Worlds 2018 - SPOILERS

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    It all kicks off today with the TTT. I don’t think many people will be sorry to see the end of the mans event ( will they bring it back as a country based team event?).
  • However much climbing there is it's a flat finish (I think last 2k?) so countries sending riders up the road in the finale have to think about whether they can sprint unless they get away solo. I'm imagining Allaphilippe has a decent finish though I might be imagining that because he can finish well on a steep gradient - some of those other French riders maybe not so much.

You'd think that Valverde wins it if he gets to the finish in any size front group of riders who can get over those climbs so.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    DeadCalm wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Think Alaphilippe is the clear favourite, but no idea how strong the French team is.
    One of the strongest teams. Alaphilippe, Bardet, Gallopin, Geniez, Pinot, Molard, Roux and Rolland

Its a fairly strong collection of individuals. There's not a chance they'll ride as a unit. But I suspect that won't stop the commentators claiming that attempts to win the race for themselves by Pinot, Bardet etc are a ploy to put pressure on other teams.
    As long as they don't chase their own man down, with that team (which is a result of the riders they have available), surely it's a legitimate tactic to send guys up the road in the hope that something sticks, in the meantime allowing Alaphilippe to follow wheels? What would your instructions be if you were the French DS?

Pinot and Rolland will go in an early break to try to pick up KoM points ;)
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I can see GB being strong in the Junior and U23 men as well.
    Really? With which riders? Genuine question.

I know nothing about the juniors and don't know who has been picked for the U23s but Donovan and Williams would seem to be the best options GB have at that level and neither looks strong enough to actually win.

I hadn't seen the squad when I wrote that but had assumed Pidcock would be racing. I actually think Steve Williams has a reasonable chance, he's done well in Ardennes races in the past that I assume would be comparable. I'd also thought Scott Davies was still eligible but I'm not sure now (I'm surprised he didn't make the senior squad on this sort of course).
    I've moved this from the transfers thread as it seems more relevant here. I hope nobody objects.

Williams would have been a dark horse but has been showing no kind of form recently. Also, as I understand it, the U23s aren't doing the 'Highway To Holl" section so it's not really an Ardennes style course.

Sosa is a big favourite. I haven't seen the profile but, assuming there is a descent after the final climb and then some flat, I'd say that Pogacar and Mader have a big chance. I'd not rule Eddie Dunbar out either.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Christ. When will the man catch a break.

Perfect position for the French to dominate? What better race to watch a tactical catastrophe. DS will never reign in egos or arrange a choreographed win.

If a French rider wins (which id love to see) I doubt it would be thanks to a DS
    They have some chap called Cyril Guimard in charge of the team. I wonder if he's any good? :lol:
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Women’s TTT now live on Eurosport. No BBC coverage until Tuesday.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited September 2018
    DeadCalm wrote:

Perfect position for the French to dominate? What better race to watch a tactical catastrophe. DS will never reign in egos or arrange a choreographed win.

If a French rider wins (which id love to see) I doubt it would be thanks to a DS
    They have some chap called Cyril Guimard in charge of the team. I wonder if he's any good? :lol:
    Well he hasn't been a DS for a pro team since 1997, so probably not any more. Most of the French team weren't even born when he was last winning big races.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    I'm imagining Allaphilippe has a decent finish though I might be imagining that because he can finish well on a steep gradient - some of those other French riders maybe not so much.

Well he did get beaten by Sagan and Kwia in Milan San Remo, but not by much and i doubt he'd have to contend with riders as fast as those two.
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Well he hasn't been a DS for a pro team since 1997, so probably not any more. Most of the French team weren't even born when he was last winning big races.
    Fair point. But he is held in such high regard that he may just be able to get them to ride as a team.
    Team My Man 2022:

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    thegibdog wrote:
    Women’s TTT now live on Eurosport. No BBC coverage until Tuesday.

consequently are we allowed to post spoilers ?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Worth creating a thread with “spoiler in the title”? Not a spoiler to say I loved the colour scheme of the Canyon team disc wheels!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Just watching the TTT in a hotel in Belgium. Apart from not understanding the language, what crap coverage! Lots of the riders warming up, setting off down the ramp and aerial views of the start village. It would be nice to see some cycling!
  • Lucan2 wrote:
    Just watching the TTT in a hotel in Belgium. Apart from not understanding the language, what crap coverage! Lots of the riders warming up, setting off down the ramp and aerial views of the start village. It would be nice to see some cycling!
    Watching on the ferry to hook of Holland, coverage keeps being interrupted by the world judo in Baku.
    No sound but I can imagine all of Kirby's Innane drivel so no great loss there.
  • Some of those women on the podium looked really old
  • DeadCalm
    inseine wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Australia look strong (if Porte is going OK)
    Mens Road Race
    Simon Clarke, Rohan Dennis, Jack Haig, Chris Hamilton, Damien Howson, Richie Porte, Robert Power, Rory Sutherlandatt

Is that strong for that course.? Plenty of early race protection but can't see Porte having much in the last ten per cent
    Porte has phoned in sick. No news of a replacement. No idea who will be leader. Haig?
    Well it should be Mathews if there’s any justice
    Matthews has been snubbed again. They've called up Nick Schultz of Caja-Rural (soon to be at Mitchelton-Scott) who I had never heard of before. He's a climbing domestique so I guess the Aussie selectors think the course is too hard for Matthews.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Ian Stannard crashed int he opening kilometer for Team Sky - which meant they finished fourth after waiting for him.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    The role of forlorn hope (or whatever the French equivalent is*) in the French team will now be filled by my man Warren Barguil who replaces a poorly Pierre Rolland.

*"enfant perdu" - thank you google.
    Team My Man 2022:

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    British youngsters third and fourth in the U23 TT

http://tissottiming.com/2018/crdwch/us- ... lts#anchor
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    larkim wrote:

*juniors - I don’t think there is a women’s U23 category
  • Sod spoilers. I'm not around for the road races and I've done my stint.
    Since nobody else can be arsed, this is it for the week.

Ethan Hayter sets an impressive benchmark.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Ethan Hayter took the lead in the u23 TT which prompted Dan Lloyd to tweet "Hayter's gonna wait" which raised a chuckle.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Talking of having to wait: Charlie Tanfield. :oops:
  • inseine
    larkim wrote:

I assume Elynor Backstedt is Magnus's daughter?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Ethan Hayter still looking good in bronze - several followers better at check 1 but faded.

Ticker
    http://tissottiming.com/2018/crdwch/us- ... ive#anchor
  • Mad_Malx
    But Mikkel Bjerg (last year's winner and still only 19) looks like he is going to knock them all down a step
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    Ethan Hayter still looking good in bronze - several followers better at check 1 but faded.

Ticker
    http://tissottiming.com/2018/crdwch/us- ... ive#anchor

Not any more.
    Not that Affini is going to medal, either.
  • Bjerg wins it by over half a minute.
  • Mad_Malx
    1 BJERG Mikkel 32:31.05
    2 van MOER Brent +33.47
    3 JORGENSEN Mathias Norsgaard +38.30
    4 AFFINI Edoardo +44.48
    5 HAYTER Ethan +45.65
  • Mad_Malx
    Bjerg one to watch for the future.
  • DeadCalm
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Bjerg one to watch for the future.
    Indeed. No Ta Doctor will be pleased. He picked Bjerg out as someone to watch in the Tour de l'Avenir thread I believe.
    Team My Man 2022: