E-Bikes, what do we think?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    More chicken chaser, as you can't pedal a moped.

Put my other front wheel in, normal bike.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    More chicken chaser, as you can't pedal a moped.

Put my other front wheel in, normal bike.

Moped stands for Motor Pedaler and the original mopeds were biclycles with motors, so you could just pedal or use the motor, just like the French VeloSolex.

Today lots of small motorbikes are classed as mopeds but they're not really, just very restricted motorbikes.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Chunkers1980
    Nice info.

This VeloSolex is the classic chicken chaser?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    What's a chicken chaser?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    A motorbike so underpowered it's only good for chasing chickens.
  • Chunkers1980
    Like a Durney from the track cycling world
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    fat daddy wrote:
    If he wasn't pedalling it wasn't an e-bike.

oh ... what do you call those electric bikes then with the throttle and the button that propels the bike forward up to a certain speed without the need to pedal ?

it was likely to be one of those .... or he was fcuking magic

Don't know what he was riding but it wasn't an e-bike. An e-bile requires that you pedal and provides electric assistance that boosts your efforts. You can't just sit there and press a button.

My commuter is now powered. All wheel drive if I pedal. I can just sit there throttle on at 15 mph. It's epic.
    But I go faster than that without a motor?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes, good point, if you are commuting at 30kph then you would have to work hard to power a legal ebike above its limit.
    From my limited experience I think it would be a pain on a pan flat route. Quite fun accelerating from lights but a nuisance when bike power cuts at 25kph.
    But on a hilly route they would smash the hills and they go well downhill. Would also be great for rough paths. I would love to use one with studded tyres in ice and snow when speeds are very slow.
    I think an ebike would be great on a commute if you want to wear civvies or are very tired and really cannot face a rainy headwind slog home.
  • Seb K
    Seb K Posts: 23
    I have an electric MTB, fat bike and folder (all custom built) . They are amazing machines . You can pedal if you like without the motor, with the motor or just use the throttle . They are restricted (by law) but you can easily de-restrict them and the Police would be none-the-wiser....unless you are a moron and go 30mph right past them without pedalling . I know the law changed in Jan 2017 that the throttle could only produce something like 4 amps to the motor which is around 5mph . However bikes made prior to the law (aka my bikes) are exempt .
  • Seb K
    Seb K Posts: 23
    The Rookie wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

oh ... what do you call those electric bikes then with the throttle and the button that propels the bike forward up to a certain speed without the need to pedal ?

Don't know what he was riding but it wasn't an e-bike. An e-bile requires that you pedal and provides electric assistance that boosts your efforts. You can't just sit there and press a button.

My commuter is now powered. All wheel drive if I pedal. I can just sit there throttle on at 15 mph. It's epic.

For how long can you go faster than that and do you sweat (and smell) after your journey ?!!!
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Seb K wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

For how long can you go faster than that and do you sweat (and smell) after your journey ?!!!

I go faster than that riding your mum

My obvious smells terrible after
  • I'm 59 yrs old, overweight but not obese.I have a Specialize Rockhopper SL. I live in the Brecon Beacons in Wales. The Specialize is a super bike BUT for me to ride in the Beacons it's no fun. So I decided to try a Scott e-bike. What a revelation. I can still work hard on the hills but I don't have to get off drain the lactic acid and get on again. My ride is much more pleasurable, comfortable and still keeps me out of the car! My "commute" to work is 9 miles with a 1000 ft change in altitude. 30mins there on the e-bike. 40 mins home (more uphill on the way back). All in all this bike has made my cycling experience much more enjoyable! If your looking to go further for longer and don't have the fitness of Chris Froome get one.
  • The Rookie
    Seb K wrote:
    I have an electric MTB, fat bike and folder (all custom built) . They are amazing machines . You can pedal if you like without the motor, with the motor or just use the throttle . They are restricted (by law) but you can easily de-restrict them and the Police would be none-the-wiser....unless you are a moron and go 30mph right past them without pedalling . I know the law changed in Jan 2017 that the throttle could only produce something like 4 amps to the motor which is around 5mph . However bikes made prior to the law (aka my bikes) are exempt .
    The maximum powered speed/power hasn't changed, what has changed was to make throttled lawful and not just pedalecs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    I don't know what to think of E bikes, on one side they're stupid, but on another side they make sense. I hope I can explain that! On the stupid side it prevents people from using the pedals for exercise, it's like a lightweight easy to store, no fuss to fuel, scooter, which I don't get the logic at that point, either buy a scooter and be done with it or buy a bike for the purpose that was intended...exercise. On the other sense side I guess if a person has weak knees and want's to ride a bike but hills that they may live around prevents them from riding, then maybe an E bike would allow them to ride on level roads and then use the E part when climbing grades so their knees don't die.

Would I ever buy one? Probably not, but maybe? if I got so old that riding a bike for long distance without some sort of aid would be too painful I may invest in one, but short of that I would never buy one. I actually tried one for fun as a E bike show at an LBS about 5 years ago, it was an older version of what they have out now of course but I didn't like it, it was heavy and it was designed like a comfort bike which I hate that geometry, however now they have road bikes that are E bikes which I haven't rode one of those types yet. I will say this, the one I test rode felt like as I was pedaling then kick on the throttle like I turned on a turbocharger, in no time I was at 22 mph with little effort on my part to get there. It was fun, I won't deny that, but again it's not why I ride a bike.

Having said all of that, there is a possibility that I could buy my wife one, she has hip, knees, and back issues and can't ride a standard bike for more than 3 or 4 blocks, so I have contemplating on buying her one so she could ride with me and keep up with me at the same time. But I have a lot of research to do to find the right one. But again I think if someone wants to exercise they should not get an e bike but instead slowly increase their training distances over a period of time, an e bike in this circumstance would only create a lazy person who would rely too much on the battery side of the bike instead of the muscle side.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    On a commute of some 24miles, with 1000ft of climbing home it is starting to add up for me. I've got a 125cc but it's no faster than a bike in town, and I miss the exercise. I smash the commute apart from the last 6 miles home which are all uphill and after a days work I'm usually knackered. It's no fun having to start out at the crack of dawn to have a chance of getting home in time to see the kids off to sleep so now I'm now looking at a pedal assist with a view to getting some exercise and saving on time against a conventional bike. All round they look like a winner to me, and as a weekend MTB'er why not have one bike for all?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I would not buy an ebike with a barge pole. FACT!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    FishFish wrote:
    Not sure how to interpret this one:
    (i) a bargepole is not legal currency - and would make a poor bargaining tool, or
    (ii) an ebike fitted with a bargepole would not make for a balanced ride.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    tootsie323 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    (i) a bargepole is not legal currency - and would make a poor bargaining tool, or

It is a metaphor.

But you could arrange a trade if the perceived value of vendors allowed the exchange of an ebike with a barge pole.
    Generally I accept your point about balance because there is one one axis of summetry that would allow it to be balanced. You might argue that the linear density of the pole is affected if the ends are not identical. Barge pole is two words however. FACT.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Angus Young
    FishFish wrote:
    Generally I accept your point about balance because there is one one axis of summetry that would allow it to be balanced. You might argue that the linear density of the pole is affected if the ends are not identical. Barge pole is two words however. FACT.

Or you could use it like a lance. Works with broom handles.
  • tootsie323
    FishFish wrote:
    tootsie323 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    It is a metaphor.

But you could arrange a trade if the perceived value of vendors allowed the exchange of an ebike with a barge pole.
    Won't argue with that last statement. I'll have a word with my spacebar.
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    tootsie323 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    It is a metaphor.

Won't argue with that last statement. I'll have a word with my spacebar.
    Eek! - space bar.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I like the idea of E-bikes. Getting people on bikes who normally wouldn't / couldn't ride a bike, is a great idea. I don't need one as yet, but it's nice to know they are out there, should the day come, when I can no longer cope with a conventional bicycle.
  • Angus Young
    I like the idea of E-bikes. Getting people on bikes who normally wouldn't / couldn't ride a bike, is a great idea. I don't need one as yet, but it's nice to know they are out there, should the day come, when I can no longer cope with a conventional bicycle.

I'm all for people who 'couldn't' ride a regular bike, but those who 'wouldn't' can stay at home in front of the TV and out of my way.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    I like the idea of an electric cargo bike of sorts, ie a bit of help with carting kids, getting to work, and possibly a trip to the shops would be good - faster in traffic, should make it a bit safer, though the frustrating 15mph limit may inhibit that somewhat :?

Is it a mission to get one de-restricted?

As an aside, my Auntie and Uncle both now have electric bikes - they are both 70, and have ridden for many many years, my uncle used to ride TT's at one point, and they have historically gone on cycling holidays of sorts - the kind where they transport your posessions around the place, and you just ride the bike - fairly genteel by all accounts.

They had not been riding much in previous years, due to a few health issues, so the new bikes (Can't remember the make or price) have given them a renewed enthusiasm for cycling, which to my mind is bloody great, and will also mean our family will be able to go out and ride with them, which will be really nice.

They live in the Cotswolds, so pretty hilly, or can be quite rolling terrain, so a bit of assistance up the hills is probably all they need - keeps them fitter than they would be otherwise, more fresh air, so a healthier existence, not seeing any downsides myself.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472

I'm all for people who 'couldn't' ride a regular bike, but those who 'wouldn't' can stay at home in front of the TV and out of my way.

That's the thing though isn't it?
  • Angus Young
    Daniel B wrote:
    As an aside, my Auntie and Uncle both now have electric bikes - they are both 70, and have ridden for many many years, my uncle used to ride TT's at one point, and they have historically gone on cycling holidays of sorts - the kind where they transport your posessions around the place, and you just ride the bike - fairly genteel by all accounts.

They had not been riding much in previous years, due to a few health issues, so the new bikes (Can't remember the make or price) have given them a renewed enthusiasm for cycling, which to my mind is bloody great, and will also mean our family will be able to go out and ride with them, which will be really nice.

They live in the Cotswolds, so pretty hilly, or can be quite rolling terrain, so a bit of assistance up the hills is probably all they need - keeps them fitter than they would be otherwise, more fresh air, so a healthier existence, not seeing any downsides myself.

Thumbs up to all that.
  • I had a go on an ebike for the first time yesterday. Initially I thought it was great, but once over 25kms it's hard work as you are then pedalling along on what is essentially a heavy old bike. This was. FOCUS Jafirer a MTB hardtail on road tyres. Not convinced that I would want to buy one at this time.
  • The Rookie

Totally agree, I have no issue with those who NEED to use an e-bike for health/injury/disability type reasons, while its nice to think that those who use an e-bike are taking up cycling, the sad truth is that the vast majority will stop at an e-bike.

That said for people who want to commute and it taking a car off the road, that's fine, its a use that is of overall benefit. But 'want' e-bikers on local and centre trails will spoil it for others.
  • E bikes are great! Normal bikes are great!
    I am neither fat or lazy. My average unassisted miles per week commuting on my cross bike is just over 100. A weekend ride into the Peaks from my home would normally range from 35-50 miles with 4000ft of climbing on my Codeine. Like most people I dismissed ebikes and their owners as lazy and cheats. I don't blame them, that's how it looks.

Then I went on an ebike demo day....Now my Codeine is gone and has been replaced with a ebike, why? It allows me to have more fun, simple as that. Whether it be making climbs fun, or allowing more dh runs or allowing me to ride with speed where my skills levels wouldn't normally allow me to carry that speed. They just put a huge grin on your face.
    And isn't that what having a mountain bike is about? Having fun with your mates or going on epic rides?
    So does it matter if its human powered or power assisted? I don't think so, in fact apart from those that need bikes for racing, I can see ebikes outselling conventional bikes sooner than we might believe.
  • I like the idea of E-bikes. Getting people on bikes who normally wouldn't / couldn't ride a bike, is a great idea. I don't need one as yet, but it's nice to know they are out there, should the day come, when I can no longer cope with a conventional bicycle.

I'm only against e-bikes ridden on MTB trails with normal bikes on public tracks. I guess since all riders on "bandit" trails are bandits, that would be a free for all but at least be in poor etiquette. But on public MTB trails, nah. I could see it becoming a douche thing where 250lb bozo can't pedal a mtb but wants to go out and crush on some other riders ruining things (like the trail, or hitting other riders).

When would that be that you can't do it any longer? 105 year old Frenchman begs to differ. Mind you, I'm just having some fun here. :mrgreen:

ap_17004603783323-3fd1204fcb4a28e4ccc3a9c646756ab0c25a3a36-s700-c85.jpg