Who will be the next Prime Minister

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    SteveO is being disingenuous - he knows full well that Rick does not sit in front of his clients saying we are all doomed. What is said on here will have absolutely no effect on the economy.
    I know he probably isn't saying that to clients and never said he did. :roll:

But if people take that 'we're doomed' type of attitude out in the business world and act on it instead of doing what we can to make the best of it then that will have a negative impact. Certainly not what I am doing now in terms of planning our BREXIT strategy.

I know that you know that he does not say that to clients. I was trying to clarify for 3rd parties that you see a difference between venting on here and the impact of doing so in the work place. I have a young team who were shittin' it in the immediate aftermath. I got so carried away with my reassurances that it became a Churchillian call to arms that even I started to believe. This may help us take a bigger share of the pie but will not stop the pie from shrinking.
    As I've said before, the forecast consensus that I have seen shows reduced growth, not recession. Unless you know better?

2 weeks in, too soon to say what will happen yet, we ll probably have to wait until the Autumn, its a real shame, self inflicted "slow downs/recessions" are historically hard to find.
    I agree about waiting to see. I struggle to see how quite a few on here seem to think they have a crystal ball that tells them it will be a total cluster**** in all respects.

The industry I am in will shrink - that is the pie I Was referring to.

Official stats will not tell us if we are shrinking for some months. However the economy was slowing on Brexit uncertainty. Not sure if "me knowing better" was sarcastic but I do see forecasts based on micro data points we are heading into recession.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Forecasts I've seen range from marginally above 0 to -1 or -1.5%.

Either way any reduction in growth by leaves you with a smaller economy later on whether it's recession or just less growth.
    Err, at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious....a reduction in growth which is not a recession is still growth so in that case the economy will still be bigger than it is now - just not as big as it would have been if growth had been higher.

Some on here are stating an absolute reduction in GDP as if it were fact.

Yes that's what I meant, sorry - "smaller than it would otherwise have been". My logic isn't quite that bad ;)

I hope we don't have a recession as it would be quite annoying. But it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility either.
    OK, fair enough.

Clearly we don't have a Crystal ball and a recession can't be ruled out. But the BoE and then chancellor are taking measure to stimulate and businesses like then one Ok work in are starting getting to grips with the potential issues and solutions. Fingers crossed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Forecasts I've seen range from marginally above 0 to -1 or -1.5%.

Either way any reduction in growth by leaves you with a smaller economy later on whether it's recession or just less growth.
    Err, at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious....a reduction in growth which is not a recession is still growth so in that case the economy will still be bigger than it is now - just not as big as it would have been if growth had been higher.

Some on here are stating an absolute reduction in GDP as if it were fact.

Yes that's what I meant, sorry - "smaller than it would otherwise have been". My logic isn't quite that bad ;)

I hope we don't have a recession as it would be quite annoying. But it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility either.
    OK, fair enough.

Clearly we don't have a Crystal ball and a recession can't be ruled out. But the BoE and then chancellor are taking measure to stimulate and businesses like then one Ok work in are starting getting to grips with the potential issues and solutions. Fingers crossed.

Carney is our star player but would he stay (pushed or jumped) if Leadsom became PM.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Imagine the bounce when TM announces "not in national interest to leave...." £ reaches all time highs, ftse smashes through 10,000 points and Morgan Cars recruits 100,000 new workers to build a new British Ford Focus beater!

and then us lefties can come on here and demand more fat cat tax rises lol!
    Exactly :) When the economy is doing well it's all about social justice etc. When it looks like its doing badly the same whingers are saying its all about the economy....

There's no pleasing some people.

Well, according to Seimens CEO, one of the reasons we voted Brexit was the fact that wealth generated in recent years, had not been spread around, so years of austerity, limited wage growth (though we ve also had v low inflation too) so the less well off decided that they d kick the establishment, as they had nothing left to lose.

His view was that the business community had to share some of the responsibility for Brexit, the other 3 business people on the R4 program also agreed, all said Brexit would be a disaster for the UK.
  • Stevo_666
    finchy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    SteveO is being disingenuous - he knows full well that Rick does not sit in front of his clients saying we are all doomed. What is said on here will have absolutely no effect on the economy.
    I know he probably isn't saying that to clients and never said he did. :roll:

But if people take that 'we're doomed' type of attitude out in the business world and act on it instead of doing what we can to make the best of it then that will have a negative impact. Certainly not what I am doing now in terms of planning our BREXIT strategy.

Obviously we're all doing what we can, but I'm sure you don't need to be told that the UK is dependent on high levels of foreign investment ("the UK is dependent on the kindness of strangers" as somebody important said recently). In my line of work, for example, I often end up translating documents on technology transfer into the UK, for mechanical, civil and electrical engineering. I've now got a load of longstanding clients telling me that they are putting all plans for investing in the UK on hold for the foreseeable future. This isn't driven by feelings of optimism or pessimism, this about the UK's future trading arrangements with the world's largest economy being up in the air. If we experience a sharp drop in FDI... then what do we do?
    Yes, FDI is important. Last figures I saw were for 2014 - £44 bn.

The uncertainty is probably the worst part - probably even more than any real world outcome. Clearly Osborne recognises this hence the announcement of more cuts to the headline tax rate which was expected and logical.

We can draw some comfort also from recent feedback I have had (see my other posts in the last day) that businesses are acutely aware that other European destinations for FDI can carry a heavy cost in terms of regulation, labour market inflexibility, tax etc that can easily outweigh any tariffs (which are far from guaranteed anyway).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Imagine the bounce when TM announces "not in national interest to leave...." £ reaches all time highs, ftse smashes through 10,000 points and Morgan Cars recruits 100,000 new workers to build a new British Ford Focus beater!

Exactly :) When the economy is doing well it's all about social justice etc. When it looks like its doing badly the same whingers are saying its all about the economy....

Well, according to Seimens CEO, one of the reasons we voted Brexit was the fact that wealth generated in recent years, had not been spread around, so years of austerity, limited wage growth (though we ve also had v low inflation too) so the less well off decided that they d kick the establishment, as they had nothing left to lose.

His view was that the business community had to share some of the responsibility for Brexit, the other 3 business people on the R4 program also agreed, all said Brexit would be a disaster for the UK.
    A German businessman is clearly an expert on UK socio political issues...

Many of those who voted out seemed to be concerned with immigration and/or sovereignty rather than the economy.

Interestingly a friend of mine who is a hospital consultant (So neither thick nor economically disenfranchised) living in Lincolnshire whom voted for Brexit told me it was the condescending attitude of the 'metropolitan types' towards anyone who was not a remainer that really pushed him over the edge. Some people on these threads may well be to blame for our current situation :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Labour may be sticky, but capital ain't.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Yes, FDI is important. Last figures I saw were for 2014 - £44 bn.

I think I've seen something like £50 bn for last year.
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The uncertainty is probably the worst part - probably even more than any real world outcome. Clearly Osborne recognises this hence the announcement of more cuts to the headline tax rate which was expected and logical.

This is yet another reason that I would like the government to turn to the electorate and just be completely honest and say that the leave campaign offered far more than any British government can reasonably be expected to deliver, and that the best we can hope for is a Norway-style deal. The sooner they can get that out of the way, the sooner the international community will start to see that a trade deal is possible.
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    We can draw some comfort also from recent feedback I have had (see my other posts in the last day) that businesses are acutely aware that other European destinations for FDI can carry a heavy cost in terms of regulation, labour market inflexibility, tax etc that can easily outweigh any tariffs (which are far from guaranteed anyway).

It's all a bit of a case of swings and roundabouts. Other countries may have higher taxes, regulations etc., but then they might offer higher productivity and better infrastructure. One positive that might come out of Brexit is that it might give the country a short, sharp shock and give us reason to think clearly about our future direction. But then again, I said that when the 2008 financial crash happened as well, so I don't have a good track record on that one... :roll:
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Many of those who voted out seemed to be concerned with immigration and/or sovereignty rather than the economy.

Interestingly a friend of mine who is a hospital consultant (So neither thick nor economically disenfranchised) living in Lincolnshire whom voted for Brexit told me it was the condescending attitude of the 'metropolitan types' towards anyone who was not a remainer that really pushed him over the edge. Some people on these threads may well be to blame for our current situation :wink:

i didnt think you liked anecdotes?

We dont take any notice of experts anymore.........you know as well as i do the general demographics and he is CEO of their UK arm, employing 14k in 13 factories, he also said how worried these people are, not right now, invest in progress will carry on but future? same as the car industry and supply chains, his view was also backed up by 2 UK and one swiss national.

But i agree that most voted on migration, down here we havent seen the disadvantages of inward migration, some fellow IT guys in the E and SE voted OUT, as did my Barristor relative and a Dr 's practice manager i know, all based on migration/public services.

Interesting enough, though i dont know too many who regret their vote, many have said said they are surprised at the overall effects and that perhaps they should have been given more facts...... :shock:
    basing ones vote on the attitudes of the opposing camp, instead of what is best for the country, is im afraid what has gotten us into this mess.
  • surrey_commuter
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

We dont take any notice of experts anymore.........you know as well as i do the general demographics and he is CEO of their UK arm, employing 14k in 13 factories, he also said how worried these people are, not right now, invest in progress will carry on but future? same as the car industry and supply chains, his view was also backed up by 2 UK and one swiss national.

But i agree that most voted on migration, down here we havent seen the disadvantages of inward migration, some fellow IT guys in the E and SE voted OUT, as did my Barristor relative and a Dr 's practice manager i know, all based on migration/public services.

Interesting enough, though i dont know too many who regret their vote, many have said said they are surprised at the overall effects and that perhaps they should have been given more facts...... :shock:
    basing ones vote on the attitudes of the opposing camp, instead of what is best for the country, is im afraid what has gotten us into this mess.

Tell them to Google "carney Brexit warning" that should also throw up links to demands for his resignation.
    Yesterday somebody referred to "project fear" and I had to stop and think which side that was. You have to hand it to Vote Leave theirs was a campaign masterclass.

Anyway at 4pm we will know the last two Tory candidates
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Turns out Leadsom's CV was a teensy bit innacurate

https://next.ft.com/content/3a531ec4-43 ... eb4891c97d

BBC goes a little easier on her: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36722585
    BBC wrote:
    "Team Leadsom has made much of her background in banking. One friendly MP described her as having managed "hundreds of people and billions of pounds"."

Robert Stephens, formerly of the investment firm Invesco Perpetual, had said "she didn't manage any teams, large or small and certainly did not manage any funds".
    FT wrote:
    In her maiden speech to parliament in 2010 she said: “Eddie George, the then governor of the Bank of England, called together a small group of bankers, including myself, and we worked over the weekend to calm the fears of banks that were exposed to Barings.”

But several former Barclays executives who were in senior positions when Mrs Leadsom was working at the bank say they do not remember her — despite her recent claim to have been the bank’s youngest ever director. One said: “I think some of the claims about her seniority are somewhat fanciful.”

One indication of the relatively junior level of her financial sector jobs is that Mrs Leadsom is listed in the financial services register under her maiden name of Salmon for only a three-month period during her time at Invesco.

A former member of the executive committee at Invesco Perpetual from 1996-2003 said: “Andrea who? She had no involvement in fund management, she had no presence whatsoever in the organisation. I would speak to the fund managers on a daily basis. I never came across her. She’s been very naive on this.”
  • surrey_commuter
    bobmcstuff wrote:

BBC wrote:
    "Team Leadsom has made much of her background in banking. One friendly MP described her as having managed "hundreds of people and billions of pounds"."

Robert Stephens, formerly of the investment firm Invesco Perpetual, had said "she didn't manage any teams, large or small and certainly did not manage any funds".
    FT wrote:
    In her maiden speech to parliament in 2010 she said: “Eddie George, the then governor of the Bank of England, called together a small group of bankers, including myself, and we worked over the weekend to calm the fears of banks that were exposed to Barings.”

But several former Barclays executives who were in senior positions when Mrs Leadsom was working at the bank say they do not remember her — despite her recent claim to have been the bank’s youngest ever director. One said: “I think some of the claims about her seniority are somewhat fanciful.”

One indication of the relatively junior level of her financial sector jobs is that Mrs Leadsom is listed in the financial services register under her maiden name of Salmon for only a three-month period during her time at Invesco.

A former member of the executive committee at Invesco Perpetual from 1996-2003 said: “Andrea who? She had no involvement in fund management, she had no presence whatsoever in the organisation. I would speak to the fund managers on a daily basis. I never came across her. She’s been very naive on this.”

I have not seen her response to these allegations - that will be fun to watch
  • mamba80
    bobmcstuff wrote:

BBC wrote:

FT wrote:

Liars have been the hall mark of PM's for decades now, she ll fit right in.
  • surrey_commuter
    mamba80 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

BBC wrote:

FT wrote:

Liars have been the hall mark of PM's for decades now, she ll fit right in.

The significance is that she has no experience of Govt so her entire pitch is that she is qualified through her stellar City career that included managing hundreds of people and investing billions.
  • mamba80
    i hope that May wins, she is possibly the only one who wont trigger Article 50, i do realise this is a classic hope over expectation.

Unlike Steve0, i see no benefits of leaving EU, non what-so-ever and i find myself wondering how many years we ll have to wait until Lord XXXYYYZZZ publishes his report into UK Brexit (assuming we still have the money to hire a printing press) ........ oh god, we ll have to see a hand wringing Cameron saying he d do it all again :cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • surrey_commuter
    mamba80 wrote:
    i hope that May wins, she is possibly the only one who wont trigger Article 50, i do realise this is a classic hope over expectation.

Unlike Steve0, i see no benefits of leaving EU, non what-so-ever and i find myself wondering how many years we ll have to wait until Lord XXXYYYZZZ publishes his report into UK Brexit (assuming we still have the money to hire a printing press) ........ oh god, we ll have to see a hand wringing Cameron saying he d do it all again :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I can't see the trigger not being pulled.

There will be this first phase lasting a couple of years which will be really sh1t - ie negative growth. After that we are likely to cut about 1% off our long-term growth rate of 2.4%. It does not sound a lot but it is the difference between doing well and getting by. That is assuming we do not get a Norway style deal.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mamba80 wrote:

Stevo will correct me if I'm wrong on this, but he isn't talking about the benefits of leaving, he is talking about getting on with the task of businesses adapting to leaving rather than getting into a pity party and blame game about it.

And their won't be any enquiry into it, unless their was some massive conspiracy to rig the vote. Politicians telling lies and half truths to win votes doesn't count, that precedent was set long ago.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    mrfpb wrote:
    Politicians telling lies and half truths to win votes doesn't count, that precedent was set long ago.
    Apparently there is no obligation for politicians to tell the truth in campaigning. I suspect the claim about £350 million a week wouldn't be up to the standards expected of the advertising industry but is acceptable in the world of politics. That doesn't seem right to me.
  • surrey_commuter
    Veronese68 wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Politicians telling lies and half truths to win votes doesn't count, that precedent was set long ago.
    Apparently there is no obligation for politicians to tell the truth in campaigning. I suspect the claim about £350 million a week wouldn't be up to the standards expected of the advertising industry but is acceptable in the world of politics. That doesn't seem right to me.

Normally they would have a manifesto so I can not think of an occasion when lies have been told on an "industrial scale" quite like this. I doubt there is any legal comeback other than reporting them to the ASA. Anyway who are they? with hindsight the leave campaign was nothing more than a loose collection of individuals and organisations who took the opportunity to make it up as they went along. Even if they had a plan, they did not and still do not have the power to execute it. How did nobody spot this anomaly in the entire episode?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    One of the issues of the conduct of the referendum was the lack of access to civil service support for the leave campaign. In General Elections the gov't and other parties have access to government departments for accurate information on which to base their manifestos. The government decided this should not be the case for the referendum, and Gove and IDS found they were blocked from getting civil service support to prepare their campaigns while the government put out their their pro EU leaflet before official campaigning started.

It doesn't justify the outright lies, but Leave were at a disadvantage in campaigning when Remain controlled access to a major source of the facts. The electoral commission were highly critical of the pre campaign leaflet, but Cameron seemed to shrug it off.
  • surrey_commuter
    mrfpb wrote:
    One of the issues of the conduct of the referendum was the lack of access to civil service support for the leave campaign. In General Elections the gov't and other parties have access to government departments for accurate information on which to base their manifestos. The government decided this should not be the case for the referendum, and Gove and IDS found they were blocked from getting civil service support to prepare their campaigns while the government put out their their pro EU leaflet before official campaigning started.

It doesn't justify the outright lies, but Leave were at a disadvantage in campaigning when Remain controlled access to a major source of the facts. The electoral commission were highly critical of the pre campaign leaflet, but Cameron seemed to shrug it off.

My point is that they were not a cohesive group so could not have a manifesto or plans. It is a criticism of the situation we found ourselves in not of them. Their campaign was a masterclass at setting the agenda. I can not remember anybody pointing out they had no plan or means of implementing one.
  • mamba80
    mrfpb wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Stevo will correct me if I'm wrong on this, but he isn't talking about the benefits of leaving, he is talking about getting on with the task of businesses adapting to leaving rather than getting into a pity party and blame game about it.

And their won't be any enquiry into it, unless their was some massive conspiracy to rig the vote. Politicians telling lies and half truths to win votes doesn't count, that precedent was set long ago.

If this country falls into an economic pit, similar to Greece, they ll doubtless be an enquiry, most people cannot influence, in anywaym what happens now, that is fanciful - Steve0 appears to be in a position to have a say in his employers future direction, that is rare, he has said there are opportunities, that is another word for benefits.

My mates business of importing European kayaking equipment will go bust very soon because of this, 3 people will lose their jobs and him his house....yes lets get on with it! ffs!
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    But I know that you do :)
  • Stevo_666
    mrfpb wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Businesses adapting to BREXIT and dealing with the issues to maximise their position is what I am talking about - yes there may be benefits from actions we take to deal with it but that is one step removed from talking about any benefits that might flow directly from BREXIT itself.
  • surrey_commuter
    So May or Leadsom? To borrow a phrase from the BBC Leadsom is hard Brexit (out as soon as possible severing all ties) whereas May may be soft Brexit ie cares what our future trade relationship will look like.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    So May or Leadsom? To borrow a phrase from the BBC Leadsom is hard Brexit (out as soon as possible severing all ties) whereas May may be soft Brexit ie cares what our future trade relationship will look like.
    It's been May since DC handed in his notice.
    And it certainly feels that way. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    PBlakeney wrote:
    It's been May since DC handed in his notice.
    And it certainly feels that way. :wink:

trying to predict what those 150,000 loonies will do is tough - instinctively May seems more like one of their own
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    mamba80 wrote:

There will be this first phase lasting a couple of years which will be really sh1t - ie negative growth. After that we are likely to cut about 1% off our long-term growth rate of 2.4%. It does not sound a lot but it is the difference between doing well and getting by. That is assuming we do not get a Norway style deal.

I would imagine that a very large percentage of all the people who voted out are merely getting by as it is.
    The serfs are always going to make up the majority, and if you make the mistake of giving them the vote, expect them to think of themselves (just like everyone else! :roll: )
    Dismissing them as uneducated racists and bigots rather than listening to their concerns, real and imagined, is one sure fire way to alienate them further. People who cannot spar with you on an intellectual level are quite likely to pull out a large piece of wood to fight back with, hence the exit vote.

Unlike you, I don't believe that the politicians will ever allow us to leave.
    Which might be a shame, and might not. No one really knows yet.
  • surrey_commuter
    Pituophis wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

I would imagine that a very large percentage of all the people who voted out are merely getting by as it is.
    The serfs are always going to make up the majority, and if you make the mistake of giving them the vote, expect them to think of themselves (just like everyone else! :roll: )
    Dismissing them as uneducated racists and bigots rather than listening to their concerns, real and imagined, is one sure fire way to alienate them further. People who cannot spar with you on an intellectual level are quite likely to pull out a large piece of wood to fight back with, hence the exit vote.

Unlike you, I don't believe that the politicians will ever allow us to leave.
    Which might be a shame, and might not. No one really knows yet.

But imho the serfs did not vote through their own pocket. When the economy contracts or merely slows then 90% of the population will be worse off and imho the serfs will be hardest hit. And there is no way that the toffs leading the Out campaign did not know that the economy was going to be negatively impacted.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I remember the last time we had a "woman" running the show, it didn't go very well.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.