Lizzie

Comments

• jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    She looks like she hasn't slept for the last few days, she's cracked with emotion and strain

I feel disappointed and so so so sorry for Lizzie at the moment. She's no cheat, but she's been slaughtered and it's all typically started without knowing all of the facts.

She's been failed by a support structure that she put in place to avoid this exact situation. I hope she can pull herself together, work with the psych and prove that she is a worthy athlete in the women's RR.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:
    http://snpy.tv/2aBhrE0

She should go home. Her head is gone.

Why would she not race - this is a huge event for her and sure she's under even more pressure than she would have been but this is what she devotes her life to.

It may be that the situation - not just her state of mind on the day but the loss of race prep and the pressure of the preceding weeks - means she under performs but there is only one way to find out and that is to race.

She just isn't in the right frame of mind. Maybe it will all disappear when she gets on the bike but she can feel what's hanging over her and she knows any medal she wins is going to be a curse.

She has made the trip so I'm sure she'll race but equally, I wouldn't be surprised to see her take a back seat.

as I said yesterday I just dont think in the state she appears to be in at the moment she'll even complete the full course,talk of medals I think that chance has gone completely now,completing the course is probably as good as a win because she just looks completely overwhelmed,drained & mentally not ready to race at all, bearing in mind the worst part was surely in the build up to the hearing two weeks ago, and whilst the last 72 hours might have been a shock, it was predictable.

and I cant imagine any other athlete at these olympic games, other than those merely happy to compete by being there, is currently just "hoping" once competing in their sport with their race number on, the race instincts will kick in and theyll forget all this other stuff,elite sport is about that 1% of head space not hoping but knowing, so they need to get someone like Steve Peters out there asap, because I cant see the race going well for her at the moment at all :cry:
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    That was uncomfortable to watch and that's coming from someone with little sympathy for her.
  • Dinyull wrote:
    That was uncomfortable to watch and that's coming from someone with little sympathy for her.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't watch it - the screen shot looked painful enough.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    After seeing that I have no doubts to be honest, not that I did before anyway. Either that or she's been having lessons from a certain Texan.

Hope she gets her head right and smashes it!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Some people on Twitter are extremely mean. In fact most of them based on the comments under that video.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Some people on Twitter are extremely mean. In fact most of them based on the comments under that video.

She's bolloxed up, but she's the one who will have to deal with the ramifications - the effect on her reputation, and probably future financial deals.

There's simply no excuse for the vile abuse being dished out.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    She doesn't seem to understand that as a professional cyclist, she already was under constant suspicion. All this has done is shift the balance.

Do we know how many out of competition tests she has had in the last year?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    Dinyull wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I didn't watch it - the screen shot looked painful enough.

Difficult to watch indeed, properly feel for her - I hope she gets to enjoy the race whatever the outcome.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    She doesn't seem to understand that as a professional cyclist, she already was under constant suspicion. All this has done is shift the balance.

She's had 16 tests in the last 12 months.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • kingstongraham
    JSCL wrote:

Is that a "no"?
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    What a complete mess! Sadly she's made her own bed, yes she's been let down by others and circumstances haven't helped but she has got to take a large chunk of the blame. I think she is clean, I base than on nothing more than what I have seen, read and heard, she's never failed a test so I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt, however, as she says herself this is always going to follow her around. Hopefully she'll clip in on Sunday and everything else will disappear and she'll just do what she loves to do, ride her bike. Be great if she medals but getting round would be a success at the moment I think.

And the reaction from the vast majority on social media is absolutely disgusting. Its seems as far as most are concerned a missed test equals a failed test which is very much not the case. It's a sad indictment of society at large but then again anything the internet creates for good is quickly turned bad.
  • dinyull
    JSCL wrote:

Is that a "no"?

Dish_Dash posted this earlier:
    She says 16 tests in 2016

22 race days
    6 podiums

So if you assume she got tested for every podium (plus another for winning the ToB) then that's potentially up to 9 tests OOC.

And FWIW she top 10-ed 9 times...
  • Its seems as far as most are concerned a missed test equals a failed test which is very much not the case.

Is that right? Most of what I've read suggests that folk can accept 1 missed test, but 3 and a load of "shaggy dog" stories is harder to take.
  • dinyull
    In some sports a missed test equals a failed test.
  • kingstongraham
    I saw that, but assume it is not just the podium finishers that get tested, but podium plus x number of others chosen "at random". I would hope the world champion is more likely to be "randomly" tested. So up to 9 is anything from 0 to 9.

Just interested in what proportion of unexpected potential tests were not conducted.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Its seems as far as most are concerned a missed test equals a failed test which is very much not the case.

Is that right? Most of what I've read suggests that folk can accept 1 missed test, but 3 and a load of "shaggy dog" stories is harder to take.

Well this really.

I agree with most of what SBF is saying. I think she could have played this better by taking a bit more responsibility rather than blaming others.

On the social media point there is no excuse for abuse but if she releases an awful statement on Twitter finishing off by telling people to go and ride their bikes then she should know what to expect.
  • dinyull
    Yeah, you'd like to think that the WC is tested more often, for PR purposes as much as anything.

Would be interesting to see proportion of OOC's for sure.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Dinyull wrote:
    In some sports a missed test equals a failed test.

Isn't that just an in competition test though? Pretty sure the 3 strikes rule applies across all sports run under the WADA code in acknowledgment that the sort of mistakes in the case can and do happen.
  • dinyull
    Possibly....is football under WADA?

Comment was based on Rio Ferdinand missing a test and receiving a 8 month ban, that was almost 15 years ago now mind.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    I really don't understand why sportspeople / celebrities use Twitter to be honest. OK with celebrities it might be a way of publicising themselves and keeping their career going but in sport you keep your career going with results and all a Twitter account does is give people a channel through which to personally abuse you. No matter how popular you are someone will look to do this and if you do or say anything slightly controversial the trolls come out from under their bridges in droves.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,644
    So, CAS ruled and the position therefore is that she has only missed two tests.

We don't know precisely how many OOC tests she has taken. 0-9 seems to be the range over a 6 month period.

She clearly takes responsibility in that interview with Orla.

No one mentioned PFP's botox injections yet... legal under WADA apparently...
  • bobmcstuff
    Its seems as far as most are concerned a missed test equals a failed test which is very much not the case.

Worth bearing in mind CAS held up that the 1st missed test doesn't count because UKAD didn't do it properly, so she's not actually missed 3.

The two she has missed which were her own fault is clearly a f'up on her part, if you excuse the family emergency story (given we don't know what it actually was), missing the other one just shows that you can't afford to balls up like that because you never know when you're going to have e.g., a family emergency and wasting a strike through error is really foolish.
  • Even the most successful female riders aren't tested anything like as frequently as successful male riders

60-70 in a year for someone like Cav vs 16 for the women's World Champ
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

Worth bearing in mind CAS held up that the 1st missed test doesn't count because UKAD didn't do it properly, so she's not actually missed 3.

Agreed, o/wise she'd be banned! Whilst CAS cleared her, there is an element of the "shaggy dog" story about why she was cleared on the last test, which won't sit well with everyone.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,644
    Even the most successful female riders aren't tested anything like as frequently as successful male riders

60-70 in a year for someone like Cav vs 16 for the women's World Champ

Ja, but remember it is 16 tests over 7 months (she says 16 tests in 2016). Also, Armitstead had 22 race days thus far in 2016 vs Cavendish's 53 race days. So fewer opportunities for in-competition testing for a start.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,398
    edited August 2016
    Dinyull wrote:
    Possibly....is football under WADA?

Comment was based on Rio Ferdinand missing a test and receiving a 8 month ban, that was almost 15 years ago now mind.

Rio legged it after being notified he was required for a test, so it counted as a missed test (same severity as failed test on WADA scale) rather than a Whereabouts violation.
  • Deleted.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Agreed, o/wise she'd be banned! Whilst CAS cleared her, there is an element of the "shaggy dog" story about why she was cleared on the last test, which won't sit well with everyone.
    No, and perhaps she shouldn't have contested that one, given that she doesn't seem to have said what the family emergency was (?). Without detail it makes it sound worse than maybe it is. Bound to look bad.
  • dinyull
    dish_dash wrote:
    So, CAS ruled and the position therefore is that she has only missed two tests.

We don't know precisely how many OOC tests she has taken. 0-9 seems to be the range over a 6 month period.

She clearly takes responsibility in that interview with Orla.

No one mentioned PFP's botox injections yet... legal under WADA apparently...

Correct, BUT she didn't know CAS would clear the first miss. To miss 2 further tests is dicing with death.