TdF 2016 Stage 12 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Do I count as one of your bedwetters, because I don't like people being booed?

Do you like Coldplay? That's another sure fire bedwetter identifier.

But booing is stupid.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    mfin wrote:
    Not disappointed in Quintana's performance, I think if you are you have been suckered in by the over-hype about him.
    I agree with this.

Quintana never claimed to be the big GC hope, people did. There's no denying that on a good day, he can climb well. But he just isn't explosive enough when it needs to be. I think he'd be a good super domestique in the mountains for a team though.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    iainf72 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

But booing is stupid.

Not a big fan of Coldplay, but do like one or two of their tracks, so I suppose the jury's out on that one...

But I make no apology for disliking booing that is completely unmerited.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,399
    I just went on L'Equipe and spent 10mins reading comments on the article about the stage through Google Translate - surprisingly balanced actually. More balanced than the Loony Bin anyway!
    The Cycling Podcast ‏@cycling_podcast · 3h3 hours ago

Froome's bike has been found - seat stay broken. Then whisked away to be checked for a motor (seriously) #TDF2016

Ha, perfect!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

But booing is stupid.

Not a big fan of Coldplay, but do like one or two of their tracks, so I suppose the jury's out on that one...

But I make no apology for disliking booing that is completely unmerited.

Is it 'Yellow' by any chance? :wink::wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    JSCL wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Not disappointed in Quintana's performance, I think if you are you have been suckered in by the over-hype about him.
    I agree with this.

Quintana never claimed to be the big GC hope, people did. There's no denying that on a good day, he can climb well. But he just isn't explosive enough when it needs to be. I think he'd be a good super domestique in the mountains for a team though.
    I still think he is a GC contender, it's just the way that some people go on about him makes you think he'd never lost a summit finish before! He may well be the best pure climber in the peloton when he is on form, but today showed he clearly isn't there right now... getting dropped by Froome is one thing, getting dropped by the rest of the GC group is not a good sign!
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    I can't believe people booed Froome on the podium. What is wrong with people?

I don't get what your problem with this is. People boo sportsmen they don't like. It's not snooker or golf. It's a hard sport. I am sure he can take it

I'm sure he can take it, but why should he have to when he's done nothing wrong?

He's obviously not liked in France, you only have to see how he's been targeted on the road and by French TV, and some of the reader comments in l'Equipe are outrageous. If I was Froome, I'd win this one and then do an 'up yours' and ride the Giro and Vuelta next year.

Some people don't like dominant sportsmen. They like the underdog.

Froome is dominating cycling at the moment and those that don't like him were probably doubly disappointed that Quintana was so bad.

its all a bit pantomime. I can't believe any professional sportsmen gives two sh1ts about it but bedwetters on the internet clearly get a bit upset.

Sounds like it. As I said, it's pantomime stuff. People booed Cameron at Wimbledon for Christs sake. Pretty sure he laughed it off. Froome won't give a toss about it either.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I'd call the last 2km somewhat mildly chaotic but people quickly forget the real disgrace in all this. Fabian and Froome cancelling the stage with 30km to go because of an everyday crash.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Who is this emadden dicksplash? What a moron.

To Froome fans and every other decent human being.
  • gingermagician
    gingermagician Posts: 326
    edited July 2016
    ASO made the only decision they could in terms of maintaining the credibility of the race from the perspective of ending up with the 'right' winner.

Obviously you can debate the semantics of what 'right' means. Or argue about inconsistency of application, which would be valid in terms of the rules and how others have seemingly been penalised in similar circumstances.

But I really can't see how anyone can argue that the 'right' decision wasn't made today in the wider context of what the TdF represents. Give it a couple of days and we'll all be focused on what the mountains might bring, whereas the alternative would have us still talking about the 'what ifs' and effectively undermining the race as a whole.
  • smithy21
    adr82 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I agree with this.

I still think he is a GC contender, it's just the way that some people go on about him makes you think he'd never lost a summit finish before! He may well be the best pure climber in the peloton when he is on form, but today showed he clearly isn't there right now... getting dropped by Froome is one thing, getting dropped by the rest of the GC group is not a good sign!

Yes, his attacks looked like something he thought he should do rather than being a good idea. A bit laboured with no real kick. Clearly felt he had to try something today but looked like there was nothing there. Froome dropped back and rode behind him for a bit before he (Froome) attacked which is pretty unusual for him/Sky. Quintana may have a big week 3 but looking at him today I would say he may be ill.
  • joelsim
    JSCL wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I agree with this.

Don't write Quintana off just yet, we all know how good he is in the 3rd week.
  • joelsim
    ASO made the only decision they could in terms of maintaining the credibility of the race from the perspective of ending up with the 'right' winner.

Obviously you can debate the semantics of what 'right' means. Or argue about inconsistency of application, which would valid in terms of rules and how others have seemingly been penalised in similar circumstances.

But I really can't see how anyone can argue that the 'right' decision wasn't made today in the wider content of what the TdF represents. Give it a couple of days and we'll all be focused on what the mountains might bring, whereas the alternative would have us still talking about the 'what ifs' and effectively undermining the race as a whole.

Agree. If 2 minutes are lost due to the failings of the organiser rather than the rider(s), then they need to remedy it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Joelsim wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I agree with this.

I've never seen him struggle like today though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    JSCL wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I agree with this.

Super domestique! He's got 2 second place finishes for Christ's sake what do you need to do to be considered a contender?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • smithy21
    Joelsim wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I agree with this.

He looked bad today. Rolland's pointless attack lasted longer than Quintana's digs. They were almost apologetic.
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I agree with this.

Except last year and the year before in the Tour 2nd week?
  • BlueDynamo
    BlueDynamo Posts: 143
    Blatant disregard of rule No. 42 there by Froome.

However, in all seriousness...

This is probably going to go down in history as one of those 'iconic'* moments that only cycling can conjure up (see also Orica Greened bus crash on Stage 1 in 2014 and Adam Yates getting taken out by the flamme rouge this year). These things all add up to making the make the sport look like a bit of joke to the outside world.

I thinking a lot of the booing was down to the fans being in the dark about the reclassification. It still wasn't right though.

Hindsight is also a wonderful thing but surely ASO could have predicted that more people in less space could increase the likelihood of this type of thing happening.

I also feel for Richie Porte as without the mechanical's/moto crashes he would obviously be capable of getting on the podium or at least putting Froome under more pressure than Quintana has so far.

*farcical
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread
  • BlueDynamo
    BlueDynamo Posts: 143

Obviously you can debate the semantics of what 'right' means. Or argue about inconsistency of application, which would be valid in terms of the rules and how others have seemingly been penalised in similar circumstances.

But I really can't see how anyone can argue that the 'right' decision wasn't made today in the wider content of what the TdF represents. Give it a couple of days and we'll all be focused on what the mountains might bring, whereas the alternative would have us still talking about the 'what ifs' and effectively undermining the race as a whole.

+1
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    newton98 wrote:
    Cheers for the quotes bobmcstuff.

I don't understand the photographer thing, whenever riders talk about excessive motorbikes they seem to imply the necessity of these photographers. Do they somehow indirectly contribute a lot of revenue somewhere in the ecosystem, whether via printed or online press? They seem weirdly sacrosanct when I'd have thought you could ditch a lot of them.

Drones anyone?

and then we remember why drones are a bad idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvF49R_ZX5E

dont replace one set of hazards with another without understanding the causes, today was really all about crowd control and elements of moving the finish, both of which were and are entirely within the race organisations control to fix.

and photographers do contribute alot through the photos they take, as the one perfect capture from a stage will used globally to sell the race in magazines, newspapers, sponsors promotional stuff, books and so on.

why there would be 4 like that together, I thought tbf they ran a pooled system, so all the photos are available to every outlet,its not a case of lucking into being in the right place at the right time, but obviously if the peleton splits youd want more than one photographer following the race, so its probably by chance they happened to be stuck like that, probably because again the crowd made it difficult for the bikes to escape
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,399
    smithy21 wrote:
    Froome dropped back and rode behind him for a bit before he (Froome) attacked which is pretty unusual for him/Sky.

Froome and to some extent Sky have been riding unusually all Tour so not a huge surprise - he's really lit the race up so far (him, Sagan and Cavendish!)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Joelsim wrote:

Obviously you can debate the semantics of what 'right' means. Or argue about inconsistency of application, which would valid in terms of rules and how others have seemingly been penalised in similar circumstances.

Agree. If 2 minutes are lost due to the failings of the organiser rather than the rider(s), then they need to remedy it.

The ASO didn't make the decision, and nor could they. It was down to the commissaires/race jury. Prudhomme agrees with the decision but he can't influence it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    We're all still bored, yeah?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I agree with this.

Except last year and the year before in the Tour 2nd week?
    He didn't ride the Tour in 2014, and I don't remember him getting dropped by anyone but Froome last year...?
  • smithy21
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    Froome dropped back and rode behind him for a bit before he (Froome) attacked which is pretty unusual for him/Sky.

Froome and to some extent Sky have been riding unusually all Tour so not a huge surprise - he's really lit the race up so far (him, Sagan and Cavendish!)

I meant he was checking him out. Usually Sky ride their own race but I think Froome realised Quintana was screwed, wanted to make sure, and then nailed him.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    Considering the number of bike changes they used, I hope all Astanas bikes were checked for motors?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    Blatant disregard of rule No. 42 there by Froome.
    This is probably going to go down in history as one of those 'iconic'* moments that only cycling can conjure up

You're right about that, and I predict hundreds of posts on here starting this year where people make puns or attempts at jokes involving Froome running as soon as they think of one, (because people on here are original like that).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    ooof, just caught up.

Wasn't like that back in the day...! You'd get your bad luck and you'd suck up the time loss, but yeah, wasn't really much else they could have done to solve it.

Feel bad for Mollema. Greatest performance in his career by miles.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    iainf72 wrote:
    If it had been the stage as it was supposed to be (to the top), how many minutes down would Quintana be now?

Quite right.

TdF overall, RIP.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

Cavendish hasn't, he's just won a few stages. If his form is unexpected that hardly counts as 'lighting things up' (crap phrase that).