E-Bikes, what do we think?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You're probably dumb enough to do just that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    yes you did but the only problem is you are a bigger one if you dont like ebikes and you have made that clear enough then bugger of and post in other threads as i am not interested in anything you have to say on the matter.

Which begs the question of why you're posting in the 'mountain bike' section. It looks like you should be posting in the road section.

Oh, and cooldad's right. Riding with the attitude that people need to jump out of your way gives us all a bad name.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCY1F4_WT8

i ride my bike anywhere i want even past police cars ;)

Get off the pavement you idiot.
    That video makes me want an e bike less than before.
    It also makes me want to slap you for riding on pavement.
  • necromunger
    necromunger Posts: 105
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCY1F4_WT8

i ride my bike anywhere i want even past police cars ;)

Get off the pavement you idiot.
    That video makes me want an e bike less than before.
    It also makes me want to slap you for riding on pavement.

you will have to catch me first and i punch and kick back as well :lol:
  • necromunger
    necromunger Posts: 105
    yes you did but the only problem is you are a bigger one if you dont like ebikes and you have made that clear enough then bugger of and post in other threads as i am not interested in anything you have to say on the matter.

Which begs the question of why you're posting in the 'mountain bike' section. It looks like you should be posting in the road section.

Oh, and cooldad's right. Riding with the attitude that people need to jump out of your way gives us all a bad name.
    cos there is not a ebike section on the forum yet but give it time and i bet one will pop up sooner or later :twisted:
  • Angus Young

cos there is not a ebike section on the forum yet but give it time and i bet one will pop up sooner or later :twisted:

And from the videos it still looks as if you should be in the road section, e-bike forum or not.
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    I just got in a pissing match on Facebook about this one, so decided to come over here from Roadie Land to give my $.02

On a public ROAD. Yes, fine. Pay your taxes and have fun.

On a public TRAIL. Hell no. If you want to motoX, then Redbull is ready for you over at the X Games.

The most power difference on most trails betweeen normal riders MAY be the difference between 140 and 240 watts at Zone 4 riding. With an e-bike? You're looking at a differential of well over 500 to 600 watts. Do you want an e-bike blazing past you on single-track at 10mph faster than you're going? That's dangerous.

I can see a valid application for private trails and using it to climb just so you can do some rhythm or flow decents at a park. Otherwise on loops, nope. It's a bit stupid.

I say this because you can claim all day people can be reasonable, or you could regulate the amount of "boost" or "speed". But we all know how that goes. Next you know you have modded e-bikes out cruising at 600w on a public trail at 25mph.

They have every right to buy them. They have every right to sell them. I want you to have your bike and have fun. But I'll continue to support my local government's rules about public trails and bike paths for "No Motorized Vehicles". You can ride your e-bike off-road on private trails. Then I can make a personal decision of if I want to go to your private trails or not and mix with the motorized crowd.

If you have it on a public trail, those people suddenly have zero say in whether they are ok with riding with you on a MTB trail. It's a "just deal with it" scenario that can get ugly quickly.

I say let them on the private trails and on road with cars if they want. But not on public trailspace.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Bike park Wales are now charging double for ebikes. The justification makes sense. They can do double the runs a rider on a normal bike pedaling up will do so they're paying the same per mile.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    If you have a disability or old they are great, my dad has one as a utility bike. But he has thrombosis and he's the wrong side of 70 years old.

I don't really get why anyone would otherwise want one, it completely defeats the purpose.

You may as well just ride a moto X bike.
  • Angus Young
    Bike park Wales are now charging double for ebikes. The justification makes sense. They can do double the runs a rider on a normal bike pedaling up will do so they're paying the same per mile.

Though, by that measure, I should pay half what you pay as my bet is you could do twice as many runs as I could.
  • rockmonkeysc

Though, by that measure, I should pay half what you pay as my bet is you could do twice as many runs as I could.

Maybe a couple years ago I could have. Illness over the last couple years (now recovered) has left me with the fitness of a 90 year old 50 a day smoker who lives on a diet of lard & special brew.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So just your average mountain biker then?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Even worse than that. More like your average E biker.
    I'm still sticking to pure pedal power though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I should hope so, if you rode an e-bike where would you go to get your fitness back?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    ha ha ha .... my 6 year old just enquired to me, whilst on holiday in spain, how the man was managing to go up the trail without pedalling.

I explained to her in a totally unbiased term about e-bikes .... she was furious and demanded I don't get one for various reasons of "its not fair", "its cheating", "you will get fat", "you wont be badass if the bike is doing it all for you" :D

I didn't have the courage to tell her I thought it was quite a good idea and if I had £4k spare I might treat myself
  • Angus Young
    fat daddy wrote:
    ha ha ha .... my 6 year old just enquired to me, whilst on holiday in spain, how the man was managing to go up the trail without pedalling.

I explained to her in a totally unbiased term about e-bikes .... she was furious and demanded I don't get one for various reasons of "its not fair", "its cheating", "you will get fat", "you wont be badass if the bike is doing it all for you" :D

I didn't have the courage to tell her I thought it was quite a good idea and if I had £4k spare I might treat myself

If he wasn't pedalling it wasn't an e-bike.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    My mate who is a National Enduro Champ has an E-bike (Giant Road E+1).

Bought it for his commute, loves it.

Still the same effort as riding a normal road bike, but his average speed into London is now 45km/h not 30.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • fat daddy

oh ... what do you call those electric bikes then with the throttle and the button that propels the bike forward up to a certain speed without the need to pedal ?

it was likely to be one of those .... or he was fcuking magic
  • Angus Young
    fat daddy wrote:

oh ... what do you call those electric bikes then with the throttle and the button that propels the bike forward up to a certain speed without the need to pedal ?

Don't know what he was riding but it wasn't an e-bike. An e-bile requires that you pedal and provides electric assistance that boosts your efforts. You can't just sit there and press a button.
  • fat daddy
    You can't just sit there and press a button.

if you can be arsed ... apparently you can :-

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear ... ist-47319/
  • Angus Young
    That's a motorbike.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Pedals + non human power source = moped
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • fat daddy
    That's a motorbike.

no ... it still comes under EAPC laws despite it having a throttle :-

Throttle control

‘Twist and gos’ – electric bikes manufactured with the capability of being powered by a throttle alone – will require type approval from January 2016. It is considered likely that larger manufacturers will type approve ‘’twist and gos’ before retailing. Where the power of ‘twist and gos’ cuts out at 15.5mph, they will not be considered motor vehicles in the eyes of the law and will not therefore require registration, tax, insurance and rider licensing. The new law will NOT be backdated so any bikes bought prior to January 2016 will not be affected as ‘grandfather rights’ apply. (This is entirely separate to ‘walk assist mode’ throttles that power the bike to a 6kmh top limit i.e. walking speed, to help you push the bike along, which are not affected by this law update.)
  • fat daddy
    robertpb wrote:
    Pedals + non human power source = moped

you can call it what you want ... The law calls them e-bikes

mind you this was spain, so perhaps it was a moped
  • Angus Young
    fat daddy wrote:
    That's a motorbike.

no ... it still comes under EAPC laws despite it having a throttle :-

Throttle control

‘Twist and gos’ – electric bikes manufactured with the capability of being powered by a throttle alone – will require type approval from January 2016. It is considered likely that larger manufacturers will type approve ‘’twist and gos’ before retailing. Where the power of ‘twist and gos’ cuts out at 15.5mph, they will not be considered motor vehicles in the eyes of the law and will not therefore require registration, tax, insurance and rider licensing. The new law will NOT be backdated so any bikes bought prior to January 2016 will not be affected as ‘grandfather rights’ apply. (This is entirely separate to ‘walk assist mode’ throttles that power the bike to a 6kmh top limit i.e. walking speed, to help you push the bike along, which are not affected by this law update.)

It's not what the majority here are talking about. It's not what the majority consider an e-bike. It's not what the majority of e-bikes are.
  • Based on one day's experience, climbing to over 2000m off road in the Alps with teenage kids, i suspect ebikes are going to rightly rocket in popularity for commuting and off road as more people try them.

They are superb fun, climbing with 500w (250w you/250w bike) is a hoot and I defy anyone not to grin when they ride fast up a climb they would usually push up. These things just annihilate gradient.

You can still do yourself in on the climbs if you want to and the pedelecs do require some effort so they are still bikes.

I would be quite happy to see these on my MTb trails, they don't detract from anyone else's experience and the non-motorised bunch are always going to have the extra kudos. We got lots of amused looks as we overtook really hardcore adventure bikers high in the mountains but everyone knew who the real heroes were!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    fat daddy wrote:

Don't know what he was riding but it wasn't an e-bike. An e-bile requires that you pedal and provides electric assistance that boosts your efforts. You can't just sit there and press a button.

My commuter is now powered. All wheel drive if I pedal. I can just sit there throttle on at 15 mph. It's epic.
  • Angus Young
    fat daddy wrote:

My commuter is now powered. All wheel drive if I pedal. I can just sit there throttle on at 15 mph. It's epic.

So, a moped, then.