Worlds 2018 - SPOILERS

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Pross wrote:
    Too tough for Sagan?

You'd think so but then he almost won Amstel so all bets are off.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Sagan surely too heavy but you never know.

Valverde, Nibali, Kwiatkowski the main favourites I would say. Then you have a whole host of guys you think could be right up there. Alaphilippe, Woods, Dan Martin, Valgren, A Yates, Jungels maybe?

Don't know whether this has been posted before but this is what part of the final climb looks like. Very tight and steep.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... ale-374759
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    Did I read somewhere that they're keeping fans away from that super steep and tight section?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    I'd expect to see a Colombian or two up there as well.

My bet is Uran v Valverde in a 2 up sprint and Uran will look over the wrong shoulder.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Seriously exciting stuff this route.

Really quite excited.

pretty close to the due date of Mini-Chasey however, so will likely miss it entirely.

Can't your partner get the midwife to video it?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740

Really quite excited.

pretty close to the due date of Mini-Chasey however, so will likely miss it entirely.

I suspect the zombie state I will be in after round the clock feeding & nappy changes will render my ability to sit and watch a bike race without instantly falling asleep (if I even get the chance to), useless.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    I watched Oliver Zaugg win Lombardy in 2011 when my son was a couple of weeks old.

It wasn't the nappy changing that put me to sleep though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333

Really quite excited.

I suspect the zombie state I will be in after round the clock feeding & nappy changes will render my ability to sit and watch a bike race without instantly falling asleep (if I even get the chance to), useless.

Depending on your child-raising choices, the feeding may not be much you can help with. So to balance out, you get to take a larger share of the other end of the baby's digestive process.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447

Really quite excited.

Newborns are easy, they just eat and sleep. It’s when they get to the toddler stage and up, and stop napping in the daytime altogether that it gets tiring!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,645

Really quite excited.

I watched a lot of sport with a new born. It was well timed as England were touring India which is a good time zone when you are up early.

I also use to record football in the evening and watch that as live in morning.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    TheBigBean wrote:

Really quite excited.

I watched a lot of sport with a new born. It was well timed as England were touring India which is a good time zone when you are up early.

I also use to record football in the evening and watch that as live in morning.

Only when you've kids you realise there's a 7am Sunday morning repeat of MOTD.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Only when you've kids you realise there's a 7am Sunday morning repeat of MOTD.
    It took me quite a while as an adult to realise that was a repeat!

That's because I don't pay attention to football though , it just used to be on when I wanted to watch cartoons.
  • Now the TOB and Vuelta are over has anyone formed views on the likely favourites for the Worlds?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Now the TOB and Vuelta are over has anyone formed views on the likely favourites for the Worlds?
    Alaphilippe is the clear favourite for me
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    I think Alaphilippe and Kwiatkowski are the only 2 five star favorites. Maybe even just Alaphilippe
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    Valverde is the bookies' favourite though

3/1 Valverde
    11/2 Alaphilippe
    12/1 S Yates
    14/1 Nibali
    16/1 A Yates, Pinot, Roglic
    18/1 Kwiatkowski
    22/1 Poels
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    The Spanish dude on the cycling podcast thinks Adam Yates is the man for the Worlds
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    I think Kwiatkowski is tasty at 18/1

Valverde ought to be cooked after the Vuelta, but he is the eternal Valverde. Think he will probably get third.

I want Kwiatkowski to win, but I think all signs point to Alaphilippe. Kwiatkowski had some issues getting back to form after his two crashes in the Vuelta, but was solid in the ITT. Still think Alaphilippe's form is perfect right now.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    inseine wrote:
    The Spanish dude on the cycling podcast thinks Adam Yates is the man for the Worlds
    Yeah I would think Adam Yates should be absolutely on form for it - quiet first 2 weeks of the Vuelta and not had the leaders pressure etc.

Alaphillipe has a better sprint from a small group though surely.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Now the TOB and Vuelta are over has anyone formed views on the likely favourites for the Worlds?

Adam Yates to complete the British domination and make Lappartient combust. Would Allaphilipe be able to hang with climbers who are going full gas? The climb on the circuit is around 15minutes or so, so a reasonable length and you'd think enough to ditch anyone that's not a pure climber.
  • inseine wrote:

This.
    He's a better one day rider than his bro and quite clearly he's been quietly building his form during this Vuelta.
    MS appear to have a clear, two part game plan and part one has...............well, I leave that for a couple or three hours.
    I reckon part two is Adam and the worlds.

Alaphilippe? I fear that panache might get the better of him.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • MS appear to have a clear, two part game plan and part one has...............well, I leave that for a couple or three hours.
    I reckon part two is Adam and the worlds.

Yeah, I can see Yates (A) ending up with the GB squad and his various rested MS teammates supporting him on the day. National pride will take a back seat with a little help from Uncle Gerry's chequebook. Not that I'm complaining.
  • bobmcstuff
    So Adam Yates worth a bet then...
  • phreak wrote:
    Adam Yates to complete the British domination and make Lappartient combust.

If a British rider won the world's expect a whole raft of new rules brought in - French teams at TdF allowed 12 riders; any team fielding anyone riding on a British licence only allowed 4 riders, no support cars or fancy chef trucks, no team hotels either - a leaky canvas frame tent instead. Post Brexit deadline no British riders allowed at all due to some obscure documentation issue.

He'd be apoplectic wouldn't he?
  • RichN95.
    Wasn't the tin foil hatters' theory that Cookson was giving protection to his British favourites and they would go back to being crap now that he'd been replaced?
  • inseine
    Can't find if the actual teams have been mentioned on here.
    The GB mens and womens elite teams are as follows;

Simon Yates, Adam Yates, Ian Stannard, Connor Swift, Hugh Carthy, Pete Kennaugh, Tao Geoghagen Hart and James Knox. TGH and Alex Dowsett ride the TT

Dani Rowe, Hannah Barnes, Dani Christmas, Alice Cobb, Anna Henderson and Sophie Wright ride the RR.
    Hayley Simmonds and Alice Barnes ride the TT.
  • Is that a strong team for the men's RR?
    Where's Dan Martin from? Where's Luke Rowe? Ben Swift & Adam Blythe any use?
  • inseine
    Is that a strong team for the men's RR?

Dan is Irish (can't you tell by his accent? :shock: )
  • inseine wrote:
    Is that a strong team for the men's RR?

Dan is Irish (can't you tell by his accent? :shock: )

Was hoping maybe N Ireland, on the border. plus I mostly watch in silence at work
  • Is that a strong team for the men's RR?

We seem to have an embarrassment of riches at the moment don't we. (Not Dan though he's Oirish)