Wiggins the legend!

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ^tis true. Rubber-necking = viewing figures

Seems he's a reasonable skier

But. Yeah.

Jade Jones is doing the show, isnt putting her off, i wonder how many saying meh etc will be tuning in? lol!
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    I would imagine Jade Jones isn't making a fortune out of her sport, as opposed to Wiggins who's comfortably worth a few £million and has a much higher profile already.

Still, he'll probably have a cracking aero tuck position for the ski jump.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    So what other cyclists would you have on reality TV shows?

Strictly Come Dancing - Cavendish because he used to dance
    The Apprentice - Adam Hansen because he's an innovative type
    I'm a Celebrity - Froome because he actually likes snakes
    X-Factor - Andre Griepel and his rapping
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Wiggins one of the greatest athletes ever?! Just no.

In context, yes.
    In the context of ignoring that actual greatest athletes ever I'm assuming.

Hat
    ?

It's English for chapeau
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95 wrote:

The Apprentice - Adam Hansen because he's an innovative type
    I'm a Celebrity - Froome because he actually likes snakes
    X-Factor - Andre Griepel and his rapping

Problem with Cav is he'd get voted off the first time he gets mardy
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    RichN95 wrote:

g

He wouldn't be allowed on. Prior ballroom dancing experience isn't allowed.

And RR2 - He'd be scoring so highly he'd be immune from the public for the first half, and by then they'd have warmed to him. He's popular with middle aged women and that's basically THE voting audience for strictly.
  • rick_chasey
    Cav might make a good judge however...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    And RR2 - He'd be scoring so highly he'd be immune from the public for the first half, and by then they'd have warmed to him. He's popular with middle aged women and that's basically THE voting audience for strictly.

My 7 year old disagrees with you. She votes every week. For the same person.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    mamba80 wrote:
    ^tis true. Rubber-necking = viewing figures

Seems he's a reasonable skier

But. Yeah.

Jade Jones is doing the show, isnt putting her off, i wonder how many saying meh etc will be tuning in? lol!

as people have said, I imagine its very difficult to make a living out of being a professional taekwondo competitor, shes also only 23 so is probably still in the feeling invincible nothing can hurt me stage of life, and its probably equiv to a whole years worth of money for her.

Wiggo is a fair bit older with a few more pounds in the bank and enough experience to know if he wants to go skiing now (and I presume as in a lot of professional sports his prior contracts specifically barred him from winter sports due to the risk of injury) he can go anytime he wants, just because someone has driven a truck of money up to his door to do it, doesnt mean he needs to
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    honesty folks... you got some spare time on your hands and a tv company says we'll give you a bunch more cash to go on a tv show. How many of YOU would really walk away.

Besides, I'm sure that XIX Management pitched it as part of a longer-term strategy to maximizing his income while he still has strong brand recognition etc. etc.
  • yorkshireraw
    Agreed but this show seems to bring inherent risk to one's person, whereas some of the others are just unpleasant (jungle sleb thing) or just designed to make you look a n00b-end (CBB etc).

Be more fun if he went on ex-on-the-beach - they could bring out JV, Millar, Froome etc....
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2017
    I think he's aware that he needs targets and goals to function properly and this is something to fill the gap for the time being. And the show also has two genuinely great rugby players and Robbie Fowler (Wiggins is a Liverpool fan), so there are people he will respect as sporting peers to legitimise it to himself.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, Robbie Fowler.

RobbieFowler.jpg
  • Agreed but this show seems to bring inherent risk to one's person, whereas some of the others are just unpleasant (jungle sleb thing) or just designed to make you look a n00b-end (CBB etc).

Be more fun if he went on ex-on-the-beach - they could bring out JV, Millar, Froome etc....

Oh jaysus. What fresh hell.
  • The Jump! Surprised.

I thought he had form for bottling on slippery descents. :shock:
  • yorkshireraw
    Ah, Robbie Fowler.

RobbieFowler.jpg

Indeed -
    TV exec: 'hey Robbie man, wanna do this rad show, the powder will immense'
    RF: 'where do I sign up?'
  • RichN95.
    The Jump! Surprised.

I watched Tour de Celeb on Channel 5 recently and Amy Williams was bottling dry descents.
  • yorkshireraw
    RichN95 wrote:
    The Jump! Surprised.

I watched Tour de Celeb on Channel 5 recently and Amy Williams was bottling dry descents.

Have that recorded on 'telly box thing. Will have to take a look - you'd expect her to be fearless.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    RichN95 wrote:
    The Jump! Surprised.

Pah... I apparently rode the same event as them and never saw them once! Though their car did nearly run over my other half...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631
    I haven't watched any of the shows, but I think my order of preference for participating would be: (i) The jump snow thing (ii) The jungle one (iii) The dancing one (iv) The big brother house one.

I think (i) would actually be a long way ahead of (ii), because it sounds fun. That's even considering the fact that the bit during ski jumping where they climb onto the seat scares the living daylights out of me (before they even start moving). Still, I don't imagine they teach them to jump in a V nor use 2.5m skis and I'd imagine the ramp is fairly short, but then I have never watched it.

I think Lindford Christie pulling his hamstring is overstating the injury list a bit.
  • Ah, Robbie Fowler.

RobbieFowler.jpg

Indeed -
    TV exec: 'hey Robbie man, wanna do this rad show, the powder will immense'
    RF: 'where do I sign up?'

Robbie will be prone to nose bleeds
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Sorry, but I just love this

Were I low level celeb it would be the show I did!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I think Lindford Christie pulling his hamstring is overstating the injury list a bit.

Possibly, but it's the needing spinal surgery (Beth Tweddle), and ending up on crutches for 9 months, whilst not being able to drive, dress or wash your hair unaided (Tina Hobley) that catch the eye...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I haven't watched any of the shows, but I think my order of preference for participating would be: (i) The jump snow thing (ii) The jungle one (iii) The dancing one (iv) The big brother house one.
    In the snow one and dancing one they actual get to learn something - so I'd do them first. Jungle one last - I can't be doing with snakes.
  • yorkshireraw
    Dancing for me - but only If paired with Oti or Natalie, ta.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I'd like to do the dancing one but history suggests I'd be more of an Ed Balls than an...Erm...I dunno, good guy.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Danny Mac
  • rick_chasey
    Fwiw Boogerd won Dutch dancing on ice and Rasmussen was on the Danish strictly.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Possibly, but it's the needing spinal surgery (Beth Tweddle), and ending up on crutches for 9 months, whilst not being able to drive, dress or wash your hair unaided (Tina Hobley) that catch the eye...

Eeeeek :shock:
  • yorkshireraw
    Fwiw Boogerd won Dutch dancing on ice and Rasmussen was on the Danish strictly.

Boogie always was a slippy character.

Did Ras do the funky chicken?...