Who will be the next Prime Minister

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Haha. Leadsom bang to rights. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36753695. Leadsom says it would be really horrible to do something, and then in the next sentence goes and does it. Gutter journalism, my ar$e. I'd trust her less than Gove.
    Does anyone really believe it will be anyone other than May?
    Fair point. As I said above, quite a few people are channelling their impotent rage towards the wrong person.
    Maybe, though I'd still rather not have someone with no cabinet experience, who lies on their CV, who reneges on a promise to publish her tax return, but who uses her religion and ability to have babies as reasons to trust her to steer us through one of the most dangerous points in our post-war history.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    edited July 2016
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Haha. Leadsom bang to rights. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36753695. Leadsom says it would be really horrible to do something, and then in the next sentence goes and does it. Gutter journalism, my ar$e. I'd trust her less than Gove.
    Fair point. As I said above, quite a few people are channelling their impotent rage towards the wrong person.
    Maybe, though I'd still rather not have someone with no cabinet experience, who lies on their CV, who reneges on a promise to publish her tax return, but who uses her religion and ability to have babies as reasons to trust her to steer us through one of the most dangerous points in our post-war history.
    May would get my vote.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    May woukd get my vote.
    A shame you're just a paid-up member of Labour.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I've got a very unpleasant image I can't get rid of that Leadsom has got some kind of Lady Sonia style website hidden away. She just looks the type! I need to get rid of the image though as it's making me feel physically sick.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Well said, the religion is stupid, she'd already proved it informs backward views, and being religious is pinning to the mast the fact that you're not a logical person. On the kids issue, if anything it's better not to have them so you can spend the time you would spend supporting teenagers being twats by doing more of your job. Her even mentioning the kids thing shows how stupid she is. We don't want to hear 'where your point of view is coming from' woman, we want to hear what you'd do if you were in charge in the desperate economic times ahead.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Pross wrote:
    I've got a very unpleasant image I can't get rid of that Leadsom has got some kind of Lady Sonia style website hidden away. She just looks the type! I need to get rid of the image though as it's making me feel physically sick.
    Pross you are a very bad person. Living the sheltered life I have, I searched for that. Now I wish I hadn't.
    I might go back to check if I am still shocked by that....
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I find it shocks me more everytime, I'm trying aversion therapy!
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Pross wrote:
    I find it shocks me more everytime, I'm trying aversion therapy!
    The more I see stuff like that, the more interested I mean shocked I get. Who will stop this tide of filth? I think I might join the Tory party, after all they have our best interests at heart. Laura Norder, that's what we need!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    could be worse, was Crabb sending these to Leadsom? we need to be told! after we all know Leadsom is infact 23yo :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l-20s.html
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    The whole Christian issue is form the benefit of the Tory electorate. When James Arbuthnot stood down at the last election, he also announced he was an atheist. he had kept it quiet as he believed he would net get selected if the local party knew. It says something when you can be openly gay and get high up in the Conservative cabinet, but you dare not "come out" as atheist without harming your career.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    could be worse, was Crabb sending these to Leadsom? we need to be told! after we all know Leadsom is infact 23yo :)

Nearly as distasteful as the idea of Jeremy Corbyn actually shagging a member of his cabinet and showing her naked to impress his mates. Oh hang on... :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/22/revealed-jeremy-corbyn-showed-off-naked-diane-abbott-to-impress/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    If Terry wins, she should call a general election so the parties can state their exit manifestos. This is a massive constitutional event and for it to be lead by a pm who did not even support it does not feel right to me. Some will say (like Brown's inheritance) that she wasn't voted in by the electorate but people who bleat about that are pussies.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Motogull wrote:
    If Terry wins, she should call a general election so the parties can state their exit manifestos. This is a massive constitutional event and for it to be lead by a pm who did not even support it does not feel right to me. Some will say (like Brown's inheritance) that she wasn't voted in by the electorate but people who bleat about that are pussies.
    That's the thing, though...can she? We have a Fixed Parliaments Act, can a PM just go against it and hold one anyway? I know, I could look it up, but I am expecting a constitutional expert to answer this quite quickly.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Motogull wrote:

Why not have another referendum offering people Norway style or WTO? Or we could say as we were with immigration or try and control it.
  • surrey_commuter
    Motogull wrote:
    That's the thing, though...can she? We have a Fixed Parliaments Act, can a PM just go against it and hold one anyway? I know, I could look it up, but I am expecting a constitutional expert to answer this quite quickly.

I believe you need to lose two votes of confidence- so Tories (or whoever was in power) could engineer an early election by voting against the PM
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Nearly as distasteful as the idea of Jeremy Corbyn actually shagging a Fururemember of his cabinet and showing her naked to impress his mates. Oh hang on... :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/22/revealed-jeremy-corbyn-showed-off-naked-diane-abbott-to-impress/

FTFY
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Motogull wrote:

I believe you need to lose two votes of confidence- so Tories (or whoever was in power) could engineer an early election by voting against the PM
    OK. That's interesting. When May wins, how long do you think they will give her?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Until after the next election. Unless she wins.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Pretty much a given, don't you think? I know DCs majority is slender, but is there seriously another contender in British politics. The Labour party are hell-bent on fighting wars from 40 years ago, the LibDems are in free fall, so what's next? More votes for UKIP? A referendum is very different to people voting for an MP.
    After all, with the referendum, we were told "you're vote counts". In lots of places in Britain, voting in a GE, that might not be true. Lots might vote UKIP and they might be pissing up the wall. Like last time, really.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    My faith in the entire system is shaken, so I don't even have a wrong hypothesis to offer...!
  • briantrumpet
    Wow, just wow. This woman must be from a parallel universe, where logic works in an entirely different way. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 28751.html

Actually, I think she is just plain barking. Not quite as barking as Manc33 maybe, but she's making a good effort.

“The size of our economy means we will be the key trading partner for the EU, and we have also have 43 years aligning our goods and services. We start with zero tariffs. All we actually need to do is continue as before.”
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Pretty much a given, don't you think? I know DCs majority is slender, but is there seriously another contender in British politics. The Labour party are hell-bent on fighting wars from 40 years ago, the LibDems are in free fall, so what's next? More votes for UKIP? A referendum is very different to people voting for an MP.
    After all, with the referendum, we were told "you're vote counts". In lots of places in Britain, voting in a GE, that might not be true. Lots might vote UKIP and they might be pissing up the wall. Like last time, really.

Surely the Lib Dems must be in line for a revival now.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    finchy wrote:

With Nick Clegg in charge?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • finchy
    finchy wrote:

Is he any worse than the other leaders?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Wow, just wow. This woman must be from a parallel universe, where logic works in an entirely different way. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 28751.html

Actually, I think she is just plain barking. Not quite as barking as Manc33 maybe, but she's making a good effort.

“The size of our economy means we will be the key trading partner for the EU, and we have also have 43 years aligning our goods and services. We start with zero tariffs. All we actually need to do is continue as before.”

Hmmn, a rabid brexiter at work expressed similar nonsense. He heard on the news the access to single market only with freedom of movement terms and asked me if they could do that...his words 'can't we just ignore them and trade with whoever we want anyway?' Er, no..it's what a trading bloc means, a collective agreement. His response was something along the lines of 'oh we'll just have to kick out Aldi and Lidl then, that'll screw them up'. Childish nonsense on his part but it shows there are people who will lap up what she says.
  • Stevo_666
    finchy wrote:

He's not in charge - It's Farron (although clearly you've not heard of him :) ). Says a lot about how irrelevant the Lib Dems are these days.
  • briantrumpet
    Well, at least thanks to Leadsom and The Independent I've learnt a new word: apophasis. Leadsom did it by saying using May's childlessness in comparisons would be horrible... then promptly did just that. I'm trying to work out if she's mad, or just Not Very Bright.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophasis
  • surrey_commuter
    Well, at least thanks to Leadsom and The Independent I've learnt a new word: apophasis. Leadsom did it by saying using May's childlessness in comparisons would be horrible... then promptly did just that. I'm trying to work out if she's mad, or just Not Very Bright.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophasis

I think she is a fantasist. I had assumed they knew they were talking rubbish but they actually seem to believe this carp. If none of her supporters defect we know they are in the same deluded boat.
  • finchy
    Very interesting it's true. Labour and Tory MPs talking about creating a new centrist party.
  • Stevo_666
    finchy wrote:
    Very interesting it's true. Labour and Tory MPs talking about creating a new centrist party.
    Could happen if both conditions are fulfilled.

While Corbyn may prove impossible to dislodge for the time being due to their leadership election rules, I have the feeling the May will become PM, keeping the Tories close enough to the centre ground for this not to happen. Although a Labour split is likely in any event given they are totally impotent in opposition currently and unlikely to be able to ditch JC.