TdF 2016 Stage 12 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:
    JPEG_20160714_170832_zpsnanmvvji.jpg
    Great picture - would love to see the next 3 or 4 frames

Is that really 4 motos close together in front of him? Surely 3 riders don't need 4 motos directly in front of them.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,538
    There's just so much wrong in that photo.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Great picture - would love to see the next 3 or 4 frames

Is that really 4 motos close together in front of him? Surely 3 riders don't need 4 motos directly in front of them.

Does the world need 3 stills photographers on Motos causing a logjam up a mountain?
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    The sport is barely fit for purpose. May as well put these guys on turbos to race Zwift courses.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    edited July 2016

Does the world need 3 stills photographers on Motos causing a logjam up a mountain?

And not a single police bike clearing the way. All a bit sick really.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Everyone directing their attention at the moto. Is everyone blinded to the fact that the crowd creates a gap the width of one rider, meaning no way to actually attack or to avoid any kind of incident?

Just because something has always been the way it is doesn't mean it is right.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The quite amazing thing is just the sheer number of fans that are thick idiots. It is incredible.

Climbs with no fans on them would be much much better.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    They could embrace new technology and use drones to film the riders instead of all those motorbikes. We've had far too many incidents with motorbikes in races in recent years. That picture with the four motorbikes in front of the riders is just plain nuts.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited July 2016
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Everyone directing their attention at the moto. Is everyone blinded to the fact that the crowd creates a gap the width of one rider, meaning no way to actually attack or to avoid any kind of incident?

The fans were obviously what caused the moto to stop abruptly. That being said, Froome claims it was another of the fleet of motos running into them just afterwards that broke his bike and really turned this into a next level clusterf*ck:
    “Ventoux is full of surprises,” said Froome after the GC results were resolved. “About 1.2km to go, the motorbike slammed on its brakes — the road was blocked in front — the three of us just plowed into the motorbike and another motorbike ran into me, breaking my frame. I just started running. I knew the car was stuck behind.”
    I'm really not sure how you can explain a moto rider managing to crash into the back of them when they were riding uphill at the time! If he didn't have space to stop he was clearly far too close, if he was further back then he wasn't paying attention.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Craigus89 wrote:

Yeah, but this is about 1km from finish of a key stage with MTF. It should be barriered down to 3km and I think normally is.
  • newton98
    newton98 Posts: 35
    Cheers for the quotes bobmcstuff.

I don't understand the photographer thing, whenever riders talk about excessive motorbikes they seem to imply the necessity of these photographers. Do they somehow indirectly contribute a lot of revenue somewhere in the ecosystem, whether via printed or online press? They seem weirdly sacrosanct when I'd have thought you could ditch a lot of them.

Drones anyone?
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    adr82 wrote:
    13701157_10154500578509873_7671845861805082066_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9

Wait until the Brownlee's find out he can swim as well :D
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    TheBigBean wrote:
    A very unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I really dislike the arbitrary way the commissaires pick and choose when to change things. There's been lots of incidents like this in the past when the results stood. The only difference here is that it involved the yellow jersey and that that would be really embarrassing for them. Cycling needs some rules and needs to enforce them whether that is riding on the pavement, crossing a level crossing or crashing on a mountain.

I agree with you. I think the decision they took today was the right one but I also think they should enforce the rules more thoroughly at other times.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Rollemynot wrote:

Wait until the Brownlee's find out he can swim as well :D

@jonny_brownlee
    We went on a @TeamSky training camp in 2013 and they never thought to ask us about running off the bike @chrisfroome
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705
    hypster wrote:
    They could embrace new technology and use drones to film the riders instead of all those motorbikes. We've had far too many incidents with motorbikes in races in recent years. That picture with the four motorbikes in front of the riders is just plain nuts.

Not as nuts as having no motorbikes.
    Drones are not fit for purpose, either.

A police bike might, or might not have, given today's log jam, made a difference.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    Germcevoy wrote:

That's 4 motorbikes!

This is ridiculous! Plus no one can race when the fans are that compressed in. There is not a martial/policeman to be seen anywhere.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    TheBigBean wrote:
    A very unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I really dislike the arbitrary way the commissaires pick and choose when to change things. There's been lots of incidents like this in the past when the results stood. The only difference here is that it involved the yellow jersey and that that would be really embarrassing for them. Cycling needs some rules and needs to enforce them whether that is riding on the pavement, crossing a level crossing or crashing on a mountain.

I agree with you. I think the decision they took today was the right one but I also think they should enforce the rules more thoroughly at other times.

I agree also - they should stick to one consistent set of rules.

At the moment anytime something controversial happens people are able to point to multiple similar incidents where the rules were interpreted in different ways. It just leads to pee'd off fans.
  • cedar404
    cedar404 Posts: 176
    Quintana has somehow got some time back and leapfrogged Mollema on GC. So lucky it's unbelievable.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    TheRunningMan_onesheet_USA-4.jpg
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Greg van A must be looking forward to being awarded San Sebastián 2015 now
  • above_the_cows
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    cedar404 wrote:
    Quintana has somehow got some time back and leapfrogged Mollema on GC. So lucky it's unbelievable.

Really? How?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973

Is that a police bike that ran over Froome's bike?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    edited July 2016
    Dabber wrote:

Just what I was about to post. Watching highlights and I think it is.

Edit: definitely is

The idiot from Poland running with the placard running after the crash needs locking up.
  • above_the_cows
    Dabber wrote:

Just what I was about to post. Watching highlights and I think it is.

Edit: definitely is

Keystone cops.
    keystone-cops.jpg
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Busy at work today - did I miss anything?
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Can't really understand what happened to Quintana, supposed to be in great form, done nothing all race apart from sticking to Froome's wheel and then gets dropped on the first big climb and even being outclimbed by Mollema
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    jam1e wrote:
    Busy at work today - did I miss anything?

Greipel was in the break. That was about it.

Bring on La Vuelta.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    4AEmzrY.jpg