Worlds 2018 - SPOILERS

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,116
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Bjerg one to watch for the future.

He's just defended his title, surely he was one to watch last year?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Talking of having to wait: Charlie Tanfield. :oops:

What did happen there? Just sloppy?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Indeed. No Ta Doctor will be pleased. He picked Bjerg out as someone to watch in the Tour de l'Avenir thread I believe.

Very happy with that :-) l'Avenir had a TTT this year, which the Danes predictably smashed.

Mathias Norsgaard took the bronze as well.

I can't find the Jnr TT start list anywhere
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    inseine wrote:
    I assume Elynor Backstedt is Magnus's daughter?

correct
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    So as we are in a spoiler zone now then :) Canyon-SRAM won the womens TTT team, Boels 2nd, Team Sunweb 3rd, Canyon SRAM finished with all 6 riders too, and its effectively their 5th title and Trixi Worrack has been part of all those winning teams and this was her last race for the team as she moves to Trek racing next year

Wiggles pace was fastest through the first time check, but they lost Katie Archibald who didnt finish the course and then gapped on Emilia Fahlin.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    andyp wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Fair enough. I was more thinking on the pro circuit - I’m guessing he’s only just left school.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Fair enough. I was more thinking on the pro circuit - I’m guessing he’s only just left school.

Nope.

He rode California, Denmark and L'Avenir this year, as a PC rider.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/mikkel-bjerg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,116
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

The u23 TT title is a good indicator of future success, there aren't many winners/podium finishers who've not gone on to have a successful pro career. So one would expect Bjerg to graduate to the pro ranks, although he has another year with Hagen Bermans Axeon next year.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    But Mikkel Bjerg (last year's winner and still only 19) looks like he is going to knock them all down a step

He’s going to be good! Better yet, he’s content staying with Hagens Berman Axion and not making haste decisions to go World Tour yet.

I also read he's going for the Danish Hour record later this year.
  • The better prospects for future talent often do well in the time trial, as opposed to the road race
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    awavey wrote:
    inseine wrote:

correct

And her mother, Meg, was an international cyclist who won the 1998 National Road Race and a bronze at the World junior track champs.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Pross wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    inseine wrote:

correct

And her mother, Meg, was an international cyclist who won the 1998 National Road Race and a bronze at the World junior track champs.

That's some serious cycling genes
  • Remco Evenepoel makes everybody else look like fourteen year olds, as he utterly destroys the junior men's ITT field.
    Averages 50kph, while on restricted gears.
    No wonder he isn't bothering with boring stuff like under 23, or pro conti, instead becoming the wolf pack's new cub.
    By the looks, it won't be long before he becomes the alpha male.
  • Remco Evenepoel makes everybody else look like fourteen year olds, as he utterly destroys the junior men's ITT field.
    No wonder he isn't bothering with boring stuff like under 23, or pro conti, instead becoming the wolf pack's new cub.

He looks the real deal, hope he's given time to develop. Just checked out his Strava there, some of his numbers are stunning.
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    Remco Evenepoel makes everybody else look like fourteen year olds, as he utterly destroys the junior men's ITT field.

He looks the real deal, hope he's given time to develop. Just checked out his Strava there, some of his numbers are stunning.

What sort of rider is he, looks reasonably stocky for an 18 year old cyclist so I'm imagining more of a classics man? I suppose at that age it's best not to pigeonhole.

My mates son ended up 14th I think which he (my mate - no idea what his son's ambitions were) is delighted with.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,937
    inseine wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    inseine wrote:

correct

That's some serious cycling genes

And her younger sister is some rider too - an U14 who smashes the boys at that age, and then is happy to smash the U16 girls too!
  • Mad_Malx
    All dutch van-fest for the women's TT.
    Vleuten from der Breggen and Dijk
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    All dutch van-fest for the women's TT.
    Vleuten from der Breggen and Dijk

Yeah.

What an exciting women's ITT that wasn't, as the usual suspects take the entire podium and Lucinda Brandt 6th place, to make the Dutch domination complete.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Remco Evenepoel makes everybody else look like fourteen year olds, as he utterly destroys the junior men's ITT field.

What sort of rider is he, looks reasonably stocky for an 18 year old cyclist so I'm imagining more of a classics man? I suppose at that age it's best not to pigeonhole.

My mates son ended up 14th I think which he (my mate - no idea what his son's ambitions were) is delighted with.

I think Remco Evenpoel is the real deal. He could have been a professional footballer and ran the Gent half marathon in 1 hr 17 mins i,m told.The Belgian cycling fraternity see him as the next Merckx, and yes his numbers are incredible for such a young man. He won the TT today and will surely win the road race the big question is by how much.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Someone I know is in the British squad for the Junior Women's road race, which is pretty cool. She used to come to the Go-Ride club I coached at.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Someone I know is in the British squad for the Junior Women's road race, which is pretty cool. She used to come to the Go-Ride club I coached at.
    Nice one !

Who is it and we can cheer her :)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,235
    What a good job they didn’t make the ladies go up the big hill in the TT like the men have to tomorrow. Can you imagine?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Yep, how would they have had the energy to cook their boyfriends dinners and keep their fecundity alive if they'd had the same physical challenge as the men.

It's a good job women's running marathons are shorter than men's...
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Not sure if anyone posted this before
    https://twitter.com/ShimanoROAD/status/ ... 20993?s=17
    Loved the: anyone checked the elevation? :lol:
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,927
    Just read that Van Vleuten fainted in the morning before the ITT during a doping test...

"Reports say that doctors were unable to find a vein and the use of the needle caused her to faint."

I never realised they tested them (and took blood) immediately before such major races.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Outstanding!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    If Wilco makes a full effort he could be in the hotseat for quite a while this afternoon.
    I'm sure it's been asked before - How is the lower order determined ?
  • hegyestomi wrote:
    Not sure if anyone posted this before

Brilliant. Am sure someone will be along soon to say Campag's jokes are far funnier.
  • hegyestomi wrote:

Brilliant. Am sure someone will be along soon to say Campag's jokes are far funnier.

They are, it's just that the common man doesn't, like, get their humour bro *strokes beard*
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Poptart242 wrote:
    hegyestomi wrote:

They are, it's just that the common man doesn't, like, get their humour bro *strokes beard*

And all the riders on the group are on shimano, Campags one would just be Dan Martin and Ben Swift talking to eachother