Rio Olympic Track events *Spoilers*

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    If you watch the video here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37079851

You hear the bell ring on the penultimate lap, then when the main pack led by Kennett followed by Cavendish cross the line there's no shot fired. The commentators point out that Boudat didn't make it onto the back of the pack (he was in the process of gaining a lap), so is the bell and the shot actually for Boudat, and when we see Kennett and Cav cross the line they're actually starting their penultimate lap? If that's the case then Cav was bloody lucky that he maintained his position on what he thought was his slowing down lap.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    That all sounds like a bit of a farce. Bell clearly rings as the group go over the line - it's not like the guy only starts ringing it as Boudat crosses the line.
  • graeme_s-2
    TheBigBean wrote:
    That all sounds like a bit of a farce. Bell clearly rings as the group go over the line - it's not like the guy only starts ringing it as Boudat crosses the line.
    True - and I'm only guessing (and based more on the pistol shot than the bell) based on what's said in that NZ article.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Kluge and Hansen gained a lap. The bell rings when they cross the line,in the same group as Cavendish.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    orraloon wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    ^Great shot and win, but I can't argue that whoever designed the graphics on the jackets, needs testing for drugs and an inevitable lifetime ban.

Tbf to the lassie, she was probably conceived under the influence of some pretty good gear.
    Yebbut, surely they could have been made in sizes to fit the individual athlete? Froome looked equally misfitted. A bit like they got what was left on the rack at George at Asda after the bank holiday feeding frenzy.

366 individual sizing's then?
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Kluge and Hansen gained a lap. The bell rings when they cross the line,in the same group as Cavendish.

OK, pretty simple then really, they just sprinted a lap early. I wonder if Gaviria knew and casually rolled around passing Cav and Kennet whilst whistling a tune.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Good spot there chaps surprised the commentators didn't pick up on that. Be interesting to see what other positions changed in that "last lap".
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

If that's the case I would have expected the pros to know that they needed to do one more lap. I haven't got a clue about the rules, but that would seem like a pretty simple one for a competitor to know i.e. is it like F1 or athletics when you've been lapped.
  • graeme_s-2
    I think the organisers must have still mucked this up one way or another. If Cav and Kennett were on their penultimate lap when they sprinted for the line, then surely the bell should have been ringing for them at that point?

I do still wonder if it comes down to Boudat looking like he was going to make it back to the pack and take a lap and then him not quite doing it and still being off the back on the last lap (although that sort of thing must be a regular occurrence in track races).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/8 ... fying-ride

Little bit of elaboration there but yes I didn't hear a bell when Cav sprinted
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Graeme_S wrote:
    If you watch the video here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37079851

You hear the bell ring on the penultimate lap, then when the main pack led by Kennett followed by Cavendish cross the line there's no shot fired. The commentators point out that Boudat didn't make it onto the back of the pack (he was in the process of gaining a lap), so is the bell and the shot actually for Boudat, and when we see Kennett and Cav cross the line they're actually starting their penultimate lap? If that's the case then Cav was bloody lucky that he maintained his position on what he thought was his slowing down lap.

With Kluge and Hanson taking the lap then the other riders in the lapped group would be at -1 (and would have 1 less lap to do) with the head of the race now being Boudat and OShea who were off the front. The bell however went when the main group was passing the start/finish not when Boudat was passing. After this sprint lap most of the riders swung up and stopped racing. When OShea finished his lap the gun went and the other riders were on the back straight - when the gun goes (after the start) during a bunch race that usually means stop racing, not race for another half lap then finish. So i reckon the comms messed it up - riders cant be expected to know what is happening 50 metres behind them, they've got to go on what the officials signal.
  • RichN95.
    They've now changed the results. Kennett the Kiwi back up to 5th, Gaviria down to 8th

New GC standings

Boudat 106
    Viviani 104
    Cavendish 96
    Kluge 90
    Hansen 86
    Gaviria 84
  • TheBigBean
    All sorted then. I'll go back to my original assessment: farce.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407

With the changed result, they've effectively treated it as though Boudat and O'Shea made contact.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Meares into the repechage for the second time in the Sprint.
  • RichN95.
    James and Marchant both through to the last eight (although Marchant nearly got mugged by the German going for an early attack)
  • The BBC seemingly not interested in qualifying rounds.
    Track cycling once again demoted to the red button.
    Becky and Katy both safely through to the QFs, but not quite as easily as one would have hoped.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • graeme_s-2
    RichN95 wrote:
    They've now changed the results. Kennett the Kiwi back up to 5th, Gaviria down to 8th

New GC standings

Boudat 106
    Viviani 104
    Cavendish 96
    Kluge 90
    Hansen 86
    Gaviria 84

Whether it's entirely technically correct or not, I think it's the right thing to do - it seems to reflect what all of the participants thought was happening at the time.
  • mfin
    Hansen managing 4th, 4 to go.

Here goes Cavendish with Kluge
  • mfin
    edited August 2016
    Cavendish goes 5th with 2 more to go. (1st place at the moment, see what Boudat and Vivianni do now)
  • RichN95.
    Cavendish two seconds faster than he was at the Worlds.
  • mfin
    Vivianni going well, Boudat looks ropey.
  • mfin
    edited August 2016
    Vivianni goes 3rd, Boudat only 11th.

Cavendish stays 3rd overall, better placed on points though, equal points to 2nd (126), 14 points behind.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    The BBC seemingly not interested in qualifying rounds.

Bit harsh seeing as it's been on prime time every night so far. Unless you'd rather they drop the finals for qualifying rounds and show trap shooting, archery, equestrian, sailing etc. instead?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    "People think I can't pursuit" - M. Cavendish after the 1k

I wonder who "people" are?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    davidof wrote:
    "People think I can't pursuit" - M. Cavendish after the 1k

I wonder who "people" are?
    Hmm ... not sure I'd want him chasing me ... ! well - on push bikes anyway .. ;)
  • mfin
    Krupeckaite through the repechage.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    Dinyull wrote:
    The BBC seemingly not interested in qualifying rounds.

Bit harsh seeing as it's been on prime time every night so far. Unless you'd rather they drop the finals for qualifying rounds and show trap shooting, archery, equestrian, sailing etc. instead?

It's really harsh. They're providing uninterrupted feeds for 8 sports at a time and still you aren't happy? The main channel(s) are primarily for showing a Team GB athlete winning a medal in anything.

Still, just try finding Greco Roman wrestling.
  • mfin
    Meares out. Zhong through.