Lizzie

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not sure Mo Farah was average :

"Farah represented Hounslow at cross-country in the London Youth Games.[24] In 1996, at the age of 13, he entered the English schools cross-country and finished ninth. The following year he won the first of five English school titles.[21] Recognising his talent, athletics philanthropist Eddie Kulukundis paid the legal fees to complete Farah's naturalisation as a British citizen, allowing Farah to travel to competitions without visa issues.[25][26]

Farah's first major title was at 5000 metres at the European Athletics Junior Championship in 2001,[27] the same year that he began training at St Mary's University College, Twickenham. That year, Farah became one of the first two athletes in the newly formed Endurance Performance Centre at St Mary’s. He lived and trained at the College, and took some modules in an access course before becoming a full-time athlete as his career progressed."

I'm pbing at 5k's now and I'm pushing 50. Its not that i'm cheating - just that I hadnt trained as effectively in the past. So I dont think an improvement in the 20's should be a massive eyebrow raiser.

You'd hope he'd be clean just like most of us hope Froome is clean - but there's no smoking gun around for either of them.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Didn't Froome have an underlying condition/illness?

And it doesn't take much work to see Mo's links with suspicious characters and pick holes in his attempts to distance himself.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Re Farah, he was decidely average up to 2009, when he was already 26, by which age, world class athletes have generally shown world class form. He did the European 5k/10k double and went sub 13 minutes for 5k in 2010, which was his first foray into genuine world class form, though even this was a level down from winning world and Olympic titles from 2011 onwards, having relocated to Oregon to train with Salazar in Feb 2011.

To come to prominence so old having been a full international for several years is unusual. The timing of his move to Salazar and then making the progression to world class shortly afterwards given the age factor is certainly eyebrow raising. (Or at least it raise my eyebrows.)

Anyway, Mo seems like a decent guy, and one can't fault his commitment / tactical savvy in races.

Is that more or less suspicious than Froome's "transformation"?

Don't know, but Froome thinks Africa is a great place to train too.

"Froome now returns to the African continent from Europe to train prior to the start of the season. Last year, he was accompanied by Dutchman Wout Poels." :D

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ica-214149
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Fenix wrote:
    Not sure Mo Farah was average :

"Farah represented Hounslow at cross-country in the London Youth Games.[24] In 1996, at the age of 13, he entered the English schools cross-country and finished ninth. The following year he won the first of five English school titles.[21] Recognising his talent, athletics philanthropist Eddie Kulukundis paid the legal fees to complete Farah's naturalisation as a British citizen, allowing Farah to travel to competitions without visa issues.[25][26]

Farah's first major title was at 5000 metres at the European Athletics Junior Championship in 2001,[27] the same year that he began training at St Mary's University College, Twickenham. That year, Farah became one of the first two athletes in the newly formed Endurance Performance Centre at St Mary’s. He lived and trained at the College, and took some modules in an access course before becoming a full-time athlete as his career progressed."

I'm pbing at 5k's now and I'm pushing 50. Its not that i'm cheating - just that I hadnt trained as effectively in the past. So I dont think an improvement in the 20's should be a massive eyebrow raiser.

You'd hope he'd be clean just like most of us hope Froome is clean - but there's no smoking gun around for either of them.

He certainly wasn't average, but he suddenly became a world beater, only Kenyans and Ethiopians can do that in middle distance running.
  • joe2008 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Re Farah, he was decidely average up to 2009, when he was already 26, by which age, world class athletes have generally shown world class form. He did the European 5k/10k double and went sub 13 minutes for 5k in 2010, which was his first foray into genuine world class form, though even this was a level down from winning world and Olympic titles from 2011 onwards, having relocated to Oregon to train with Salazar in Feb 2011.

To come to prominence so old having been a full international for several years is unusual. The timing of his move to Salazar and then making the progression to world class shortly afterwards given the age factor is certainly eyebrow raising. (Or at least it raise my eyebrows.)

Anyway, Mo seems like a decent guy, and one can't fault his commitment / tactical savvy in races.

Don't know, but Froome thinks Africa is a great place to train too.

"Froome now returns to the African continent from Europe to train prior to the start of the season. Last year, he was accompanied by Dutchman Wout Poels." :D

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ica-214149

Do they both eat quorn tho, joe? With all the shocking news you've told me about Farah, that would be the clincher for me
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,597
    Ah yes, Africa that single, homogeneous place...

RR2 - you're going to make me choke on my quorn soon...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,966

Do they both eat quorn tho, joe? With all the shocking news you've told me about Farah, that would be the clincher for me

What's with the sarcasm?
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    dish_dash wrote:

Next to Asia, isn't it? How did this thread get on to Farah?
  • davidof wrote:

So the lovely Pauline is with someone :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I know, and imagine, going out with that bloke who used to play David Wicks son in East Enders too!

...and she and I looked great together :lol:

ff191.jpg

file.php?avatar=300051_1444648754.jpg
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    professeur wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

He missed 2 out of competition tests too.
  • Fenix wrote:
    So I dont think an improvement in the 20's should be a massive eyebrow raiser.

For a Weekend Warrior maybe. But Farah was a fully fledged international in his early-mid 20s, with access to top class facilities and coaching. He will have been training "properly" from a pretty young age. So one has to ask, what would have changed between age 25 and 28? There's not much that can change physically by that age, and improvements due to training are quite small. (Running training is not really that complicated.)

Off the top of my head in UK athletics, our individual middle/long distance running gold medalists in world/Olympics during my lifetime have been: Ovett, Coe, Cram, Holmes, Radcliffe and Farah.

Ovett was #1 in the world aged 21.

Coe was triple world record holder aged 22.

Cram was world champion aged 22.

Holmes didn't start running seriously until age 22 and was a double World medalist age 25.

Radcliffe was junior world champ and serial senior world medallist "near miss" from her early 20s.

The top rowers and cyclists are also very good very young. (Steve Redgrave, Matt Pinsent and Greg Searle were all Olympic champions aged 22 or under).

So in general, if you're going to be exceptional as a senior, you will have shown near exceptional form in your early 20s.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

Too close to call...

Mo was at least a decent international athlete pre late development but doesn't have anything obviously legit to explain his development to world beater.

Froome went from canon fodder to world beater in about 6 weeks in 2011, but the mystery illness story is at least something to hang onto if you're a "believer".
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,450
    davidof wrote:

So the lovely Pauline is with someone :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I know, and imagine, going out with that bloke who used to play David Wicks son in East Enders too!

...and she and I looked great together :lol:

ff191.jpg

file.php?avatar=300051_1444648754.jpg

My broken DD & PFP 4 EVAH Heart is the main thing I have taken from this I admit...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    smithy21 wrote:
    professeur wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

He missed 2 out of competition tests too.

Ah, yes - thanks!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    joe2008 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    The sceptics are perfectly organised and never miss a pill, appointment, bus or putting the bin out. Sanctimonious.
    'She misses a test and then goes and wins her next race'! So she should have deliberately thrown it so as not to appear suspicious?

Lizzie has never tested positive. Will it take another 40+ victories and 75 blood tests before she has a clean reputation?
    I'm sure from this point forward, she will be more diligent but for now, she remains human.

But, the point is it's not a pill, appointment, bus or bin, it's something that her whole career depends on, I reckon you'd be pretty diligent about that.

Like Mo now, forever tainted.

Hang on a Mo. Tell me more about 'Tainted Mo'

Seriously, you believe he's clean; his association with Alberto Salazar and Galen Rupp, plus training camps in Kenya... really.

Oh my word, this sounds perfectly dreadful. Can you tell me more? I will certainly make sure not to cheer for Mo in any way shape or form.

There was quite a lot in mainstream media about this last year, somehow nothing came of it (apart from Mo pulling out of a race in Brum)

Only to be expected really, every sportsperson Nike attach themselves to seems to turn out a wrong'un.

Got to say I would be extremely surprised if Mo was clean with everything that's been reported.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,190
    Froome went from canon fodder to world beater in about 6 weeks in 2011, but the mystery illness story is at least something to hang onto if you're a "believer".
    That's not actually true though is it.

In reality he went from a raw talent in 2007, to being tipped as Britain's future GC contender in 2008, via a team collapse, knee injury and illness, getting proper one to one coaching for the first time and steadily improving performances to coming second to Cobo (no-one's idea of a world beater himself). This 'World Beater' didn't actually win a stage race for another year and a half.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,240
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Too close to call...

Mo was at least a decent international athlete pre late development but doesn't have anything obviously legit to explain his development to world beater.

Hmm, he'd put in some reasonable performances before then, but admittedly with wild inconsistency (and lots of crashing). http://inrng.com/2011/08/chris-froome-vuelta-leader/ .

He also seems to have a less conventional route into the sport compared to Mo - Mo had been involved from a young age whereas Froome came to the pro scene and training etc. much later.

Anyway that has all been discussed in much more detail elsewhere, I was just trying to get a response from our "everyone is doping" friends...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,477
    Cards on the table - I'm a huge Mo fan. Athletics is my #1 sport.

It all goes back to proving a negative. With only the evidence of tests successfully passed (and we all know a certain LA who used that argument), there is little Farah can do to prove he is clean. Though some of the theories don't really stand up to scrutiny:-
    - late developer? Well, given his early track record and then failure to capitalise on it in his early pro years simply indicates he hadn't found the training approach to get the most out of himself. If the logic of that argument is followed, moving to Salazar as a coach should have had zero impact. That it did have an impact doesn't show anything other than whatever he is doing today (with Salazar - legal or illegal, and I think legal) works and maximises his potential.
    - beating all the East Africans? You can raise a sceptical eyebrow at the East Africans he is nowhere near as fast as instead surely? 5000m WR is 12:37, Mo's PB is 12:53. Miles off. He wouldn't beat Kenenisa Bekele in his prime. He is beating who is on the track today, at paces which Bekele would destroy. Does that mean Bekele was a doper? Or just supremely talented? Who knows.
    - Salazar connection? Mud sticks, and its easy to throw it today. Most of the documentary which threw out allegations against Salazar were comprehensively rebutted. But fewer people pay attention to that than to the sensationalist headlines. You don't think that USADA would be all over Salazar like a rash if there was anything to investigate? But again, we won't know the outcome of a negative investigation, as that's not how drug testing regimes work, partly because of the "mud sticks" argument.

At the end of the day, Mo is a championship racer. He wins most of his races by fractions of a second. Whilst he is consistently the man that has that fraction of a second edge, and that makes him dominant, he isn't dominant in the same way that Tergat, Bekele, Haile etc were in their days. Simply all out faster, by some margin, than their competitors.

He's criticised for not running world record attempts etc. I suspect that's simply because he isn't capable of them. He's gifted as someone with great endurance combined with exceptional speed endurance. He is ranked in the top 10 all time for 1500m, but wins medals at 5000 and 10000 with PBs way outside of the top 10 all time at those distances.

Have faith that he is clean - the world seems a much nicer place that way!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Hmm, he'd put in some reasonable performances before then, but admittedly with wild inconsistency (and lots of crashing). http://inrng.com/2011/08/chris-froome-vuelta-leader/

Maybe I'm being harsh, but decent/reasonable performances in your early/mid 20s are quite hard to convert to GT winning efforts in your mid/late 20s unless you've really been training badly.

If you've got the basic physiological material, you can get very close to your maximum potential off relatively unsophisticated training. Froome was racing as a pro from 2007 IIRC, and would have done a lot of high quality miles between 2007-2011. (I know some teams were a bit unsophisticated, but riding 30k kilometers per year including racing is going to tap into at least the mid 90s percent of what you're capable of.) So some prominent showings in one week stage races should surely have resulted from three or four years of even unsophisticated training of what must be - if he is legit - phenomenal physiology.

To achieve what Froome did pre 2011 based on such physiology would require actively going out of your way to train badly (or to be constantly slightly ill).

I can accept that it might take Sky's attention to detail to convert such performances into winning short stage races and to being competitive at longer stage races.
  • larkim wrote:
    Have faith that he is clean - the world seems a much nicer place that way!

A good plan!

I should emphasise that I'm not particularly bothered about doping. What I don't like is a lack of commitment and neither Froome nor Farah (nor Lizzie) could be accused of lacking commitment.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,966
    larkim wrote:
    He is ranked in the top 10 all time for 1500m

You don't find that a touch suspicious given that he now has a really refined training programme for 5km and 10km?
  • RichN95.
    I should emphasise that I'm not particularly bothered about doping.
    Yet it's the topic you post about the most.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,477
    TheBigBean wrote:
    larkim wrote:

You don't find that a touch suspicious given that he now has a really refined training programme for 5km and 10km?

It's certainly unusual. But he runs the 1500m at a time when he is working on speed in his build up to 5000 or 10000 champs, so he is speed optimised at that point. Plus the top 10 list for 5 and 10 may well be well populated by EPO / blood doping performances as they were often put down before the tests / passports etc were in place (with a notable exception being one race in Paris in 2012). Though if I'm being true to my principles I have to accept than in the absence of a failed test, the results stand.

e.g. for 5000m
    1	12:37.35	Kenenisa BEKELE	13 JUN 1982	ETH	1		Hengelo (Blankers-Koen Stadion)	31 MAY 2004
    2	12:39.36	Haile GEBRSELASSIE	18 APR 1973	ETH	1		Helsinki	13 JUN 1998
    3	12:39.74	Daniel KOMEN	17 MAY 1976	KEN	1		Bruxelles	22 AUG 1997
    4	12:46.53	Eliud KIPCHOGE	5 NOV 1984	KEN	1		Roma (Stadio Olimpico)	02 JUL 2004
    5	12:46.81	Dejen GEBREMESKEL	24 NOV 1989	ETH	1		Paris Saint-Denis (Stade de France)	06 JUL 2012
    6	12:47.04	Sileshi SIHINE	9 MAY 1983	ETH	2		Roma (Stadio Olimpico)	02 JUL 2004
    7	12:47.53	Hagos GEBRHIWET	11 MAY 1994	ETH	2		Paris Saint-Denis (Stade de France)	06 JUL 2012
    8	12:48.64	Isiah Kiplangat KOECH	19 DEC 1993	KEN	3		Paris Saint-Denis (Stade de France)	06 JUL 2012
    9	12:48.66	Isaac Kiprono SONGOK	25 APR 1984	KEN	2		Zürich	18 AUG 2006
    10	12:48.77	Yenew ALAMIREW	27 MAY 1990	ETH	4		Paris Saint-Denis (Stade de France)	06 JUL 2012
    11	12:48.81	Saif Saaeed SHAHEEN	15 OCT 1982	QAT	1		Ostrava	12 JUN 2003
    12	12:49.04	Thomas Pkemei LONGOSIWA	14 JAN 1982	KEN	5		Paris Saint-Denis (Stade de France)	06 JUL 2012
    13	12:49.28	Brahim LAHLAFI	15 APR 1968	FRA	1		Bruxelles	25 AUG 2000
    14	12:49.50	John Chepkwony KIPKOECH	29 DEC 1991	KEN	6		Paris Saint-Denis (Stade de France)	06 JUL 2012
    15	12:49.71	Mohammed MOURHIT	10 OCT 1970	BEL	2		Bruxelles	25 AUG 2000
    16	12:49.87	Paul TERGAT	17 JUN 1969	KEN	3		Zürich	13 AUG 1997
    17	12:50.24	Hicham EL GUERROUJ	14 SEP 1974	MAR	2		Ostrava	12 JUN 2003
    18	12:50.25	Abderrahim GOUMRI	21 MAY 1976	MAR	2		Bruxelles (Boudewijnstadion)	26 AUG 2005
    19	12:50.55	Moses Ndiema MASAI	1 JUN 1986	KEN	1		Berlin (Olympiastadion)	01 JUN 2008
    20	12:50.72	Moses Ndiema KIPSIRO	2 SEP 1986	UGA	3		Bruxelles (Boudewijnstadion)	14 SEP 2007
    21	12:50.80	Salah HISSOU	16 JAN 1972	MAR	1		Roma (Stadio Olimpico)	05 JUN 1996
    22	12:50.86	Ali SAÏDI-SIEF	15 MAR 1978	ALG	1		Roma (Stadio Olimpico)	30 JUN 2000
    23	12:51.00	Joseph EBUYA	20 JUN 1987	KEN	4		Bruxelles (Boudewijnstadion)	14 SEP 2007
    24	12:51.34	Edwin Cheruiyot SOI	3 MAR 1986	KEN	1		Monaco (Stade Louis II)	19 JUL 2013
    25	12:51.45	Vincent Kiprop CHEPKOK	5 JUL 1988	KEN	2		Doha (Hamad Bin Suhaim)	14 MAY 2010
    26	12:51.96	Albert Kibichii ROP	17 JUL 1992	BRN	2		Monaco (Stade Louis II)	19 JUL 2013
    27	12:52.33	Sammy Kipketer CHERUIYOT	29 SEP 1981	KEN	2		Oslo	27 JUN 2003
    28	12:52.45	Tariku BEKELE	28 FEB 1987	ETH	2		Berlin (Olympiastadion)	01 JUN 2008
    29	12:52.80	Gebregziabher GEBREMARIAM	12 OCT 1984	ETH	3		Roma (Stadio Olimpico)	08 JUL 2005
    30	12:52.99	Abraham CHEBII	23 DEC 1979	KEN	4		Oslo	27 JUN 2003
    31	12:53.11	Mohamed FARAH	23 MAR 1983	GBR	1		Monaco (Stade Louis II)	22 JUL 2011

2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    larkim wrote:

No because he trains to win championships at 5000m/10000m not run times. And that requires being the fastest over the last couple of laps. However, his last lap time isn't fast enough to win medals at 1500m.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Sorry for not being clear - I'm not bothered whether folk dope or not. The subject of doping (procedures, excuses, reactions etc.) clearly fascinates me.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    larkim wrote:

No because he trains to win championships at 5000m/10000m not run times. And that requires being the fastest over the last couple of laps. However, his last lap time isn't fast enough to win medals at 1500m.

Agreed. If someone comes along in the 5k / 10k who can sustain the pace in the mid sections long enough to put Mo into difficulty then his sprint will be nullified. (Akin to what folk tried on Steve Ovett but never succeeded until Coe/Straub and then Cram did they job.)

Ironically, the last lap in the major championship 5k can be faster than at 1500m which in turn is faster than in the 800m. (Seb Coe said the 800m is about who slows down least not who can sprint best.) Yet in further irony, put a top class 1500m running in a slow 5000m race and the winner is most likely the 1500m runner. Hicham El Guerrouj somehow persuaded the field in the 2004 Olympic 5k final to run "slowly" (13:14 - relative term!) until 200m to go and won easily easing up in the final 10m.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,802
    There are more complications in bike racing though which make it difficult to judge how much faster a rider has got. Was he getting team support back then, what were his bunch skills like, was he riding for himself or someone else, was his race programme focussed on what was best for him or his team, how long had gphe been racing at the top level, was he doing much specific TT training and did he have the best TT kit, wind tunnel time etc?

If we are talking about transformations late in his career you'd have to say the same of Wiggins. If both Wiggins and Froome are suspicious then Sky and by implication BC are suspect. Could Froome dope without the knowledge of at least some of the senior Sky staff? I think it's the wider implications that lead most to conclude he is clean.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RichN95 wrote:

Sorry for not being clear - I'm not bothered whether folk dope or not. The subject of doping (procedures, excuses, reactions etc.) clearly fascinates me.
    You should check out this place then: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewforum.php?f=20
  • RichN95.
    Paul 8v wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You should check out this place then: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewforum.php?f=20
    He'a not only aware of it, I think he used to be a moderator. (Suggesting a rider might be clean gets you a ban for trolling)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He'a not only aware of it, I think he used to be a moderator. (Suggesting a rider might be clean gets you a ban for trolling)
    Haha, I love looking on there, it's insane.

They basically state in one thread, as an absolute fact that Froome, Evans, Nibali and Lemond are all dopers and they can't understand why people worship them and not Floyd Landis :mrgreen:

Wiggo is definitely not legit as he has a "high cadence" :lol::lol::lol:

Is it all some tongue in cheek joke or are they actually lunatics?