British male road cyclist fails drug test [Mail]

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    http://www.drugs.com/cdi/terbutaline.html

"Terbutaline is a bronchodilator. It works by dilating (opening) the bronchioles of the lungs by relaxing the muscles around them. This allows for easier airflow into and out of the lungs."

Does sound like something that could be abused if it was massively effective.

massively effective at doing what though ? salbutamol opens the bronchioles of the lungs as well, thats the whole point of a reliever asthma medication, it relaxes the airways so you can breath normally, it doesnt increase your lung capacity or ability to breath air better no matter how many times people keep repeating that nonsense.

I dont know why terbutaline is prohibited and salbutamol isnt, maybe its closer to the steroid treatments you can get given when you are very asthmatic, but the effect is meant to be the roughly the same albeit terbutaline is supposed to be a bit stronger and effects lasts a bit longer and is a dry powder turbohaler style,rather than a puffer style inhaler, and you might get prescribed one vs the other based on allergies AIUI
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    awavey wrote:

"Terbutaline is a bronchodilator. It works by dilating (opening) the bronchioles of the lungs by relaxing the muscles around them. This allows for easier airflow into and out of the lungs."

massively effective at doing what though ? salbutamol opens the bronchioles of the lungs as well, thats the whole point of a reliever asthma medication, it relaxes the airways so you can breath normally, it doesnt increase your lung capacity or ability to breath air better no matter how many times people keep repeating that nonsense.

I dont know why terbutaline is prohibited and salbutamol isnt, maybe its closer to the steroid treatments you can get given when you are very asthmatic, but the effect is meant to be the roughly the same albeit terbutaline is supposed to be a bit stronger and effects lasts a bit longer and is a dry powder turbohaler style,rather than a puffer style inhaler, and you might get prescribed one vs the other based on allergies AIUI

I'm not saying it's performance inhancing, I don't know anything about that, but if say it made breathing that bit easier when your lungs were under stress. I don't know, maybe it would be worth using when your lungs are healthy. I don't know.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Expanding on a joke I made on Twitter, this is the transition of the Twitterati tonight:

OSalWND.png

spoiler alert!!!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    awavey wrote:

I'm not saying it's performance inhancing, I don't know anything about that, but if say it made breathing that bit easier when your lungs were under stress. I don't know, maybe it would be worth using when your lungs are healthy. I don't know.

Airways of a healthy person are already fully dilated when under stress - that's what endogenous adrenaline does. No evidence for performance enhancement. Possible fat burn metabolic effects at v high dose that may be of use out of competition.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    It'll probably be a Bricanyl Turbohaler he was using. The name might sound fast but it's about as performance enhancing as full set of panniers. It's not as if he was caught doing a week of Froomes without a TUE.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Gweeds wrote:
    Yates.

Same surname as Sean Yates.

Sean Yates rode with Armstrong.

That's all I need to know.

Sean Yates worked for Sky

Sky are doping.

You missed the vital two steps from your theory.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Mad_Malx
    Meta review of beta agonists as performance enhancement (or not):

http://link.springer.com/article/10.216 ... 7020-00001
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    The_Boy wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    Yates.

Sky are doping.

Damn it, you're right.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    The_Boy wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    Yates.

Sky are doping.

Just saw podium footage of Yates next to Wiggins and Wiggins put an arm round him. Smoking gun as far as I can tell. He obviously corrupted him and took him down this route.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    RichN95 wrote:
    Expanding on a joke I made on Twitter, this is the transition of the Twitterati tonight:

OSalWND.png

spoiler alert!!!

Yeah, cheers for that :evil:
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    One consolation for Carlton Kirby - he won't need to remember which colour of socks each brother wears. Now just look for the one with the red face.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Wasn't Ulissi banned for over doing it on the satbutamol? If I remember correctly satbutamol is permitted but only up to a certain level?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    I'd be interested to know how many riders have asthma and have TUEs relating to it.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Dabber wrote:
    I'd be interested to know how many riders have asthma and have TUEs relating to it.

Every E/1 crit I used to do it was like an asthma convention on the start line - puff puff - clip clip
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,399
    RichN95 wrote:

OSalWND.png

spoiler alert!!!

Yeah thanks for that...
  • solstice21
    solstice21 Posts: 321
    This was just on breakfast t.v. so what's with the spoiler sulks?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,399
    Solstice21 wrote:

I don't watch breakfast TV?

Have successfully (and very easily) avoided all spoilers so far.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ...what are you waiting for?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Not sure where I am at with this one... Still at the "he can't be a cheat, he's British" stage at the moment.
  • Mad_Malx
    He will have to take a ban, but since Orica are saying it was the Doc that fkd up, Yates' must have a case for massive compensation for damage to his career.
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    Dabber wrote:

So would I. TUE abuse was one of the accusations levelled at the Salazar/Nike Oregon Project. My first question is do these people really have asthma? I can remember kids puffing on these things when I was doing school XC races back in the 80s and I thought it was a bit odd then. TUEs should be public domain info as far as I'm concerned.
  • bigcgilmour
    bigcgilmour Posts: 106
    Terbutaline or other Beta-2 Agonist

If you take terbutaline or any other beta-2 agonist for the treatment of asthma, you must submit a TUE request for asthma and your full medical file through ADAMS to confirm the diagnosis of asthma and/or its clinical variants.
    The medical file should include:
    - A detailed medical history and clinical review;
    - Lung function test with spirometry;
    - Bronchodilator response;
    - Bronchial provocation tests.

To assist your doctor in completing the correct tests, and providing the correct medical information, we suggest that he or she consults the WADA Guidelines on Asthma.

This is lifted from the UCI TUE page, it's pretty straightforward and ud hope that all of the above has been done...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Jammer.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    edited April 2016
    If its a team foul up, and the story is as OGE state then its harsh on him. I'd be surprised/disappointed if he were banned due to a admin oversight ... but I can see that backdated TUE's aren't the future!

The other fallout is that he will then never ride for Sky, and therefore neither will his brother (assuming he returns to the sport and they retain the desire to stay together).

What a mess.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    bflk wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

So would I. TUE abuse was one of the accusations levelled at the Salazar/Nike Oregon Project. My first question is do these people really have asthma? I can remember kids puffing on these things when I was doing school XC races back in the 80s and I thought it was a bit odd then. TUEs should be public domain info as far as I'm concerned.

Why? To satisfy your curiosity or others need for "transparency"?

In what other profession would you publicly need to declare what medications you are taking? Why don't we also say that the whereabouts forms need to be publicly shown as well?

There is a need for the Anti-doping authorities to have this information but there is no need at all it to be public apart to satisfy the gossipy nature of some. Athletes deserve some privacy.
  • neonriver wrote:
    bflk wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

Why? To satisfy your curiosity or others need for "transparency"?

In what other profession would you publicly need to declare what medications you are taking? Why don't we also say that the whereabouts forms need to be publicly shown as well?

There is a need for the Anti-doping authorities to have this information but there is no need at all it to be public apart to satisfy the gossipy nature of some. Athletes deserve some privacy.

I agree with the last poster…. When, oh when did society feel it is their business to know what ANYONE in the public arena, be it sports people, filmstars, etc etc are doing at ALL times?
    We have become a society driven by some crazy NEED TO KNOW mentality, people are crucified on social media for not answering what is a personal issue, or what prepration etc they are undertaking for anything they are doing.
    I personally blame the likes of the Kardashians etc for using social media to reveal EVERYTHING about their lives, and then society seems to think, if they can tell all, why can't other well known people do the same!
    Yes, there are big bucks to be earned by being a top sports person etc etc, but there is also a basic expectation surely that they are not "owned" by the public, they do not need to reveal EVERYTHING about their lives to Twitter etc etc, and as a society it reflects so badly on us that when that information isn't revealed the person in question is vilified.
    I for one don't understand Twitter, never used Facebook because quite frankly I don't care what my mates had for tea etc etc!!!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    CarbonClem wrote:
    If its a team foul up, and the story is as OGE state then its harsh on him. I'd be surprised/disappointed if he were banned due to a admin oversight ... but I can see that backdated TUE's aren't the future!

The other fallout is that he will then never ride for Sky, and therefore neither will his brother (assuming he returns to the sport and they retain the desire to stay together).

What a mess.

Yeah, the whole 'smart move not going to SKY' looks a little bit premature now..
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Solstice21 wrote:

Doesn't really give much away, if anything at all though does it?

Not like it's a gif of Stanis and Jon Snow doing the Macarena in celebration after successfully faking both their own deaths.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    CarbonClem wrote:
    I'd be surprised/disappointed if he were banned due to a admin oversight ...
    You haven’t thought that through. If you could get away with taking PEDs because of an admin oversight, there would be a massive surge in admin errors.

There has to be a ban, unfortunately. The worry, as usual, is that we may never know if Orica-GreenEDGE/Yates was deliberately doping.

I think the TUE system has become barely workable in this new era of marginal-gains doping.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    effillo wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Solstice21 wrote:

Doesn't really give much away, if anything at all though does it?

Not like it's a gif of Stanis and Jon Snow doing the Macarena in celebration after successfully faking both their own deaths.

...I was surprised by that scene too. Ned Stark on bass was also a head scratcher.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver