TdF 2016 Stage 12 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    EPC06 wrote:
    got to love Gary Imlach's sarcasm
    Again, pointless comment. No-one knows what you’re talking about.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    After watching the ITV highlights I can't believe Froome actually ran that far and that quickly up that slope, in cycling shoes with cleats, after cycling up those gradients and for that far on the stage and with his cyclists legs.

Jeetje! I try and run sometimes in the winter when cycling isn't an option and I'm bored of the turbo and my cyclists legs aren't happy. I suppose adrenaline plays a big part but still...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    EPC06 wrote:
    got to love Gary Imlach's sarcasm
    Again, pointless comment. No-one knows what you’re talking about.

of course they dont
  • above_the_cows
    smithy21 wrote:
    I can't believe people booed Froome on the podium. What is wrong with people?

I don't get what your problem with this is. People boo sportsmen they don't like. It's not snooker or golf. It's a hard sport. I am sure he can take it

Because it's rude and I was brought up to have manners.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    poppit wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

I don't get what your problem with this is. People boo sportsmen they don't like. It's not snooker or golf. It's a hard sort. I am sure he can take it
    I think that some of us just don't like or comprehend that sort of behaviour.

Really. Tough old world out there sometimes. Maybe better for you to stay in your safe space.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Maybe he voted for Brexit?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    BOOOOOOOOO how dare Froome be involved in a collision with 2 motorbikes BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I think that's the thought process.
  • above_the_cows
    smithy21 wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

I don't get what your problem with this is. People boo sportsmen they don't like. It's not snooker or golf. It's a hard sort. I am sure he can take it
    I think that some of us just don't like or comprehend that sort of behaviour.

Really. Tough old world out there sometimes. Maybe better for you to stay in your safe space.

That was unnecessary.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    "Froome very lucky no riders punched him for running too close to them."
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    People booing are idiots but it's not a new phenomenon, in decades gone by riders have been beaten up by "fans" .

Motos - we don't need stills photographers in those numbers and definitely not on finishing climbs. The riders should be preceded by a police bike to clear the way and that's it.

The road should be closed to traffic for as long as practical - if you can walk or cycle up fine but it would cut the numbers of fans down - ban parking on the mountains where possible too. I no longer look forwards to a Ventoux or Alpe D'Huez stage - I've done both climbs many times but you don't recognise them when there are just walls of fans there. I would rather they race on empty roads tbh I would like to see them on the mountain not surrounded by twits in Borat mankini, wearing elk horns or whatever else they think up to draw attention to themselves.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    coriordan wrote:
    "Froome very lucky no riders punched him for running too close to them."

Actual LOL.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    One thing for sure, this tour no questions regarding froomes bike handling skills. Good cleat runner too!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Turfle wrote:
    BOOOOOOOOO how dare Froome be involved in a collision with 2 motorbikes BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    :lol:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    adr82 wrote:
    4AEmzrY.jpg

I though that mouth breather of a spectator in the swiss top looked familiar, it's only bloody Nigel Farage.

(Which also explains why he doesn't look happy, he probably doesn't consider Froome as british).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If it had been the stage as it was supposed to be (to the top), how many minutes down would Quintana be now?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375

If you think Froome is doping, it's understandable*

If you're neutral towards Froome: you see Froome come in 2 mins down to GC rivals and then he miraculously is still in yellow. If you hadn't been online checking out the details, you wouldn't have a clue what was happening and it would appear a farce, so again understandable*

* Understandable why people could feel aggrieved enough to boo, not saying they should!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    smithy21 wrote:

I don't get what your problem with this is. People boo sportsmen they don't like. It's not snooker or golf. It's a hard sport. I am sure he can take it

I'm sure he can take it, but why should he have to when he's done nothing wrong?

He's obviously not liked in France, you only have to see how he's been targeted on the road and by French TV, and some of the reader comments in l'Equipe are outrageous. If I was Froome, I'd win this one and then do an 'up yours' and ride the Giro and Vuelta next year.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Yeah, Quintana's performance has kind of been forgotten about. Being unable to stay with a group containing riders like Meintjes, that's pretty blooming shocking.

Dan Martin too. Real shame to see him so bad today.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    there was even an idiot with a camera running in front of froome trying to get a photo when he get his own bike at the end.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    smithy21 wrote:

Yeah, but unlike the England football team, he'd done nothing to merit it.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    People booing are idiots but it's not a new phenomenon, in decades gone by riders have been beaten up by "fans" .

Motos - we don't need stills photographers in those numbers and definitely not on finishing climbs. The riders should be preceded by a police bike to clear the way and that's it.

The road should be closed to traffic for as long as practical - if you can walk or cycle up fine but it would cut the numbers of fans down - ban parking on the mountains where possible too. I no longer look forwards to a Ventoux or Alpe D'Huez stage - I've done both climbs many times but you don't recognise them when there are just walls of fans there. I would rather they race on empty roads tbh I would like to see them on the mountain not surrounded by twits in Borat mankini, wearing elk horns or whatever else they think up to draw attention to themselves.

+1
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

I'm sure he can take it, but why should he have to when he's done nothing wrong?

He's obviously not liked in France, you only have to see how he's been targeted on the road and by French TV, and some of the reader comments in l'Equipe are outrageous. If I was Froome, I'd win this one and then do an 'up yours' and ride the Giro and Vuelta next year.

Some people don't like dominant sportsmen. They like the underdog.

Froome is dominating cycling at the moment and those that don't like him were probably doubly disappointed that Quintana was so bad.

its all a bit pantomime. I can't believe any professional sportsmen gives two sh1ts about it but bedwetters on the internet clearly get a bit upset.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,399
    edited July 2016
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    So after all that are we agreed that Quintana isn't the Messiah? I couldn't understand why he kept looking round when he made his move or was it that he couldn't? Orica are going to be all over him if there is a chance to get Yates onto the #2 step.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Todays stage was unforgetable for many reasons but good the jury made the right decision and leave Froome in yellow. No honest rider would have wanted to take the yellow jersey away from him in those circumstances. What did surprise me was the negative comments from the Dutch NOS commentators claiming that Froome was a man in total panic and did not know what to do. Personally if i were in his shoes with the team car 5 minutes away and less than a Km from the finish i,d have done the same as Froome. The NOS commentators also pointed out that riders are not allowed to leave the bike and set off either walking or running they must stay where they are and wait for help . It was also said that they hoped the jury would look at all the video evidence before making any decision but Froome definitely broke the rules by leaving his bike.There was little sympathy for Froome from the Dutch but of course massive praise for Mollema. I,m very dissapointed at that.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493

+1
  • mfin
    I agree that anything that can be done to lessen the amount of fans on some of these climbs, or get rid of them all so we can watch them climb on an empty road would be much, much better.

Every time there's a major climb the numbskulls are out in force, if you get rid of all the tw*ts who wait for the riders all day or more and then take photos on their phones as they come past that would help as half the crowd would be gone. If you're that stupid to wait all that time just to take a photo you're an idiot, no question.

Any morons running alongside the riders deserve to have the sh1t kicked out of them.

God knows how you stop it though, the only practical way is to take measures to reduce the crowds as I don't think they'll change behaviour when you look at how many idiots there are on climbs like today's.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The Cycling Podcast ‏@cycling_podcast · 3h3 hours ago

Froome's bike has been found - seat stay broken. Then whisked away to be checked for a motor (seriously) #TDF2016
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mfin
    Not disappointed in Quintana's performance, I think if you are you have been suckered in by the over-hype about him.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    smithy21 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

Some people don't like dominant sportsmen. They like the underdog.

Froome is dominating cycling at the moment and those that don't like him were probably doubly disappointed that Quintana was so bad.

its all a bit pantomime. I can't believe any professional sportsmen gives two sh1ts about it but bedwetters on the internet clearly get a bit upset.

Do I count as one of your bedwetters, because I don't like people being booed?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.