Worlds 2018 - SPOILERS

Comments

• Is that the collective noun for 'riches'? If so, I like it ;)
  • :lol::lol::lol:
    Is that the collective noun for 'riches'? If so, I like it ;)
  • Surprised at Tao being in there.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,195
    Is that a strong team for the men's RR?
    Where's Dan Martin from? Where's Luke Rowe? Ben Swift & Adam Blythe any use?

Rowe is recovering from surgery. Swift and Blythe not done much this year have they.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Why did our GOAT not want to do this?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    inseine wrote:
    Is that a strong team for the men's RR?
    Where's Dan Martin from? Where's Luke Rowe? Ben Swift & Adam Blythe any use?

Dan is Irish (can't you tell by his accent? :shock: )

Was hoping maybe N Ireland, on the border. plus I mostly watch in silence at work

He's actually from Birmingham isn't he? Irish mother (Stephen Roche's sister). I think he chose to ride for Ireland due to some issues with British Cycling early in his career, although he might just feel more Irish than British.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    USA;
    Women;
    Coryn Rivera, Megan Guarnier, Alexis Ryan, Katharine Hall, Tayler Wiles, Ruth Winder and Leah Thomas

Men:
    Ben King, Sepp Kuss, Brent Bookwalter, Peter Stetina
  • Alaphillipe has Pinot Bardet Rolland Mollard and Geniez as climbing domestques. Or Pinot has Alaphillipe as a general super domestique!
  • inseine
    Australia look strong (if Porte is going OK)
    Mens Road Race
    Simon Clarke, Rohan Dennis, Jack Haig, Chris Hamilton, Damien Howson, Richie Porte, Robert Power, Rory Sutherland

TT
    Rohan Dennis ( no need to send 2 guys!)

Women’s Road Race
    Grace Brown, Brodie Chapman, Tiffany Cromwell, Shara Gillow, Lucy Kennedy, Sarah Roy, Amanda Spratt
  • inseine wrote:
    Mens Road Race
    Simon Clarke, Rohan Dennis, Jack Haig, Chris Hamilton, Damien Howson, Richie Porte, Robert Power, Rory Sutherlandatt

Is that strong for that course.? Plenty of early race protection but can't see Porte having much in the last ten per cent
  • Mad_Malx
    inseine wrote:
    Mens Road Race
    Simon Clarke, Rohan Dennis, Jack Haig, Chris Hamilton, Damien Howson, Richie Porte, Robert Power, Rory Sutherlandatt

Is that strong for that course.? Plenty of early race protection but can't see Porte having much in the last ten per cent

If it's on ES then Si Clarke's going to be the leader.
  • Matthews pretty peeved on the C Podcast not to have been picked.
    There was 4000m of Climbing in the Montreal race.

Has Porte ever won a 1 dayer of note, or even been up there?
  • Matthews pretty peeved on the C Podcast not to have been picked.
    There was 4000m of Climbing in the Montreal race.

Has Porte ever won a 1 dayer of note, or even been up there?

I'm not sure Porte has ever won anything of note...
  • Alaphillipe has Pinot Bardet Rolland Mollard and Geniez as climbing domestques. Or Pinot has Alaphillipe as a general super domestique!

Funny looking team. No Vuillermoz, but Rolland and Geniez?
    To me it seems more like everybody has no domestiques.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Road race only.

Colombia.
    Nairo Quintana (Movistar)
    Rigoberto Uran (EF/Drapac)
    Miguel Ángel López (Astana)
    Sergio e Sebastian Henao (Team Sky)
    Daniel Martinez (EF/Drapac)
    Rodrigo Contreras (EPM)
    Winner Anacona (Movistar)

Sosa is riding the U23 event.

Czech Rep.
    Josef Černý
    Jan Hirt
    Karel Hník
    Roman Kreuziger
    Michael Kukrle
    Zdeněk Štybar

Austria.
    Patrick Konrad
    Felix Großschartner
    Gregor Mühlbeger
    Lukas Pöstlberger
    Georg Preidler
    Michael Gogl

Germany.
    "Manny" Buchmann
    Max Schachmann
    Nico Denz
    Marcus Burghardt
    Simon Geschke
    Paul Martens

Switzerland.
    Mathias Frank (AG2R La Mondiale)
    Kilian Frankiny (BMC Racing Team)
    Steve Morabito (Groupama-FDJ) -notre photo-
    Sébastien Reichenbach (Groupama-FDJ)
    Michael Schär (BMC Racing Team)
    Patrick Schelling (Vorarlberg Santic)

Slovenia.
    Primoz Roglic
    Matej Mohoric
    Simon Spilak
    Luka Pibernik
    Jan Polanc
    Jan Tratnik
    Gregor Bole
    Domen Novak
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    Why did our GOAT not want to do this?
    he's knackered
  • Mad_Malx
    ^Been resting since the giro
  • What of Valverde or Wout Poels?

Hard to see past Alaphilpe imv but I don't know much about the strongest climbers when gradient is over 10%
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    inseine wrote:
    Mens Road Race

Porte has phoned in sick. No news of a replacement. No idea who will be leader. Haig?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • inseine
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Mens Road Race

Porte has phoned in sick. No news of a replacement. No idea who will be leader. Haig?
    Well it should be Mathews if there’s any justice
  • inseine wrote:

Simon Yates, Adam Yates, Ian Stannard, Connor Swift, Hugh Carthy, Pete Kennaugh, Tao Geoghagen Hart and James Knox. TGH and Alex Dowsett ride the TT

Dani Rowe, Hannah Barnes, Dani Christmas, Alice Cobb, Anna Henderson and Sophie Wright ride the RR.
    Hayley Simmonds and Alice Barnes ride the TT.

Strong men's team but nothing like as strong as it could have been.

Do any of the GB women have a realistic chance - haven't seen much womens racing on Eurosport this year.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Seems the strong riders have weak teams and the strong teams have no rider to finish it off with the likes of Gilbert still recovering from his crash (Bernal as well etc.)

Think Alaphilippe is the clear favourite, but no idea how strong the French team is. Kwiatkowski strong as well, but polish team is rather suspect. Spain is missing Landa to support Valverde, but might be the strongest team on paper.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Think Alaphilippe is the clear favourite, but no idea how strong the French team is.
    One of the strongest teams. Alaphilippe, Bardet, Gallopin, Geniez, Pinot, Molard, Roux and Rolland
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • My ill informed men's RR picks:

Valgren, Alaphilpe, Poels, Valverde, Martin (D), Kwiat, Roglic, Yates maybe. Is GvA remotely in for a chance?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Think Alaphilippe is the clear favourite, but no idea how strong the French team is.
    One of the strongest teams. Alaphilippe, Bardet, Gallopin, Geniez, Pinot, Molard, Roux and Rolland
    Oh true! Yeah it's his to lose.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Its a fairly strong collection of individuals. There's not a chance they'll ride as a unit. But I suspect that won't stop the commentators claiming that attempts to win the race for themselves by Pinot, Bardet etc are a ploy to put pressure on other teams.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    gsk82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Its a fairly strong collection of individuals. There's not a chance they'll ride as a unit. But I suspect that won't stop the commentators claiming that attempts to win the race for themselves by Pinot, Bardet etc are a ploy to put pressure on other teams.
    As long as they don't chase their own man down, with that team (which is a result of the riders they have available), surely it's a legitimate tactic to send guys up the road in the hope that something sticks, in the meantime allowing Alaphilippe to follow wheels? What would your instructions be if you were the French DS?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    DeadCalm wrote:
    As long as they don't chase their own man down, with that team (which is a result of the riders they have available), surely it's a legitimate tactic to send guys up the road in the hope that something sticks, in the meantime allowing Alaphilippe to follow wheels? What would your instructions be if you were the French DS?

Exactly that. Use Pinot and Bardet to attack in the closing 50 kms, with the rest keeping Alaphilippe protected and fresh for the final lap. This benefits the team as they don't have responsibility for chasing. If one of them stays away that's a good result, if it comes back together on the final lap, it should be all in for Alaphilippe.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,927
    Richie Porte out... respiratory infection.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Christ. When will the man catch a break.

Perfect position for the French to dominate? What better race to watch a tactical catastrophe. DS will never reign in egos or arrange a choreographed win.

If a French rider wins (which id love to see) I doubt it would be thanks to a DS