TdF 2016 Stage 12 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Another view of events here.

https://twitter.com/11uisagusti/status/ ... 6815314944

There's that prick from Poland again. ClearIy has no interest in the race, only interested in just running in front of the camera bike with his placard. WTF do people like him bother going for. Complete 'tard.
    Richie Porte looks like he's smiling even while he's remounting his hastily repaired bike half way up Ventoux having just had a GC damaging crash with a race moto. His face just seems to be permanently fixed in a grin. I'm starting to find it unsettling.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    r0bh wrote:
    Video has emerged from the aftermath of the Froome/Porte/Mollema moto crash that seems to show Quintana getting a tow from the Mavic neutral service moto. Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673

He (and Valverde) already got given 7 seconds back to get them the same time as the Yates group, so doesn't make any difference.

:?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    r0bh wrote:
    Video has emerged from the aftermath of the Froome/Porte/Mollema moto crash that seems to show Quintana getting a tow from the Mavic neutral service moto. Thoughts?

That needs some official sanction IMO (as do Aru's shenanigans), whatever fine/time penalty the rules already set out. Don't care if he wasn't going very fast, you're still saving energy by getting a tow up the hill. You just shouldn't do that, full stop.
    He (and Valverde) already got given 7 seconds back to get them the same time as the Yates group, so doesn't make any difference.
    Well it does show that he was struggling badly enough that he thought he needed to risk taking a tow, and then still got dropped in the remaining few hundred metres...
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2016
    keydon wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    UCI Rule: 1.2.109: you can cross the finish line on foot as long as you have your bike with you

EDIT: not sure if there is a rule that states that the course must only be covered by bike... still looking

How could there be if you can cross the line on foot?

Here it is, RULE 14 of UCI Regulations:

"14.
    Wilful deviation from the course, attempt to be placed without having covered the entire course by bicycle, resuming the race after having accepted a lift in a vehicle or on a motorbike..."

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/26/68/12-DIS-20160101-E_English.pdf
    www.dotcycling.com
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Maybe Quintana can claim that the bike had just stopped suddenly in front of him and he'd put his hand out so he didn't run into the back of it and crash? ;)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    FocusZing wrote:
    CnX3wbzUEAA1sJj.jpg

He's lucky it wasn't his leg the bike ran over. Could have been a lot worse.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    r0bh wrote:

Looks to me like he was just trying to get a wheel to help Froome. :mrgreen:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    r0bh wrote:

Eh?
    Handed a 7 second bonus AND gets a tow from the motorbike.
    Certainly makes a big difference and this time the rules are clear.

Still, I hope it gets swept under the carpet, due to the ludicrous circumstances, yesterday.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    When Froome stopped before the climbs, he seemed to be about to expose his gentlemen's collection for a comfort break but the camera cut away. The remainder of his team had gone down earlier, including him - wonder if he said to El Patron that he'd use the crash of teammates to get himself back up after relieving himself?

Must admit the cynic in me wonders whether Froome / Sky would have backed the peleton up the way Quintana / Moviestar did if the roles had been reversed.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited July 2016
    r0bh wrote:

The language is very fruity! :shock:

No but seriously, I actually think he was doing that to stay safe. There were riders all over the road — a running Froome and his broken bike, Richie getting a new wheel — fans all over the road, cars and motos everywhere, there was no 'clear' line and it isn't easy to wiggle and weave in those conditions (he's also little and can't see well over the motos) so just used the moto as a shield. I would have done the same thing I think.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    When Froome stopped before the climbs, he seemed to be about to expose his gentlemen's collection for a comfort break but the camera cut away. The remainder of his team had gone down earlier, including him - wonder if he said to El Patron that he'd use the crash of teammates to get himself back up after relieving himself?

Must admit the cynic in me wonders whether Froome / Sky would have backed the peloton up the way Quintana / Moviestar did if the roles had been reversed.
    Froome asked them to slow it down before he stopped, they didn't just decide to do it all by themselves. I think it allowed an extra couple of their teammates to catch up with that second bunch so it was partly in their own interest too.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    emadden wrote:
    keydon wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    UCI Rule: 1.2.109: you can cross the finish line on foot as long as you have your bike with you

EDIT: not sure if there is a rule that states that the course must only be covered by bike... still looking

How could there be if you can cross the line on foot?

Here it is, RULE 14 of UCI Regulations:

"14.
    Wilful deviation from the course, attempt to be placed without having covered the entire course by bicycle, resuming the race after having accepted a lift in a vehicle or on a motorbike..."

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/26/68/12-DIS-20160101-E_English.pdf
    Is anyone seriously concerned that the rules don't allow someone to take a few strides forwards on foot in cleats such that it needs including in the rules? Running almost by definition is slower than cycling. That'd be like disqualifying someone from a marathon because they walked a little bit.

There are Froome fanboys and Froome anti-fanboys. Only an anti-fanboy would try to find a way to get him DQ'd for covering probably less than 0.1% of a 140km route on foot.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    k-dog wrote:

He's lucky it wasn't his leg the bike ran over. Could have been a lot worse.[/quote]

I think you're assuming his leg was near the seat stay as if he was on the bike when it was hit, he was already thrown forward off his bike and it was lying just behind him when the following moto ran into it.

It is of course lucky as with any off, particularly slower ones that all 3 weren't hurt, collar bone breaks etc.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    r0bh wrote:

Judging by the non-reaction of the crowd it must be a common occurrence
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    edited July 2016
    Quintana’s tow was blatant cheating and should be punished. I bet you nothing will happen, though. The application of the rules is pathetic.

I disagree that you can’t legislate for the various unusual things that happen in racing. You don’t need to predict that the flamme rouge or crowds will block the course – although that wouldn’t be hard, since those things or similar happen almost every year. You just need to legislate for likely harms caused, e.g. a rider losing time in various circumstances (distance from finish, position on GC, etc.) due to the actions of various third parties.

The principle of the rule of law is that, firstly, the rules should be disclosed, and that secondly the rules should have characteristics of generality, equality, and certainty. None of these apply in road racing. The rules are only partially published (in badly translated English), they are pointlessly specific (e.g. they talk about walking over the finish line but not walking elsewhere on the course), they are seemingly randomly applied, and racers and observers have no idea how they will be applied.

The current rule-book isn’t fit for purpose. The participants and spectators just put up with arbitrary decisions every year as the price for enjoying the benefits.

It is appalling that not even the professional commentators on TV had any idea what would happen to Froome yesterday. And no-one knows if Quintana will be punished for that tow. It depends on the mood of the decision-makers.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Another view of events here.

https://twitter.com/11uisagusti/status/ ... 6815314944

There's that prick from Poland again. ClearIy has no interest in the race, only interested in just running in front of the camera bike with his placard. WTF do people like him bother going for. Complete 'tard.
    Richie Porte looks like he's smiling even while he's remounting his hastily repaired bike half way up Ventoux having just had a GC damaging crash with a race moto. His face just seems to be permanently fixed in a grin. I'm starting to find it unsettling.

Unsettling? I don't know what you mean?

983afc828f2a088cf2d9b18d4ddce87d.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    r0bh wrote:

Eh?

Still, I hope it gets swept under the carpet, due to the ludicrous circumstances, yesterday.

All I mean is that the decision was made that they should get the same time as the group they were with at the time they came to the incident. It wouldn't make any difference if they finished 30 seconds down or 7 seconds down.
  • blazing_saddles
    r0bh wrote:

Eh?

All I mean is that the decision was made that they should get the same time as the group they were with at the time they came to the incident. It wouldn't make any difference if they finished 30 seconds down or 7 seconds down.

True enough.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    larkim wrote:
    Is anyone seriously concerned that the rules don't allow someone to take a few strides forwards on foot in cleats such that it needs including in the rules? Running almost by definition is slower than cycling. That'd be like disqualifying someone from a marathon because they walked a little bit.

There are Froome fanboys and Froome anti-fanboys. Only an anti-fanboy would try to find a way to get him DQ'd for covering probably less than 0.1% of a 140km route on foot.

emmm.... fanboys and anti-fanboys trying to find ways to get him DQ's??? hahaha

Nobody is doing that. I simply made the point yesterday evening that running without a bike is not permissible - to which others questioned if that rule exists... and I found it - that is all.

BTW, I don't think fanboys have the right to send their objections to commissaires!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Let me see if I can find that rule for you :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • smithy21
    r0bh wrote:

Eh?

But that decision was only made after the event. When he took the tow he didn't know what was going to happen.

I tend to agree that in the circumstances probably just let it go. It does indicate to me that Quintana is not right physically.

• argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    emadden wrote:
    larkim wrote:

emmm.... fanboys and anti-fanboys trying to find ways to get him DQ's??? hahaha

Nobody is doing that. I simply made the point yesterday evening that running without a bike is not permissible - to which others questioned if that rule exists... and I found it - that is all.

BTW, I don't think fanboys have the right to send their objections to commissaires!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Let me see if I can find that rule for you :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

There's another rule that says you must complete the course under your own efforts - a logical interpretation of the guidelines is to prevent people taking a tow, jumping on a horse / car etc... anything FASTER than a bike. There are few circumstances that a Pro would be faster running - look at the morons trying just that getting tailed off.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Eh?

But that decision was only made after the event. When he took the tow he didn't know what was going to happen.

I tend to agree that in the circumstances probably just let it go. It does indicate to me that Quintana is not right physically.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    The current rule-book isn’t fit for purpose. The participants and spectators just put up with arbitrary decisions every year as the price for enjoying the benefits.

I think you're very wrong.

I know most UCI rules inside out, it used to be my job to do so. They allow an interpretation in given circumstances and it leaves the ultimate decision with the commissaires and the UCI. At any of these races you have a panel of UCI officials who the commissaires have to consult with and it allows for a fair decision to be decided on after consultations amongst the two teams.

The issue isn't the rules, it's their ineffective application. The issue teams face is that you never know how an official is going to interpret them. Sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't. They work perfectly well when they work in your favour and they aren't fit for purpose when they don't, that's the devil.

If you make them tighter, you never know what could have been (as a team or rider). I think there does need to be *some* reform, but they're suitable for the time being.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    I want to see professional road racing. These TdF mountain finish stages seem to be turning into drunken freak shows. What's next, Gladiators style assault courses, giant cotton buds...?

Yesterday wasn't a business as usual racing incident and the results could not stand. Else green light for accidental or deliberate interference by crowd. Say Quintana is up the road by 10s from Froome group, unlikely as that might be given his performance yesterday, group of spectators block road deliberately in front of chasers. Just accept that?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You think that they're not being paid for their efforts?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cruff
    cruff Posts: 1,518
    FocusZing wrote:
    CnX3wbzUEAA1sJj.jpg
    What I take away from this, mainly, is the egregious violation of #90... :D
    Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
    Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Norvern Munkey/Transplanted Laaandoner.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    zebulebu wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    CnX3wbzUEAA1sJj.jpg
    What I take away from this, mainly, is the egregious violation of #90... :D

He should have ran, with bike, to the nearestcarbon repair specialist, requested the necessary tools and materials from the specialist and fixed it under his own steam. This the only way to ensure immortality. Christophe Froome
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    10 minute penalty for asking a helper to man the vacuum pump for the curing process?
  • blazing_saddles
    So, The Arrow does a complete U turn on what he said, yesterday and thinks the Commies descion was great after all.....
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    coriordan wrote:
    10 minute penalty for asking a helper to man the vacuum pump for the curing process?

Without question.