TdF 2016 Stage 12 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Wouldn't be a proper Tour without some grotesque scandal.

Beats riding around with someone else's blood in your veins.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    mfin wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    Froome dropped back and rode behind him for a bit before he (Froome) attacked which is pretty unusual for him/Sky.

Froome and to some extent Sky have been riding unusually all Tour so not a huge surprise - he's really lit the race up so far (him, Sagan and Cavendish!)

Cavendish hasn't, he's just won a few stages. If his form is unexpected that hardly counts as 'lighting things up' (crap phrase that).

Aren't you just full of good humour today!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    Froome dropped back and rode behind him for a bit before he (Froome) attacked which is pretty unusual for him/Sky.

Froome and to some extent Sky have been riding unusually all Tour so not a huge surprise - he's really lit the race up so far (him, Sagan and Cavendish!)

Cavendish hasn't, he's just won a few stages. If his form is unexpected that hardly counts as 'lighting things up' (crap phrase that).

What I said is true though, Cavendish hasn't lit anything up, and it's a crap phrase :) there, I've put a smiley on.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    I also feel for Richie Porte as without the mechanical's/moto crashes he would obviously be capable of getting on the podium or at least putting Froome under more pressure than Quintana has so far.

I'm gutted for him, yet await the expected collapse in form.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Not disappointed in Quintana's performance, I think if you are you have been suckered in by the over-hype about him.
    I agree with this.

Quintana never claimed to be the big GC hope, people did. There's no denying that on a good day, he can climb well. But he just isn't explosive enough when it needs to be. I think he'd be a good super domestique in the mountains for a team though.

Don't write Quintana off just yet, we all know how good he is in the 3rd week.
    I've never seen him struggle like today though.

Except last year and the year before in the Tour 2nd week?
    He was still coming second or third on stages then though. Today he needed Valverde to keep up with the top ten filler.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • BlueDynamo
    BlueDynamo Posts: 143
    mfin wrote:
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    Blatant disregard of rule No. 42 there by Froome.
    This is probably going to go down in history as one of those 'iconic'* moments that only cycling can conjure up

You're right about that, and I predict hundreds of posts on here starting this year where people make puns or attempts at jokes involving Froome running as soon as they think of one, (because people on here are original like that).

Can't work out whether your response was in sarcasm because you seem to have carefully selected parts of my post to quote?

To avoid confusion I think today makes the sport a laughing stock which is not a good thing.

Apologies if I have jumped to the wrong conclusion!
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Quite fun reading through the thread reactions live.

Hard nosed neutral fans come out with 'spices up GC' - the bigger sky fan bois come out with 'it's a farce' instantly and a the rest somewhere in-between.

;)
  • BlueDynamo

Hard nosed neutral fans come out with 'spices up GC' - the bigger sky fan bois come out with 'it's a farce' instantly and a the rest somewhere in-between.

;)

I think it would have been a farce if this happened to any rider. This just got even more focus because of the yellow jersey.
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Another view of events here.

https://twitter.com/11uisagusti/status/ ... 6815314944

There's that prick from Poland again. ClearIy has no interest in the race, only interested in just running in front of the camera bike with his placard. WTF do people like him bother going for. Complete 'tard.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002

;)
    Oh please, you don't need to be a Sky fan to consider that a farce...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It was farcical. Not befitting of the biggest race on the calendar with as much money as is necessary.

An embarrassment for ASO.

And frankly something needs to be done about (some of) the 'fans'. Maybe everyone who runs alongside or acts like a knob has to have a braincell inserted with a f*cking big stick.
  • bobmcstuff

;)

Pretty sure I said both!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    Blatant disregard of rule No. 42 there by Froome.
    This is probably going to go down in history as one of those 'iconic'* moments that only cycling can conjure up

You're right about that, and I predict hundreds of posts on here starting this year where people make puns or attempts at jokes involving Froome running as soon as they think of one, (because people on here are original like that).

Can't work out whether your response was in sarcasm because you seem to have carefully selected parts of my post to quote?

To avoid confusion I think today makes the sport a laughing stock which is not a good thing.

Apologies if I have jumped to the wrong conclusion!

No, I was agreeing with you that this is one of those iconic moments, it will be remembered for years.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ATTENTION BEDWETTERS get over your outrage. What a bunch of froome lovers. one of the best stages for years, based on previous commissaire decisions the timing should have stood.

Then Froomedoggy dog could have wooofed back into the lead. as it is it looks like being kenyan still isnt enough to arouse suspicion even with a new interpretation of the rules to help.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The Ministry of Boris probably didn't help Froome plight.
  • bobmcstuff
    mfin wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

What I said is true though, Cavendish hasn't lit anything up, and it's a crap phrase :) there, I've put a smiley on.

Dunno, before the Tour I had Kittel down to win all the sprints - it definitely made the early part of the race more interesting to me (at least the first one).
  • bobmcstuff
    ATTENTION BEDWETTERS get over your outrage. What a bunch of froome lovers. one of the best stages for years, based on previous commissaire decisions the timing should have stood.

Then Froomedoggy dog could have wooofed back into the lead. as it is it looks like being kenyan still isnt enough to arouse suspicion even with a new interpretation of the rules to help.

Previous commissaire decisions like the one where Yates got awarded his time gap this very tour?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Seems like there's a few people on here who've got a thing about bedwetting...

I'm sure there are more appropriate sites on the Internet for that sort of special interest.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • joelsim
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Previous commissaire decisions like the one where Yates got awarded his time gap this very tour?

Ignore it. Jealousy is an ugly 'virtue'.
  • joelsim
    Got to say though, this thread is a bit more active than usual.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CnWtiWxXYAAzfer.jpg

He makes those marathon guys look like hundred metre runners.
  • above_the_cows
    Another view of events here.

https://twitter.com/11uisagusti/status/ ... 6815314944

There's that prick from Poland again. ClearIy has no interest in the race, only interested in just running in front of the camera bike with his placard. WTF do people like him bother going for. Complete 'tard.

Seriously how can Froome run that fast up Ventoux in cleats? I'm still gobsmacked.

And nice to see some fans being nice to Toblerone Boy. I thought that footage of Porte fiddling with his chain or whatever was from just after the crash i.e. next to where they crashed but obviously not. He obviously got back on and then stopped.
  • BlueDynamo
    I hadn't picked up on this when reading the thread but I've read elsewhere that the reason Juan Antonio Flecha is so passionate about this is that he was on the end of a commissaries decision in 2011 while in a break when a car hit him and Jonny Hoogerland crashed into the barbed wire fence. He's claiming this is no different so why hasn't it been judged the same as his incident.

I can only think its due to the yellow jersey and the distance from the finish when compared to his incident.

• joelsim
    Having just watched the highlights after a few hours of mulling, the big winners today were Movistar and Lady Garden.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    IMO If you consider that to be a great stage, you're not a fan of bike racing. It was circus sh1t not racing...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • above_the_cows
    ^Yep. That was a yes to Joel.
  • joelsim
    Jez mon wrote:
    IMO If you consider that to be a great stage, you're not a fan of bike racing. It was circus sh1t not racing...

^This. Fascinating. For all the wrong reasons.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Joelsim wrote:
    Having just watched the highlights after a few hours of mulling, the big winners today were Movistar and Lady Garden.
    They were very lucky. Would have been a minute plus of deficit otherwise.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    I hadn't picked up on this when reading the thread but I've read elsewhere that the reason Juan Antonio Flecha is so passionate about this is that he was on the end of a commissaries decision in 2011 while in a break when a car hit him and Jonny Hoogerland crashed into the barbed wire fence. He's claiming this is no different so why hasn't it been judged the same as his incident.

I can only think its due to the yellow jersey and the distance from the finish when compared to his incident.
    Another difference is that road was completely blocked by the incident (same as with Yates's inflatable).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Well that was weird.

Love the choice of music in the ITV closing credits
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.