Poo tin... Put@in...

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,919
    edited September 2023
    Chap who's a fair bit closer to it than I am basically said now the Russians have jettisoned the absolutely hairbrained invasion scheme, the pre-war assessment is not entirely invalid and that the initial invasion strategy made the Russians look considerably worse than they actually are.

Combine that with the current cost of attacking vs defending and you're unlikely to see much change over the next 6-9 months.

Apparently the tactic for Russia has been to fall back as soon as they are attacked, blow it to smithereens with artillery and take it back.

• Chap who's a fair bit closer to it than I am basically said now the Russians have jettisoned the absolutely hairbrained invasion scheme, the pre-war assessment is not entirely invalid and that the initial invasion strategy made the Russians look considerably worse than they actually are.

Combine that with the current cost of attacking vs defending and you're unlikely to see much change over the next 6-9 months.

Apparently the tactic for Russia has been to fall back as soon as they are attacked, blow it to smithereens with artillery and take it back.

Pretty much the German tactics in WW1

Many people would say we only won that after starving them with a naval blockade after not decisively losing the battle of Jutland bay in 1916

Other views are available
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    It's been Ivan's tactic since...well, Ivan...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

It's been Ivan's tactic since...well, Ivan...

It really has not
  • rick_chasey

Chap who's a fair bit closer to it than I am basically said now the Russians have jettisoned the absolutely hairbrained invasion scheme, the pre-war assessment is not entirely invalid and that the initial invasion strategy made the Russians look considerably worse than they actually are.

Many people would say we only won that after starving them with a naval blockade after not decisively losing the battle of Jutland bay in 1916

Yeah it does feel that way. He seemed to think you can avoid "fat trench" stalemate as he called it (because battlefield visibility is so high and so deep) is genuine combined arms, but that takes years to arrange.
  • Chap who's a fair bit closer to it than I am basically said now the Russians have jettisoned the absolutely hairbrained invasion scheme, the pre-war assessment is not entirely invalid and that the initial invasion strategy made the Russians look considerably worse than they actually are.

Yeah it does feel that way. He seemed to think you can avoid "fat trench" stalemate as he called it (because battlefield visibility is so high and so deep) is genuine combined arms, but that takes years to arrange.
    by which time you will have induced political/social/economic collapse in Russia.

or the Ukranian population will refuse to continue paying the butchers bill

or the US will decline the opportunity to keep funding Ukraine
  • rick_chasey
    Dwindling US support is the main obvious risk.

I mean, it is outrageous bang for buck (around 5% of defence spending..!!) but US governance isn’t that rational with so many people voting Trump.
  • It's heading to stalemate. Russia is currently just blocking, not trying to move forward. Neither side has the resource to advance I don't think.

Suspect Ukraine will break through defences at a slow rate than Russia is able to build new ones.

I'm no historian but isn't this very WWI?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,103
    edited September 2023
    This is the kind of thing that Ukraine will keep on chipping away at, and is making Russia's ability to fight back harder, bit by bit by bit. I think Kyiv will be pleased with this one.

• rick_chasey
    Comes a point where it needs to translate into gains
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,724

This is the kind of thing the Ukraine will keep on chipping away at, and is making Russia's ability to fight back harder, bit by bit by bit. I think Kyiv will be pleased with this one.

The Ukraine
  • Comes a point where it needs to translate into gains

It will be muddy soon giving the Russians another several months moths to build defences.

I have not changed my mind that the new border will be on the water features
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,915

It will be muddy soon giving the Russians another several months moths to build defences.

This makes sense and it would probably save a lot of time and lives if both sides become pragmatic about it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    edited September 2023

This is the kind of thing the Ukraine will keep on chipping away at, and is making Russia's ability to fight back harder, bit by bit by bit. I think Kyiv will be pleased with this one.

The Ukraine

"The" was supposed to be "that". Bad form. I shall edit, out of shame.

Indeed, but I still think/hope that patience and the 'chipping away' at Russia's ability to defend will make what might be incremental gains now turn into more significant ones eventually. My ignorant layman's guess is that they still have Crimea as the primary goal, and they are trying to make its defence too hard/expensive for the Russians.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,344
    pblakeney said:

This makes sense and it would probably save a lot of time and lives if both sides become pragmatic about it.
    Do you think we'd be pragmatic about someone taking everything south of the Thames?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,868
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

Do you think we'd be pragmatic about someone taking everything south of the Thames?
    Who’d want it?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,818
    pblakeney said:

I think you two are both kidding yourselves that Putin will settle.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

And I don't think for a minute that Ukraine is yet ready to chuck in the towel, given their determination and sacrifices so far. What they appear to be showing is that even with fairly limited weaponry, they can take out strategic stuff, and if with a few more fancy bits of kit can replicate this morning's haul, it'll make it harder and harder for Russia to hold onto Crimea. I think that's the prize Ukraine wants, to give Putin more than a bloody nose, and payback for his chutzpah.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,915
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

I don't think either side will settle.
    It was optimism over expectation. Mores the pity.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

If the population refuse to pay the butchers bill then they will have to settle.

I read somewhere that Zelensky has a 19 year old son, would be a bit embarassing if he dodged the draft.

Indeed, but I still think/hope that patience and the 'chipping away' at Russia's ability to defend will make what might be incremental gains now turn into more significant ones eventually. My ignorant layman's guess is that they still have Crimea as the primary goal, and they are trying to make its defence too hard/expensive for the Russians.

and yet they have retaken an area the size of Edinburgh.

If you take off the pro-Ukraine blinkers you have to acknowledge that the Russian defence along such a long front is miraculous. Unless Ukraine continues into winter then they will have another 6 months to strengthen
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2023

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

If the population refuse to pay the butchers bill then they will have to settle.

I read somewhere that Zelensky has a 19 year old son, would be a bit embarassing if he dodged the draft.
    I think having some released convicts murder your neighbour and abduct your kids is quite a strong motivator. They've seen what settling looks like since 2014 and in Syria or Georgia or Chechnya. It doesn't stop.

Why would Russia stop if they are rewarded with a bit of Ukraine for their troubles?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

If you take off the pro-Ukraine blinkers you have to acknowledge that the Russian defence along such a long front is miraculous. Unless Ukraine continues into winter then they will have another 6 months to strengthen
    There's nothing miraculous it's just numbers.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    edited September 2023

I know it's probably more wishful thinking than anything else, not least as I've never studied how such (literally) entrenched positions have been overcome in actual wars. It is a depressingly static conflict, on the larger scale.
  • rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

I think having some released convicts murder your neighbour and abduct your kids is quite a strong motivator. They've seen what settling looks like since 2014 and in Syria or Georgia or Chechnya. It doesn't stop.

Why would Russia stop if they are rewarded with a bit of Ukraine for their troubles?
    but on a personal level it is you, your husband, father or son who is getting maimed or killed. You can run out of heroes.
  • rjsterry said:

obviously none of us know the full story but it seems to be far mre than numbers, they seem to have developed very effective tactics and defensive systems.

To not find a weak spot in a 600 mile frontline is remarkable.

My own suspicion is that without air superiorit it is extremely difficult and risky to amass forces.
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2023

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

but on a personal level it is you, your husband, father or son who is getting maimed or killed. You can run out of heroes.
    I think that makes it easier. Supposing there is some settlement. There's absolutely nothing to stop Putin picking up where he left off launching missiles at Kyiv or elsewhere and restarting incursions once he has regrouped. Agreements with people like that are meaningless. Who would hold him to the agreement?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    edited September 2023

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

You can't negotiate with Putin, or at least, if you do, you will end up losing.

He's geared up the entirety of Russia for this war. He will stop at nothing short of nuclear war to win it.

If you don't fully defeat them or at least cripple Russia to the point of regime change, how can you take any peace agreement as anything other than a chance for Russia to regroup and attack again?

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

obviously none of us know the full story but it seems to be far mre than numbers, they seem to have developed very effective tactics and defensive systems.

To not find a weak spot in a 600 mile frontline is remarkable.

My own suspicion is that without air superiorit it is extremely difficult and risky to amass forces.
    I do think that Ukraine's allies drip feeding ordnance is not helping.
    Pinnacle Monzonite