one don't buy into the "I liked it before it was popular" theory!! lol..On the contrary....It just makes me realise how supremely talented I am at spotting the next "big thing"!!!
  • hopakhopak Posts: 193
    dav1d1 wrote:
    My lasting memory of him will be him leading out Cavendish on the Champs in that glorious 2012 TDF.

    This, that lead out with him in the yellow jersey and cav in the world jersey.

    We were there too, wearing Ouiggo T shirts and shouting ourselves hoarse.
    Brilliant memory.
    Chapeau.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,170
    RichN95 wrote:
    You keep saying that as if it's something I'm supposed to like.
    Exactly.
    I used to have a housemate like you. He liked all the obscure music that he heard on John Peel and disowned them when they had a hit (eg Dandy Warhols)
    Let's allow Rick his hipster affectations.

    It's more it's really annoying when I now have a mere month to renew my club membership or else have it cancelled and be sent back to what looks like an 8 month waiting list because it got so popular they had to cap membership at 600.

    Or that if I want to buy a canyon bike nowadays you need to wait a good 4 months because it's so popular.

    Or when I go to the ToB in London nowadays, I can't get to chat to the riders like I used to.

    That's what I don't like.

    But now its more popular I get to catch people and go past them rather than just being passed all the time. :D
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,736 Lives Here
    I get what you are saying...but you have no more right to that skinny cappalappamappacino on Box Hill than the fat Pinarello riding Hedge manager in front of you..!! !!

    I know. That's the problem.

    I'm not so awful I think I deserve to skip the queue.

    I just don't like that there is a queue at all.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,736 Lives Here
    So I don't like the rider, his Tour was the most dull Tour I can remember, and I've lost out because of the rise in popularity.

    Yay Wiggins, :roll:

    But the I like Pantani & Contador so I don't think I'm the target audience.
Sign In or Register to comment.