2016 Worlds *spoilers*

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Norwegian guy having a seizure. Just pulled over and passed out
  • Norwegian rider in the junior men's race, just collapsed on the side of the road.
    Didn't look good at all.
    Ah, I see we have posted the same thing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Money over rider safety...
  • Anonymous
    Made for pretty grim viewing, esp when you consider how young they are
  • coriordan wrote:
    Made for pretty grim viewing, esp when you consider how young they are

:(
  • Tweet from key swanny for the US team (who also happens to be the Axeon Hagens Berman swanny):

'Any team doctors in @UCIDOHA2016 that can come help @usacycling and check on an injured athlete?'

Luke Rowe's Garmin recording 47.9°
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Luke Rowe has just tweeted a photo of his garmin showing a temperature reading of 47.9C :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    #25 is swinging.
  • rick_chasey
    Also, do remember the working week in Qatar is Sun - Thurs, so today & tomorrow are their weekends.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    r0bh wrote:
    Is the mens race live on TV at all - can't see it in the listings - is it a red button job ?

Saturday: 10:35-14:45, Cycling - Road World Championships, women's elite road race, BBC Red Button, Connected TV and online (14:30-16:30, highlights, BBC One)

Sunday: 08:20-15:00, Cycling - Road World Championships, elite men's road race, BBC Red Button, Connected TV and online (14:30-17:00, highlights, BBC Two)

Cheers - Eurosport at good for the women but have I think motorcycling and snooker on instead of the mens.

The heat is ridiculous, I rode the Marmotte in 2015 I think when someone died of heat exhaustion on Alpe D'Huez and I got through 6 litres of water just on the Alpe itself - 90% of it over my head mostly from the mountain streams. Despite stopping that often to refill I still set a faster time up there than any of the group I travelled with including the guy that beat me by half an hour on the event overall which I'm convinced is just down to me keeping reasonably cool. I can't imagine how anyone could race for hours in that kind of heat or worse in a tight bunch. How you cope with the heat and how much water you can get over you to keep cool is going to be a major determinant of who wins.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Jacob Egholm from Denmark - amazing solo effort and brilliant set up from team to launch him fro leading group
  • Great work from the Danish team.
    A Belgian involved once again in another pointless crash for something like 20th spot.
    The Dutch join in for solidarity.
  • Anonymous
    Belgium having a tough time
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    imatfaal wrote:
    Jacob Egholm from Denmark - amazing solo effort and brilliant set up from team to launch him fro leading group

Good finish that. Right up to the final hairpin turn it was in the balance. Great job by Johansen and a shame he didn't manage a podium spot along with the french rider.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Do we know if there are any strong winds predicted for Sunday? If not, might just be a watch the last 15 minutes job.
  • rick_chasey
    road-race-men-elite-map.jpg

So forecast is NNW 9 km/h wind with gusts of 15 km/h, which isn't all that much, but it is at the right angle for echelons down that big straight (see above) so let's keep our fingers crossed.

And it's just on the cusp of being not-dangerous heat wise at 35 degrees "feels like 37".
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

The heat is ridiculous, I rode the Marmotte in 2015 I think when someone died of heat exhaustion on Alpe D'Huez and I got through 6 litres of water just on the Alpe itself - 90% of it over my head mostly from the mountain streams.

Pro riders are much better acclimatized than your average Brit on a sportif mind.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • The young girls managed to race that course at just under 40kph.
    The young lads at a bit under 46kph.

I wonder what speed the blokes will manage come Sunday?
  • ITs not Alsace!

14713648_1133263293430065_169278717379097561_n.jpg?oh=599de5a516536234fdb8efbe8b647c4e&oe=5898E96C
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Yeeha! Well in the Danish lads! They're very strong in the younger ranks, hope that talent comes to the fore as they mature.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    What a dump.
  • rick_chasey
    Kuwati rider down - broken collarbone looks like.
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    No water for the Ethiopian, she's going to be parched.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Qatar looks like Sim City used to when I got bored of playing it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    bflk wrote:
    No water for the Ethiopian, she's going to be parched.

If Viviani wins then the desert could become fertile.
  • Most of the riders look like they are riding in little more than a club run, while the lesser nation riders get dropped and climb off, one by one.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yep. It promises to be one of the most boring races of the year. Maybe all flat races/stages should be a maximum of 10km.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Kirsten Wild on the floor. Looks ok but being helped back to peleton by teammate through teamcars (who look even more scary than those in the protours)
  • RonB
    Dutch riders now making the pace and it looks like they might be trying to make a split.
  • RonB
    Why didnt the Brit get a bike change there?