British male road cyclist fails drug test [Mail]

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The funny thing is tomorrow that the British (non-cycling) media will descend on Yorkshire demanding answers of Brailsford, Cookson, whoever, while Matt White, Neil Stephens or whoever will sit in the bus drinking VB completely peacefully.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    John Joe Wright ‏@jwrt73
    Thing is Si Yates can't dope cause he always puts his Strava up.

:lol::lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Brits riding with Aussies?

Never trustworthy ;)
  • ddraver
    If I were Fran Millar I would be making a big sign for the side of the Death Star saying "SIMON YATES DOES NOT RIDE FOR US" right now
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Yates.

Same surname as Sean Yates.

Sean Yates rode with Armstrong.

That's all I need to know.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Jesus what a week for British cycling, and also not good for OGE after all the accusations fired their way post Hayman's win at Roubaix.

It's a shame he was one of my favorites, we'll need to see what comes of this.

It won't spin well for Sky and British cycling with Heano, JTL and now Yates being a BC podium athlete. There will be certain area's of the media (I use the term lightly) who will use this as further ammo.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Shame they deleted this tweet!
    http://imgur.com/lMqRuRm
  • RichN95.
    TOP TIPS: Orica-Greenedge - want to avoid attention for a doping positive? Appoint Shane Sutton as your Press Officer.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Jesus what a week for British cycling, and also not good for OGE after all the accusations fired their way post Hayman's win at Roubaix.

It's a shame he was one of my favorites, we'll need to see what comes of this.

It won't spin well for Sky and British cycling with Heano, JTL and now Yates being a BC podium athlete. There will be certain area's of the media (I use the term lightly) who will use this as further ammo.

well yep,the Telegraph are already using this as their photo of choice to go with the story
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChKgS0XWIAAkEIb.jpg
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Another, lazy option would be to re-use some of the .gifs going around suggesting what life is like in the Labour press office right now.
  • Shadowrider
    Orica will get away with very very little bad press about this, BC will take 99% of the heat here.

What an idiot.
  • Shadowrider
    When was the last time Yates had contact with the BC program, other than riding WC? Surely all training and coaching is through Orica?
  • ddraver
    edited April 2016
    On April 22, the team was notified that Simon Yates has an adverse analytical finding from a test conducted at Paris-Nice, stage 6 on March 12, 2016.

The positive result is for the substance Terbutaline.

The substance was given to Simon Yates in the form an asthma inhaler and accordingly, this was noted by the team doctor on the Doping Control Form, signed at the time of the test.

The substance was given in an ongoing treatment of Simon Yates’ documented asthma problems. However, in this case the team doctor made an administrative error by failing to apply for the TUE required for the use of this treatment.

The use of Terbutaline without a current TUE is the reason it has been flagged as an adverse analytical finding. This is solely based on a human error that the doctor in question has taken full responsibility for.

There has been no wrong-doing on Simon Yates’ part. The team takes full responsibility for this mistake and wishes to underline their support for Simon during this process.

The team is concerned by the leak of this information and has no further comments until there has been a full evaluation made of the documentation, statements and evidence that the team and Simon Yates are now submitting to the UCI in order to clarify everything.

This is gonna be....yup
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Can't help thinking that all this attention will lead Sky to pull the plug on their sponsorship. Even though Yates has never ridden for them the Mail quickly mentions JTL with a nice picture of him in Sky kit and many of the photos in Varnishgate probably have Sky sponsored GB kit prominent!

• So between this and the Sahne Sutton debacle, it's just an Aussie conspiracy to f**k with British cycling :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    ddraver wrote:
    On April 22, the team was notified that Simon Yates has an adverse analytical finding from a test conducted at Paris-Nice, stage 6 on March 12, 2016.

The positive result is for the substance Terbutaline.

The substance was given to Simon Yates in the form an asthma inhaler and accordingly, this was noted by the team doctor on the Doping Control Form, signed at the time of the test.

The substance was given in an ongoing treatment of Simon Yates’ documented asthma problems. However, in this case the team doctor made an administrative error by failing to apply for the TUE required for the use of this treatment.

The use of Terbutaline without a current TUE is the reason it has been flagged as an adverse analytical finding. This is solely based on a human error that the doctor in question has taken full responsibility for.

There has been no wrong-doing on Simon Yates’ part. The team takes full responsibility for this mistake and wishes to underline their support for Simon during this process.

The team is concerned by the leak of this information and has no further comments until there has been a full evaluation made of the documentation, statements and evidence that the team and Simon Yates are now submitting to the UCI in order to clarify everything.

This is gonna be....yup

Should be easy to check!
  • Shadowrider
    Inhaler. There is your tie to Froome.
  • RichN95.
    This is an easy case.

Has Simon Yates had a TUE for this before?

Yes - six month ban for team stupidity

No - two years (it's not a four year drug)
  • RichN95.
    Depends on the inhaler. Froome doesn't need a TUE for his, so probably just Sambutathingy.
  • Shadowrider
    Between this human error and the doctor giving Impy contaminated capsules it would seem Orica have no luck.
  • Shadowrider
    RichN95 wrote:
    This is an easy case.

I thought all first time bans were 4 years now?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    This is an easy case.

Maximum of four years. It's not a fixed sentence. Never has been.
  • Shadowrider
    Had a look on the clinc, it played out like this ALL BRITS CHEAT, FROOME IS NEXT, SKY SKY HEANO SKY, ADAM YATES, TYLER HAMILTON, (then statement released), oh you can't trust the daily mail blowing this out of context.
  • Duncanandthemachine
    Duncanandthemachine Posts: 263
    edited April 2016
    RichN95 wrote:
    This is an easy case.

Do you get TUEs on a use by use basis or can you get a more permanent one if a rider is using a particular substance routinely...as I might assume an asthma sufferer might? (I ask this with no experience of asthma personally!)
  • Shadowrider
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    This is an easy case.

Maximum of four years. It's not a fixed sentence. Never has been.

Ok thanks Rich.
  • Shadowrider
    http://www.drugs.com/cdi/terbutaline.html

"Terbutaline is a bronchodilator. It works by dilating (opening) the bronchioles of the lungs by relaxing the muscles around them. This allows for easier airflow into and out of the lungs."

Does sound like something that could be abused if it was massively effective.
  • ddraver
    RichN95 wrote:
    Depends on the inhaler. Froome doesn't need a TUE for his, so probably just Sambutathingy.

Sambuccamol?

Is that what you inhale when you light the shot and drink it??
    - @ddraver
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    If true...... Thanks for hanging the doubt on everyone, Simon. As an athlete, you don't just represent yourself, but your team, your sport and your country. Your fans too.
  • RichN95.
    Expanding on a joke I made on Twitter, this is the transition of the Twitterati tonight:

OSalWND.png