Rio Olympics - track cycling

Comments

• PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Tony Doyle is an interesting character then. 'Women should shut up and get on with it'.

You have to be pretty ignorant not to be aware of the context and significance of name calling and labels. It's political correctness gone mad!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Looks like this is the straw that broke the camels back judging by all the bitching flying around in the TwitterSphere. Every old grudge against BC seems to be rising to the surface all at once, and making everyone take sides.

This surely cannot be a good thing for British Cycling and especially for performances in Rio this summer.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:
    There are some major deviations from the facts in these last 2 pages...

Quite. There's been some posts that would make the loons in The Other Place proud, too.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    As a long standing contributor known for my forward thinking inclusive approach to all things I have this comment. (irony)

Shane has been a significant contributor to the success of Britain's cyclists, male and female, he is a brusk direct and demanding character and from time to time some athletes will be sensitive and not like his comments. Telling a woman she has a fat bottom is entirely relevant if that fat bottom is detracting from sporting performance.

Its a style thing, sometimes that grates and with some others it doesnt.

So far so good.

Calling disabled people wobblies or suggesting a woman goes off and has a baby is a gross error of judgement today and someone in his role needs to be more aware and hopefully more enlightened. But this is not his responsibility alone. His manager should have been aware of his need for support and personal development. Given the period of time that this appears to have been an issue, the must have been an absence of the sort of leadership qualities required at the top of B. This organisation doesn't just need managers and administrators its needs leadership to create the right culture to take it into the next phase. The BBC interview where the CEO says theres no problem and theres going to be an investigation should ring alarm bells.

Clearly there IS a problem and clearly, its been simmering for a long time; I only hope there is vision and strength of leadership for change. I sincerely hope that the political will at BC and Sport is sufficiently strong to move through the barriers to change.
  • As a long standing contributor known for my forward thinking inclusive approach to all things I have this comment. (irony)

Shane has been a significant contributor to the success of Britain's cyclists, male and female, he is a brusk direct and demanding character and from time to time some athletes will be sensitive and not like his comments. Telling a woman she has a fat bottom is entirely relevant if that fat bottom is detracting from sporting performance.

So far so good.

Calling disabled people wobblies or suggesting a woman goes off and has a baby is a gross error of judgement today and someone in his role needs to be more aware and hopefully more enlightened. But this is not his responsibility alone. His manager should have been aware of his need for support and personal development. Given the period of time that this appears to have been an issue, the must have been an absence of the sort of leadership qualities required at the top of B. This organisation doesn't just need managers and administrators its needs leadership to create the right culture to take it into the next phase. The BBC interview where the CEO says theres no problem and theres going to be an investigation should ring alarm bells.

Clearly there IS a problem and clearly, its been simmering for a long time; I only hope there is vision and strength of leadership for change. I sincerely hope that the political will at BC and Sport is sufficiently strong to move through the barriers to change.

Good points. Sutton is / was a convenient scapegoat but you are right, his management needs looking at. Both Ian Drake and Dave Brailsford have condoned things. Remember, Sutton only took over 2 years ago and he hasn't suddenly changed. He's always been tough and direct.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,911
    ddraver wrote:
    There are some major deviations from the facts in these last 2 pages...

The only facts at this stage being that a number of allegations have been made, which have subsequently been denied and that Sutton has resigned.

But yes, some comments have strayed a ways.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The_Boy
    The only facts at this stage being that a number of allegations have been made, which have subsequently been denied and that Sutton has resigned.

I'd just like to quote this for emphasis, as it's rather an important point.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy wrote:

I'd just like to quote this for emphasis, as it's rather an important point.

The fact that the complaints are all going to the Daily Mail rather than British Cycling HR should make alarm bells ring.

The latest 'revelations' about old kit being sold off are just ridiculous. What are they meant to do with it? Burn it or just keep it? All riders sell their old kit off and fair play to them, it's a bit of extra cash in a cash poor environment.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,090
    Indeed. I ride around in some rapha condor kit I bought off a pro.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,621
    Indeed. I ride around in some rapha condor kit I bought off a pro.

Is that the JLT stuff?

Off topic - Condor have the pro shorts on sale for £60 at the mo - small and XS last time I checked, small fit me fine, bought two pairs.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    Yup. Very comfy 3/4s.

Migh have a gander.

Btw 3/4s bibs are so underrated.

When I see a rider in some, as opposed to shorts with warmers, I know s/he knows their sh!t.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    The latest 'revelations' about old kit being sold off are just ridiculous. What are they meant to do with it? Burn it or just keep it? All riders sell their old kit off and fair play to them, it's a bit of extra cash in a cash poor environment.

Yeah nothing wrong with selling a bit of old kit - but 2,200 items through a Greater Manchester bike shop is at least worth investigating yes ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    Bahaha 2000 pieces of kit??!

And will skip the JLT kit - don't like the yellow.

Mine were just plane black with small writing up the front of the thigh and a skoda logo on my arse.
  • Here's the story;
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/a ... ton-gb-kit

A small shop that helps out the mechanics at the track and sometimes gets paid in kit / sells off old or returned equipment and gets to sell off out of date team kit is hardly a cause for concern.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,997
    As a long standing contributor known for my forward thinking inclusive approach to all things I have this comment. (irony)

So far so good.

Spot on (although with the proviso that the comments are alleged and denied).
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    There'll be invoices and reciepts and stuff though if its all above board. So it should be no problem.
  • Pross
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    re: level 4 coaching quals. I don't think there's any requirement for level 4 or even level 3.

For the Technical Director role or for coaching in general? The coaching staff will certainly need Level 3 as you can't coach one-on-one or produce training plans as a Level 2 coach.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    I doubt they stick religiously to that - would Kerrison have been made to sit through a BC level 3 badge before he took his job for example ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Looks like little Pete being getting in on the action also, telling Emma pooley to get over it after she questions why team sky had no woman's team

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36164265
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    Looks like little Pete being getting in on the action also, telling Emma pooley to get over it after she questions why team sky had no woman's team

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36164265

Getting hammered by the "I am outraged" brigade on twitter
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,911
    https://twitter.com/gallagherbren/statu ... lang=en-gb
    Following the resignation yesterday of British Cycling’s Technical Director Shane Sutton, I wanted to make the following statement.

A lot has been written about Shane Sutton and British Cycling in the media in recent days. Given the seriousness of the allegations of discrimination, I welcome the independent investigation to be conducted by UK Sport and look forward to contributing if asked to do so. I encourage everyone with an interest in the future of British Cycling to do the same.

I’ve no intention of providing my opinion on the allegations through the media. With our best cyclists less than 100 days away from competing in the most important event of their careers, all those with something to say need to do so in the right environment and allow our fabulous riders to finish their Olympic and Paralympic preparations without this distraction. I think Andy Harrison will do a great job taking over the technical director role and leading the team in Rio.

I do want to pay tribute to Shane for what he’s achieved for British Cycling and for me personally over the years. I have never met anyone who gave so much to their role within any team and who cared so much for the performance of the riders. Shane expected 100% commitment from every member of the team regardless of their role and he led by example in that respect. As a coach, his uncompromising approach yielded unparalleled results for the GB team and his contribution to my career and the entire British Cycling success story was outstanding. For this, I would like to sincerely thank him.

Back in 2009 I wrote a short article in The Guardian on Shane as my mentor, which I thought appropriate to share today: The Guardian

It’s important to recognise that all of British Cycling’s success is due to the combined effort of a huge number of people. There is a magnificent support team of coaches and other personnel who provide their expertise and passion to allow the riders to get the best out of themselves. That team remains, and I for one can’t wait to proudly watch our Olympic and Paralympic riders representing Great Britain in Rio. Let’s all get behind them.

Sir Chris Hoy
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Pross wrote:
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    re: level 4 coaching quals. I don't think there's any requirement for level 4 or even level 3.

For the Technical Director role or for coaching in general? The coaching staff will certainly need Level 3 as you can't coach one-on-one or produce training plans as a Level 2 coach.

Sure you can - the only issue of being 'allowed' to do it is insurance, and that insurance can be bought from sportscoach uk or other vendors. For example, there isn't even a BMX version and I'm quite sure that there's one to one coaching in that squad!

ps. I asked the same question at my level 3 day and the answer was 'No, the elite coaches do not necessarily have those qualifications'.
  • daniel_b
    The Great Britain Cycling Team has been featured heavily in the news this week with allegations being made about former technical director, Shane Sutton, and his subsequent resignation yesterday. British Cycling has announced that Andy Harrison, programmes director, will be taking over with immediate effect and will manage the team in the build-up to Rio 2016.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The_Boy
    Leaving this here without comment, solely because it is relevant and may be of interest.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/a ... are_btn_tw
  • daniel_b
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    Tis
  • Pross
    Ah, idiot! Haven't felt this bad about the sport since the start of the century.
  • daniel_b
    I am speechless.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Things get said, always have and always will do, however journalists lack all discretion these days for a cheap story.

The guy could have ignored it, called him a nutter and walked.

No... 3 months before the Olympics he's goes for blood. Little, little England.

Really? So you can't see any public interest angle at all in this?
    Gossip interest yes, but the reality is today's public are so introverted, gossip hungry and self obsessed that every thing becomes way blown out of proportion. We all say things that can be reported or misreported.

Newspapers are overloaded today with 'what people said'. WTF ?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP