Worlds 2018 - SPOILERS

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited October 2018 in Pro race
Innsbruck has been confirmed as host.

http://road.cc/content/news/177375-inns ... mpionships

Comments

• Nice town
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Innsbruck-Tirol 2018@ibk_tirol2018
    Jun 6
    More
    Here we have the Men Elite Individual Time Trial leading from Rattenberg to Innsbruck with a highlight piece of 14% ascent.

● Distance: 52.5 km
    ● Elevation gain: 654 m
    ● When: Wed 26.09.2018
    ● Location: Rattenberg – Innsbruck

DfBAgZVVAAAI-0c.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Jun 6
    More
    Here we have the Men Elite Individual Time Trial leading from Rattenberg to Innsbruck with a highlight piece of 14% ascent.

They're enjoying sticking hills in there aren't they, not had a flat TT in a couple of years have we?
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Jun 6
    More

I would imagine this will involve a bike change, TT bike for the first 30km then jump on a Aero bike with clip-ons for the rest.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Jun 6
    More

I would imagine this will involve a bike change, TT bike for the first 30km then jump on a Aero bike with clip-ons for the rest.

Looks like around 5km at 7% average, with steeper ramps (up to 14%!). That should put it well into bike-swap territory, shouldn't it?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Parcours could very well open the door for Kwiatkowski, Bodnar, Roglic beyond Dumoulin. I'd expect Kwiatkowski to not race the TT though in favour of the RR. Froome will likely shut down after the Tour.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Parcours could very well open the door for Kwiatkowski, Bodnar, Roglic beyond Dumoulin. I'd expect Kwiatkowski to not race the TT though in favour of the RR. Froome will likely shut down after the Tour.

Thomas too maybe?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    M.R.M. wrote:
    If he's 'available' I can see Froome doing a lap of honour at the Tour of Britain and having a crack at that time trial. Maybe even doing a shift for Thomas/Yates in the road race.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    Pross wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Thomas too maybe?
    Wouldn't he be captain for GB at the RR, if he performs well at the Tour? Would expect him to go the Kwiatkowski route and not ride the TT. Otherwise definitely!

Will Froome be able to keep form for that long? I'm sceptical hippo on that one.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Thomas too maybe?
    Wouldn't he be captain for GB at the RR, if he performs well at the Tour? Would expect him to go the Kwiatkowski route and not ride the TT. Otherwise definitely!

Will Froome be able to keep form for that long? I'm sceptical hippo on that one.

Maybe but I'd hope that Adam and Simon would be unleashed on the worlds too, I'd favour them over Thomas if we're seeing races with this steepness
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Surely Froome will see this as his opportunity to add the rainbow bands to his collection?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Surely Froome will see this as his opportunity to add the rainbow bands to his collection?

His highest placement in a top 1 dayer was 12th in Rio.
    All others he has done he's been way out of the top 20, and usually outside the top 80.

Froome ain't a one day racer.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Dorset Boy wrote:

He may do but has he shown enough in one day racing to earn team leadership against the likes of the Yates brothers ? Maybe we go into it with several cards to play rather than the usual all for one.

Edit - basically what rick said
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I thought Dorset Boy was referring to the TT when he said Froome would see it as an opportunity to add the rainbow bands to his collection.
  • rick_chasey
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I thought Dorset Boy was referring to the TT when he said Froome would see it as an opportunity to add the rainbow bands to his collection.

Meh.

It’s the road one that carries the A list cachet
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I don't see that Froome could still be on top form come September.

He might get another TT medal I suppose.

You would have thought Adam Yates would be a good pick.
  • rick_chasey
    Nibz or Valverde, no?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Be interesting if Froome won the Tour how keen he would be in going for the Triple Crown.

Even though I give Froome little chance of beating the classics riders, he won't get a better chance of winning the Worlds.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Nibz or Valverde, no?
    Yeah, I was talking about for GB
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    The road profile looks like a Toberlone

Seem like it uses the same roads as the TT for the preamble.

2018roadracesprofile.png&q=82

Interesting to see how much time the break is allowed before that climb at 60k?
    I reckon there'll be 2 breaks.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    The road profile looks like a Toberlone

Seem like it uses the same roads as the TT for the preamble.

2018roadracesprofile.png&q=82

Interesting to see how much time the break is allowed before that climb at 60k?
    I reckon there'll be 2 breaks.

One of those crappy new Toblerones with a big gap between the peaks though. An old school Toblerone would have been even more interesting!
  • rick_chasey
    Seriously exciting stuff this route.

Really quite excited.

pretty close to the due date of Mini-Chasey however, so will likely miss it entirely.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Richie Porte doing some course reconnaissance

DFIBPNDWAAAVZBZ.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Seriously exciting stuff this route.

Really quite excited.

pretty close to the due date of Mini-Chasey however, so will likely miss it entirely.

Congratulations. I believe forum etiquette is to name babies after the winning cyclist on the day e.g. Peter The Boy. So you may need to consider Vincenzo Chasey
  • m.r.m.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Richie Porte doing some course reconnaissance

DFIBPNDWAAAVZBZ.jpg
    That Toblerone is to scale.
  • m.r.m.
    Definitely think it's Nibz or Valverde's to lose. Maybe last chance saloon for the eternal Valverde. Would expect him to go proper balls to the walls.
  • rick_chasey
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Definitely think it's Nibz or Valverde's to lose. Maybe last chance saloon for the eternal Valverde. Would expect him to go proper balls to the walls.

You mean, stick with the group of favourites and sprint?
  • m.r.m.
    While that is the Valverde way, maybe this is his last shot and he will risk more.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    the descent over the last climb and flat finish indicates it might not go that way. when valverde pulls earlier than he expects to he doesn't then have the finish (this years Liege for example). so expect him to be the cagey guy he normally is.
  • Pross
    M.R.M. wrote:

Alaphillipe, Kwia and maybe Moscon might have something to say about that. Too tough for Sagan?