Rio Olympic Track events *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Not far off Wiggo's Olympic winning IP ride! Not bad for one of his supposed weaker events.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Hansen sets an OR for the pursuit.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Great rides by Hansen and Cav.

Elimination later isn't it? Is that at about 12?
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    mfin wrote:
    Great rides by Hansen and Cav.

Elimination later isn't it? Is that at about 12?
    23:40, according to the schedule!
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • mfin
    Cool.

Meares through.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Cp2g3mLWEAE_rPx.jpg:large

Sarah Connolly ‏@_pigeons_ · 1m1 minute ago
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Blinding ride by Lasse Norman Hansen. He's on fire. Pulled his team to bronze in the TP and looked really, really strong there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Blinding ride by Lasse Norman Hansen. He's on fire. Pulled his team to bronze in the TP and looked really, really strong there.

Ironically probably cost them a silver with his strength too - they had the Aussies beat until it broke up in the last lap or two when he put the hammer down
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    So is Gav finished?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Hansen first out in the elimination. What an error!
  • germcevoy
    What a gift for Cav if he can place well here.
  • mfin
    Cav being a prat there, cost him a few points
  • germcevoy
    And Cav gets DQ'd for overtaking on the inside but off the track. Woops.
  • mfin
    Had to be Vivianni there, well done him.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Not a good move but not in a good position. Nerves perhaps?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Cav will regret that error. Vivianni was very impressive at the worlds last year.
  • mfin
    Boudat did very well there, he wasn't looking quite as good a few laps back.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    GC standings:

Boudat 106
    Viviani 104
    Cavendish 96
    Kluge 90
    Gaviria 90
    Hansen 86
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Bloody hell Cav what a massive foul up.

Huge chance to take advantage and chucked it away.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Seemed a bit of a panic move but looked like he would have been comfortably safe. The Kazak seemed intent on pinning him in though. Nice tight race after Hansen's mistake though.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Viviani looking good

I'm not a great fan of the elimination, there is a skill to riding it but there is also too big an element of luck involved too.
  • mfin
    Hansen was obviously the one who fudged it the most. Cavendish was showing his non-level headed side, he should do better tomorrow with a couple of events where he doesn't have to use his brain. Vivianni delivering.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Viviani looking good

I'm not a great fan of the elimination, there is a skill to riding it but there is also too big an element of luck involved too.
    Trott I think has proven the Devil has little to do to with luck.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Trott has a good head for it. It reminds me of middle/long distance track. You can get boxed in and miss the move. The extra effort needed to get clear and chase leaves you out of medals. Unless you're really that good.

Cav can still get something so let's look forward to later today. Where do you think he can pick up a place or two?
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Trott has a good head for it. It reminds me of middle/long distance track. You can get boxed in and miss the move. The extra effort needed to get clear and chase leaves you out of medals. Unless you're really that good.

Cav can still get something so let's look forward to later today. Where do you think he can pick up a place or two?

Clancy is my devil man. He's got the right head for it and always rides it well.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Being a bit harsh on Cav there. As Pross said, the Kazakhstan rider was doing everything to box cav in for a sustained period. Trott does have an advantage over Cav in that she can take more risks and keep riding round the outside. This is due to two factors, she is the best in the world at doing so and also the depth of competition is not quite as strong. No male rider could consistently ride past the competition on the outside as Trott does.
    Not knocking Trott in any way, she is an amazing talent.
  • Trott has a good head for it. It reminds me of middle/long distance track. You can get boxed in and miss the move. The extra effort needed to get clear and chase leaves you out of medals. Unless you're really that good.

Reports of him clocking a bloody good time for the flying lap in training t'other day. I mean, REALLY good

The form he's on, I think he'll post a very decent Kilo.

Then it's go for broke in the Points Race
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I'm quite glad I can't stay awake for all this. I don't think my nerves could handle it. :?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Anyone know why Gaviria got 5th place in the scratch race ahead of Cav?

Been trying to figure that myself. Clearly NZ guy in front of Cav, Gaviria behind. No one seems to have noticed???
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Anyone know why Gaviria got 5th place in the scratch race ahead of Cav?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/8 ... fying-ride

Still not sure I fully understand, but basically, lap-based cock up