Nairo can't roll and is massively over rated, discuss..

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited October 2016 in Pro race
Well I think he is :lol:
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I don't. I expect him to claw back the three minutes from Froome by Sunday and take the MJ.
  • josame
    Garry H wrote:
    I don't. I expect him to claw back the three minutes from Froome by Sunday and take the MJ.

There's more chance that I will be ice skating on the Thames this week..

If we compare him to Bertie at the age of 26 - he is a bit of an underachiever (1GT v 4 GT)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    He's a one-trick pony and not even very good at that. It will be a insult to cycling if he ever wins another GT with so much other good talent around. It will take a massive parcours fudge with loads of climbing and little or no TT for him to stand any chance. Even then all the other contenders will need to fall off and abandon but I suppose it worked for Nibali in the Giro this year so anything's possible.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He's a very good rider, but he's not very exciting. There is an "idea" of him as a successor to Contador but I don't think he is really.

Good discussion about him on yesterdays cycling podcast
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Nairo is good, he's just not quite as good as his initial form in 2013 was leading us to all believe. Plus his team isn't exactly supportive of him, he'd do better elsewhere - or somewhere without Valverde.
  • josame
    iainf72 wrote:
    He's a very good rider, but he's not very exciting. There is an "idea" of him as a successor to Contador but I don't think he is really.

Good discussion about him on yesterdays cycling podcast

Thanks I'll check it out.

For the record the thread title is a bit click baity I do rate him, just disappointed at the mo
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I don't think that someone who has won a Giro and been second in the Tour by 26 is overrated. However, he is a diesel powered chugger and like his type before, he'll likely find that there's usually someone better. (See also Ullrich, Basso, Evans etc)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    I agree with the OP... he was supposed to tear the world of GT apart and in three years (2013-2016) he has barely won a Giro in the absence of opposition and nailed two TdF podiums without giving the impression he could actually win the race, basically he didn't do any better than Aru. In the same period, the less rated Nibali has won three GT, an ageing Contador has won 2 and Froome is on the way to the third Tour. His form is patchy and his climbing ability probably over rated... maybe we were barking at the wrong tree after all
    left the forum March 2023
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    He's finished
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Sky should employ him as a climbing domestique for Froome. He'd only have to move up one place in the line to fulfill that role.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd have him as the second best GC rider in the world right now, a better TTer than his last effort suggests, one of the few who has ridden away from Froome on a big mountain in the Tour and almost certainly a future winner.

Whether he's lived up to his promise - maybe not - but he did promise to be right up there with Froome by now. I'd like to see him race more and to be more adventurous when he does race - even if he doesn't want to gamble in the Tour take a chance in some of the more minor races just to get that feel for jumping away, repeated attacks when you aren't sure you can sustain them etc. I'm not a big Movistar fan though they always seem fairly conservative with their tactics so maybe a change of team would help.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    He's an excellent rider and will probably finish second again this year. As many have said, he's not very exciting though and never seems to take the initiative.

Froome is a class above, but even without Froome in the race, he would probably lose it as someone else takes control. Someone who might not have quite the physical gifts.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    He'll win a TdF and a couple more Giros/Vueltas before he retires.

He won't beat a fully fit Froome though
  • We won't ever know, and indeed he won't ever know unless he locates his balls and actually tries to beat Froome.

If he really is giving it all just to stay on Froome's coat tails, he does a bloody good job of hiding his exertion.
  • josame
    I'll be interested to see how he fares at the Vuelta
    Also I wonder why he is a chugger, maybe he should change his style
    Evans didn't always chug
    Could he work on having a kick?
    When he went away on ventoux (be it for a few mins) he didn't exactly fly away from the group.
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    josame wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

If we compare him to Bertie at the age of 26 - he is a bit of an underachiever (1GT v 4 GT)

I think you'll find everyone's an underachiever in this regard, including Froome.

I feel like Nairo gets a lot of smug bile on here because he doesn't attack enough the one guy that can beat him. However, he does always seem to have a go at least 2/3 times per Tour. He's just not as strong as Froome over the whole race.

Anyway, I refuse to call a guy that has 1 GT and 2 TdF podiums, so far, an undeachiever. I do, however, wish he would race more.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    results do to some extent speak for themselves... don't know that could be over-rating.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Milton50 wrote:
    He'll win a TdF and a couple more Giros/Vueltas before he retires.

He won't beat a fully fit Froome though

One gets a window of opportunity... typically 5-6 tours, very rarely more... he has already 4 under the belt and he was prime cut beef on his first one... I'd say he has a couple more years before other stronger riders come through... and Froome has another 1-2 years in the tank too, so I don't think he will win the Tour
  • professeur
    professeur wrote:
    josame wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

I think you'll find everyone's an underachiever in this regard, including Froome.

I feel like Nairo gets a lot of smug bile on here because he doesn't attack enough the one guy that can beat him. However, he does always seem to have a go at least 2/3 times per Tour. He's just not as strong as Froome over the whole race.

Anyway, I refuse to call a guy that has 1 GT and 2 TdF podiums, so far, an undeachiever. I do, however, wish he would race more.

Oh, plus Basque, Burgos, Tirreno, Romandie, and Catalunya.
  • josame
    professeur wrote:
    professeur wrote:
    josame wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Gerraint Thomas won Paris-Nice for gods sake, he needs to up his game to deserve the credit we are giving him.
  • professeur
    josame wrote:
    professeur wrote:
    professeur wrote:
    josame wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Gerraint Thomas won Paris-Nice for gods sake, he needs to up his game to deserve the credit we are giving him.

OK, you are trolling for responses then.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I like Nairo. Perhaps he's racing clean? His racing suggests he is, although not so sure about his training schedule... Anyway, the tour isn't over yet, the business end starts tomorrow.
  • ugo.santalucia
    professeur wrote:

The point is that at the end of July 2013 we would have bet on Quintana being dominant in GTs in the years to come... and 9 GT later this has not happened and looks increasingly unlikely to happen. So yes, on these grounds he is an underachiever... he will win a few chippers and maybe a Vuelta, but I fear that's it...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It is odd how such a small, south american climber doesn't seem to have much of a kick.

The mountain TT in the 2014 Giro was, what, 25km at a relatively smooth 8%? He was happy as larry chugging his way up that.
  • professeur
    professeur wrote:

The point is that at the end of July 2013 we would have bet on Quintana being dominant in GTs in the years to come... and 9 GT later this has not happened and looks increasingly unlikely to happen. So yes, on these grounds he is an underachiever... he will win a few chippers and maybe a Vuelta, but I fear that's it...

Yeah, fair enough from that perspective. I guess I never saw him as a potential super-dominant guy given size and TT ability so my perspective is a little different. I wonder how he feels about his palmares?
  • josame
    professeur wrote:
    OK, you are trolling for responses then.

Bit odd to post on here if you don't want a response, I meant the point I made, minor trophies do not a great champ make
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    With the exception of Geraint Thomas, he is the most overrated rider in the Peloton
  • ugo.santalucia
    EPC06 wrote:
    With the exception of Geraint Thomas, he is the most overrated rider in the Peloton

Geraint Thomas is only over rated in the UK, elsewhere they barely know him
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,724
    It's more people are disappointed that there isn't more of a tussle between him and Froome.

Ultimately that's all we want. A decent GC battle.

He teased us with his Alp ride last year. We were hoping for more.
  • josame
    It's more people are disappointed that there isn't more of a tussle between him and Froome.
    Ultimately that's all we want. A decent GC battle.
    He teased us with his Alp ride last year. We were hoping for more.

Agreed