Rio Olympics - track cycling

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So social media has passed judgement. There is no place for discrimination of any kind in cycling. Except against asthmatics.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I wonder what Sutton would have called asthmatics.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2016
    poppit wrote:
    I wonder what Sutton would have called asthmatics.
    Simon and Bradley?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Wheezies?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • PuttyKnees wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    re: level 4 coaching quals. I don't think there's any requirement for level 4 or even level 3.

For the Technical Director role or for coaching in general? The coaching staff will certainly need Level 3 as you can't coach one-on-one or produce training plans as a Level 2 coach.

Sure you can - the only issue of being 'allowed' to do it is insurance, and that insurance can be bought from sportscoach uk or other vendors. For example, there isn't even a BMX version and I'm quite sure that there's one to one coaching in that squad!

ps. I asked the same question at my level 3 day and the answer was 'No, the elite coaches do not necessarily have those qualifications'.

As far as I am aware, none of the coaches had the BC qualifications apart from Sutton but the rest may have done the courses by now. If you read the content to the level 2/3 courses you would realise just how irrelevant they are to coaching high performance riders. As it most companies, the guys in the learning and development department know nothing about how the company actually works.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704

Smacks of sexism to me.
    Actually, I don't think SS will complain. Rather the opposite.
    I've heard no findings until after the gim.........ParaOlympics. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    Becky talks...........................a little, for now:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... utton.html

If you are OK with the piece, which I suspect around here will be a minority, I guarantee the comments underneath will incense.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-t ... -322vbw0j6
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Times article is behind paywall, but it's probably for the best
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    If you are OK with the piece, which I suspect around here will be a minority, I guarantee the comments underneath will incense.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-t ... -322vbw0j6[/quote]

Liddle putting in an early bid for this year's Matthew Paris murder all cyclists memorial award I see. Not prepared to go behind the Digger's pay wall, so I've spared myself from the fk tard comments.
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC Posts: 172
    Very troubling to see riders being threatened about speaking honestly. Surely Olympic selection should be based solely on merit as opposed to their ability to toe the party line?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/british ... ked-email/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    CuthbertC wrote:
    Very troubling to see riders being threatened about speaking honestly. Surely Olympic selection should be based solely on merit as opposed to their ability to toe the party line?

Old news, it was followed about an hour later by an apology / clarification.
  • RichN95.
    CuthbertC wrote:

Pointing out that airing dirty laundry in public will have a detrimental effect on coaching relationships isn't a threat, it's a statement of the bleeding obvious.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The "offensive" comments in the original email could also be interpreted as a warning that adverse comments to the media could threaten the funding of British Cycling's Olympic programme overall, rather than a threat that particular riders' prospects might be impacted. Clumsily worded, but the subsequent email clears it all up. Storm in a teacup.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    BigMat wrote:
    The "offensive" comments in the original email could also be interpreted as a warning that adverse comments to the media could threaten the funding of British Cycling's Olympic programme overall, rather than a threat that particular riders' prospects might be impacted. Clumsily worded, but the subsequent email clears it all up. Storm in a teacup.

Really - is someone operating at that level really going to send out Clumsily worded emails - especially in the current situation?
    Not that I think riders should be commenting on the situation to the media anyway - not until after the "investigation" is completed - and even then it's debatble ..
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Why do we always underestimate incompetence at the highest level of organisations, particularly in situations of stress?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Maybe I was being a bit generous!
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Slowbike wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Really - is someone operating at that level really going to send out Clumsily worded emails - especially in the current situation?

I spent a couple of years in the staff loans dept of a multinational bank. On the evidence of their applications, most of the Directors were barely literate.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross
    Let's face it, in most lines of work sending an internal email out for public consumption would get you sacked or at the very least a warning.
  • Rio2016
    Rio2016 Posts: 6
    More cycling tickets released at 16.00 today in Brazil - for those interested.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Still no word about Jess getting, or not getting back into the team.

I see on her website she was meeting up with the new PD on her return, but that was a month ago she posted that, so not sure if that meeting has occurred.

Guess it seems unlikely now, as it would seem to suggest unsound judgement on their parts, but I for one would like to see her back in the team, having followed her efforts for some years now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I thought she'd been told she wasn't going to get back in - that was reported in the press about a month ago anyway. Realistically there was no way they were going to back track - even if the new performance director had thought it was harsh to drop her which of course he may not have.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    It's a shame obviously, but her results were not what they needed to be to be picked either
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I don't follow it that closely but I imagine that's it for her now is it ? Once you are outside the BC programme is there any way for a rider to prove themselves good enough to get back in ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Darn, that is a shame :-(

I wonder if she cannot re-train and make her way into road Cycling, as per the likes of King, Trott, Armitstead, Clancy, Thomas to name but a few.

I appreciate she is built as a powerful sprinter, but there must be training programs that will change her muscle balance to at least give her a chance as a road sprinter.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I don't follow it that closely but I imagine that's it for her now is it ? Once you are outside the BC programme is there any way for a rider to prove themselves good enough to get back in ?

I think there would still have to be big changes in the setup there at BC for that to happen, that meeting a month ago for instance the details still somehow made it into the press, so I dont know what happens next, see what happens in Rio I guess, by this stage 4 years ago theyd already announced the team, though the Olympics are a week later this time I guess they are holding off till nationals this weekend to pick the Road/TT picks, and will announce the whole BC Track/Road/BMX squad next week.
  • blazing_saddles
    awavey wrote:

I think there would still have to be big changes in the setup there at BC for that to happen, that meeting a month ago for instance the details still somehow made it into the press, so I dont know what happens next, see what happens in Rio I guess, by this stage 4 years ago theyd already announced the team, though the Olympics are a week later this time I guess they are holding off till nationals this weekend to pick the Road/TT picks, and will announce the whole BC Track/Road/BMX squad next week.

Not going to give the exact date, but you are pretty close. :wink:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    awavey wrote:

Not going to give the exact date, but you are pretty close. :wink:

well Katie A says she'll hear Friday ;)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/oth ... ref=twtrec
  • It's going to rear it's ugly head again at some point, so I might as well post this.
    Sir Dave B called for Sutton's reinstatement, two days ago and as I said, the riders to speak now that Rio is over.

Sir Wiggo 2 days ago:-
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... sh-cycling

Early today:-
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... sh-cycling

This time, at least one of us knows what the IC is going to hear. :P
  • Pross
    I'm slightly confused as one article says he is suspended and the other that he resigned. My recollection is that he was suspended so chose to resign, if that's the case then wouldn't he need to re-apply for the job rather than be reinstated? Is the job even available still?