E-Bikes, what do we think?

Comments

• JW599
    JW599 Posts: 30
    Can't really say much as I havn't tried one. But:
      If I had access to one I could cycle along the boring roads to my local trails quicker and have more time for proper riding
      If my child is in the trailer the back the extra weight wouldn't slow me down so much on long easy leisure routes
      If I had some sort of injury it could reduce the strain and aid recovery
      I could get to the loo a lot quicker

What else I think:

If a generaly healthy person passed me on one at the trail I'd be really peaved off

Bike Park Wales - Really really bad idea charging extra

If it encourages anyone to get out riding I don't see a problem, but I would be far from happy if someone of good fitness was to use the extra power on trail secions.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If BPW are genuinely assessing they cause more wear (more laps and/or more power) then I dint see an issue with charging them consummately, I'm guessing no-one wants to go to charge per lap (it's a hassle) so this seems fair.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The Rookie wrote:
    If BPW are genuinely assessing they cause more wear (more laps and/or more power) then I dint see an issue with charging them consummately, I'm guessing no-one wants to go to charge per lap (it's a hassle) so this seems fair.

Yep, seems fair. If you're using it more, you pay more.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    It's only fair if they are using it more. And as someone pointed out in the comments section, what about riders who are using electric bikes to compensate for some disabilty etc? Not a completely unimaginable situation.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • ukjmr
    ukjmr Posts: 13
    doomanic wrote:
    By that logic, anyone making an effort on a climb shouldn't have to move over for a faster rider.
    Why do you assume an e-bike rider is lazy? If they are in maximum attack mode up a climb they'll be putting just as much effort into the climb as anyone else, just going faster.

I think that's your problem. There may be a speed differential which makes other rides uncomfortable. There's always going to be a range of ability on a climb, but this extends that range significantly.

To some people who ride bikes off-road to get away from motor traffic, it feels intrusive when people bring motor traffic (albeit quieter) on to the trails.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605

agreed and I would hazard a bet that you are faster than me and would do more laps ... so in all fairness you should have to pay more than me as well ... I don't want a discount £15 is fair, but you should have to pay £20 :mrgreen:
  • Angus Young
    fat daddy wrote:

and I would hazard a bet that you are faster than me and would do more laps ...

Oh, I wouldn't put money on that! :D
  • OMark
    OMark Posts: 23
    I've only tried one around the parking lot, but would love to test one out. I wouldn't want one for everyday use, but it would be great for days when I just want to cover more ground, still pedaling my part of course ;-)
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    It's very easy to see from the debate above, , who has an open mind and who has closed and shut case. , who likely works themselves and those who work for a.n.other, those who have some knowledge and some have wisdom, few it seems have both here.

What does it matter if someone is getting a little extra help, good grief, talk about a non-debate?

My next door neighbour has MS. You come round and tell him yourself that he shouldn't be using battery on his mountain and road bicycles. Then go and look at all the YouTube videos of him setting new climbing routes on goodness how many rock faces when he was a younger man, then come 'round here with your petty preconceived ideas of who should be allowed to do what on two wheels and tell him that he cannot have a battery on a bicycle.

As I say, a non-debate, anyone who wants to legislate against anyone doing anything legal on two wheels should leave this forum, do not collect your coat, just be-gone, never show your hung-head ever again on a cycling forum.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I will tell whoever I want to tell - just whatever I feel like telling. I've got the freedom to do so and the willingness to take the consequences.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I heard that ebikes are a common cause of homosexuality and penis rot
  • garnib
    garnib Posts: 38
    Love mine and got me back out as my backs knackered ... trust me I was the world biggest hater on them.. yeah off bikes love it ..
  • necromunger
    necromunger Posts: 105
    DSC_0652_01.jpg

4000 miles and still going :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Photobucket fail. They want your money.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • necromunger
    i logged out and i can still see it you sure its not ur end ?

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads ... 0/page-113
  • cooldad
    Yep, they don't host any more unless you pay. You might see it. Nobody else can.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • necromunger
    bummer :evil: well there is a pic in the link :)
  • JW599
    JW599 Posts: 30
    They cannot ride on restricted byways :lol:

"for any transport without a motor and mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs"
  • necromunger
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCY1F4_WT8

i ride my bike anywhere i want even past police cars ;)
  • Angus Young
    It's very easy to see from the debate above, , who has an open mind and who has closed and shut case. , who likely works themselves and those who work for a.n.other, those who have some knowledge and some have wisdom, few it seems have both here.

What does it matter if someone is getting a little extra help, good grief, talk about a non-debate?

My next door neighbour has MS. You come round and tell him yourself that he shouldn't be using battery on his mountain and road bicycles. Then go and look at all the YouTube videos of him setting new climbing routes on goodness how many rock faces when he was a younger man, then come 'round here with your petty preconceived ideas of who should be allowed to do what on two wheels and tell him that he cannot have a battery on a bicycle.

As I say, a non-debate, anyone who wants to legislate against anyone doing anything legal on two wheels should leave this forum, do not collect your coat, just be-gone, never show your hung-head ever again on a cycling forum.

Not that this hasn't been covered repeatedly in this thread already, but...

It's been stated over and over in this thread that e-bikes are great for people with reduced mobility, whether it be from illness, a condition or age. We all applaud the less able getting out on the trails and have said so. Should have read the thread before steaming in.

And, as also stated repeatedly, with regards to 'what does it matter if someone is getting a little extra help", it doesn't stop there. People are lazy and disinterested. e-bikes will be bought in great numbers in the coming years and that poses a threat to what many of us like about this sport. One major manufacturer already sells more e-bikes than regular bikes. Others will soon, too. So how long before one of the majors stops making regular bikes altogether (assuming they can get the price down, which they will)? And how long after that before another follows suit. And then another? And how long after that before it becomes almost impossible to find regular bikes other than some hand made rarities out of the price range of most of us? That day will come. So it's not about fretting about what other people like to ride. It's about fretting about what I like to ride. Should have read the thread before steaming in.

Oh, and I'm assuming that those that simply disagree with you are the ones you consider lacking in wisdom and of closed mind. Though I'm struggling to see what someone's work status has got to do with it.
  • Angus Young
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCY1F4_WT8

i ride my bike anywhere i want even past police cars ;)

What's the godawful noise! Sounds like a low flying Spitfire. Very relaxing. And even from just GoPro footage it looks heavy and cumbersome. That's not a great advert for e-bikes.

Oh, and get off the pavement, you yob!
  • cooldad
    May I add, what a knob. Apart from pavements, every right turn was on the wrong side of the road, red light jumping, people on closed pedestrian street having to jump out of the way at times. And that was only watching half, at which time I was really bored.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • brianl
    brianl Posts: 5
    This thread has some contributions that I find helpful. Despite being diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy about 25 years ago (I'm 66 now) I kept up my keen interest in cycling and have done quite a few charity centuries. Until recently I was a regular sportive rider too. Then my cardiologist told me my heart had developed a left ventricular aneurysm, and his advice was to limit my rides to ten miles out and back, no hills. Suddenly E-Bikes looked a lot more interesting. Sadly though, I'm a bit thin-skinned and I'm not sure I'd get much pleasure from riding so long as I thought a majority of other riders were thinking of me as a lazy, fat so-and-so.
  • Angus Young
    BrianL wrote:
    This thread has some contributions that I find helpful. Despite being diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy about 25 years ago (I'm 66 now) I kept up my keen interest in cycling and have done quite a few charity centuries. Until recently I was a regular sportive rider too. Then my cardiologist told me my heart had developed a left ventricular aneurysm, and his advice was to limit my rides to ten miles out and back, no hills. Suddenly E-Bikes looked a lot more interesting. Sadly though, I'm a bit thin-skinned and I'm not sure I'd get much pleasure from riding so long as I thought a majority of other riders were thinking of me as a lazy, fat so-and-so.

Forget what others might think. If you can get out on the trail without doing yourself in, then do it. Some will sneer but that's more a comment on them than it is on you. You are a perfect case where an e-bike makes absolute sense. Just do it!
  • necromunger
    the noise is vibration as its clamped on my handle bars thus sounds like a jet motor lol if it was that loud ppl would see me coming and not have to jump out the way cos there looking at there phone with headphones on i dont need a bell i need a 9mm hand gun. :lol:

anyway this is a race with my m8 on a normal fs trek as says my bike is shite yet cant beat it and even over take a hub bike motor bike 15mph limit is a bitch :roll:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onAUrtwA_Ks
  • cooldad
    the noise is vibration as its clamped on my handle bars thus sounds like a jet motor lol if it was that loud ppl would see me coming and not have to jump out the way cos there looking at there phone with headphones on i dont need a bell i need a 9mm hand gun. :lol:

anyway this is a race with my m8 on a normal fs trek as says my bike is shite yet cant beat it and even over take a hub bike motor bike 15mph limit is a ***** :roll:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onAUrtwA_Ks

Did I mention knob?

If so it was an understatement.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • necromunger
    Did I mention knob?

If so it was an understatement.

yes you did but the only problem is you are a bigger one if you dont like ebikes and you have made that clear enough then bugger of and post in other threads as i am not interested in anything you have to say on the matter.

if you want or interested in a ebike then have a look here.
    http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/
  • cooldad
    You think riding on pavements and scaring pedestrians is a joke?

WTF does that have to do with whether or not I like ebikes or not?

I don't like you, what you ride has bugger all to do with it.

And I'll read and post in any thread I like, whether or not some arrogant tosser approves or not.

ps. The quote function is not hard to use. Do try harder.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • necromunger
    cooldad wrote:
    You think riding on pavements and scaring pedestrians is a joke?

WTF does that have to do with whether or not I like ebikes or not?

I don't like you, what you ride has bugger all to do with it.

And I'll read and post in any thread I like, whether or not some arrogant tosser approves or not.

ps. The quote function is not hard to use. Do try harder.
    thanks ill put that on my cv :lol: