TdF 2016 Stage 12 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Garry H wrote:
    cedar404 wrote:
    Quintana has somehow got some time back and leapfrogged Mollema on GC. So lucky it's unbelievable.

Really? How?
    Someone said he was given the same time as a group that finished 7s ahead which included Yates and others.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I can't believe people booed Froome on the podium. What is wrong with people?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Be interesting to see some chat from other sources, where do these boo-ers hang out online?
  • bobmcstuff

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2R01k4SXI

?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Find it hard to believe there is no rule to clearly define what happens in the case of outside interference.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Bauke Mollema ‏@BaukeMollema · 56m56 minutes ago

What's going on? Seems like everybody gets time bonuses. I wonder what would have happened if I would have been the only one to go down...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    May reflect more on it later - but there's a real argument that the result should be based on the time taken at the line without any adjustment.
  • tailwindhome
    Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong · 3h3 hours ago

Shit show.
  • bobmcstuff
    adr82 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    cedar404 wrote:
    Quintana has somehow got some time back and leapfrogged Mollema on GC. So lucky it's unbelievable.

Really? How?
    Someone said he was given the same time as a group that finished 7s ahead which included Yates and others.

Yeah so it looks like Quintana/Valverde were given ST as the Yates group which has pee'd a number of other teams off as Quintana and Valverde were out the back.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Bauke Mollema ‏@BaukeMollema · 56m56 minutes ago

What's going on? Seems like everybody gets time bonuses. I wonder what would have happened if I would have been the only one to go down...

And I'm sure if Bauke had damaged his bike like Froome he'd be quite happy to have got the 23 seconds on the others rather than to have lost time.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It would have been better for Froome if he had been out of yellow tonight. He would have come back between now and Paris and would have won one of the more memorable Tours. As it is, he is comfortably the strongest rider in the race and barring a normal accident or illness, should win this Tour anyway.

ASO need to go back to basics and make the physical management of the stages their priority, not the bullsh1t of "growing their revenue streams" which is probably their chief concern over the last 15 years or more.

DD.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    TheBigBean wrote:
    A very unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I really dislike the arbitrary way the commissaires pick and choose when to change things. There's been lots of incidents like this in the past when the results stood. The only difference here is that it involved the yellow jersey and that that would be really embarrassing for them. Cycling needs some rules and needs to enforce them whether that is riding on the pavement, crossing a level crossing or crashing on a mountain.

Completely agree. As much as today was a complete farce and horrendous bad luck for Froome, the basic principle of sporting rules is that they are consistent.

If it had been someone like Purito in exactly the same situation I just cannot believe they would have made the same ruling.
  • bobmcstuff
    Milton50 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    A very unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I really dislike the arbitrary way the commissaires pick and choose when to change things. There's been lots of incidents like this in the past when the results stood. The only difference here is that it involved the yellow jersey and that that would be really embarrassing for them. Cycling needs some rules and needs to enforce them whether that is riding on the pavement, crossing a level crossing or crashing on a mountain.

Completely agree. As much as today was a complete farce and horrendous bad luck for Froome, the basic principle of sporting rules is that they are consistent.

If it had been someone like Purito in exactly the same situation I just cannot believe they would have made the same ruling.

Although IMO they should, hence why they need consistent rules.

They adjusted the result for Yates the other day, to be fair (it's been a farce-heavy tour!).
  • Haydn1
    Haydn1 Posts: 25
    poppit wrote:
    Can't really understand what happened to Quintana, supposed to be in great form, done nothing all race apart from sticking to Froome's wheel and then gets dropped on the first big climb and even being outclimbed by Mollema

Its all under control, he is keeping his powder dry.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    I've calmed down a bit. I think it would have been stopped if it wasn't Froome that crashed. He is the yellow jersey and the boss of the peloton. Quintana I imagine hardly comands respect, but that's hearsay.

Sky have previous for stopping when something happens to other contenders (see 2012) and Movistar are the opposite (see 2013).

Hopefully this makes the required changes with barriers coming in.

Does anyone have an email for ASO and I'll put a quote in with delivery. TBH they'll do a turn on me with berexit prices.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    No one is going to be happy about what happened, but I think the result is probably the best bet.

Great pity as it ruined an otherwise good stage. I was quite enjoying the "Froome doesn't have it, goooooo Nairo" action turning into "ugh, loser"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    IMO the fact that Froomes bike was clearly damaged by outside forces as oppose to a mechanical or a "racing incident" the authorities made the correct and only decision available to ensure any form of fairness and credibility to le Tour
  • tailwindhome
    iainf72 wrote:
    No one is going to be happy about what happened, but I think the result is probably the best bet.

Great pity as it ruined an otherwise good stage. I was quite enjoying the "Froome doesn't have it, goooooo Nairo" action turning into "ugh, loser"

The result or the decision to amend the result?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The decision to amend the result - ie, the result we have now.

Imagine the funky lawsuit you could file....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    CnV_PJ6XEAA3wj5.jpg:large

Rob Hayles ‏@robhayles1 · 53m53 minutes ago

For sale. Saddle seized, pedals don't clip in. But only ridden for 300 meters. Only selling as too small for owner
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Does anyone know what was wrong with froomes bike?
  • bobmcstuff
    Rigga wrote:
    Does anyone know what was wrong with froomes bike?

There's a photo up-thread - snapped seatstay
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Broken seatstay
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Snapped chai stay where police moto ran over it when he crashed into Porte
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CnVpOv9XgAAapfi.jpg:large

Broken seat stay.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    edited July 2016

I don't get what your problem with this is. People boo sportsmen they don't like. It's not snooker or golf. It's a hard sport. I am sure he can take it
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Ah I see thanks.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    CnV_PJ6XEAA3wj5.jpg:large

I would love to know what % of riders are using Time pedals (looks like Time).

Thats the reason that Froome couldn't ride the bike, he couldn't clip in.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    smithy21 wrote:

I don't get what your problem with this is. People boo sportsmen they don't like. It's not snooker or golf. It's a hard sort. I am sure he can take it
    I think that some of us just don't like or comprehend that sort of behaviour.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    got to love Gary Imlach's sarcasm