Show us your Supersix Evo's

Comments

• diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 721
    I have lowered mine and put spacer above the stem. I am going to leave the spacer until I am sure the new position is comfortable.

However.... I am actually finding the low front more comfortable and would like to go lower. I am stopped from doing this now because of the height of the conical spacer that covers the headset. On my CAAD I removed this and found a flat replacement.Does anyone know of something like this that would allow me to "slam" the stem simply on the EVO?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    peppern123 wrote:
    The manual says no spacers above the stem? Or is it ok to do that?

It's ok as long as it's temporary and they are not excessively stacked. It's not a good idea to cut the steerer without tweaking and figuring out the final position, because once it's been cut you can never go back. So ignore the manuel here.

Find the position you like, then cut. It can be a good idea to leave a 5mm or 10mm spacer above the stem permanently in case you ever want to sell the frame on.

5,10mm above stem is fine. 20mm,30mm,40mm looks silly. If the are stacked too high. The headset bung/expander inside the steerer tube will not provide any support at the area where the stem is clamped.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Does it need to?
    Seat posts do not have any internal support and they are under more pressure I would have thought?

Why is it safe to ride while you try out the new position, but not long term?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    My 2017 hi-mod. Kitted out with:

52cm Supersix Hi Mod
    Dura Ace 9000 - Cannondale Si Chainset with 52/36 spiderings
    Zipp 202 Clinchers
    Schwalbe One Tyres & Vittoria latex tubes
    Sworks Romin Evo Saddle
    Cannondale Save Seatpost
    Deda Superzero Stem
    Deda Superleggero Bars
    Cannondale carbon bottle cages
    Look Blade Carbon Ti Pedals

6.6kg All in. Such a great bike to ride. Pictures do not do the paint scheme justice. There are subtle bits of chrome on the chainstays and forks and flecks in the black which sparkle in the sun :)

DSC00570.jpg

Very nice!

Just not a fan of those Si chainsets, but otherwise lovely
    left the forum March 2023
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Carbonator wrote:
    Does it need to?
    Seat posts do not have any internal support and they are under more pressure I would have thought?

Are you saying it's not safe at all ? or totally safe with a high stack of spacers ? or are you just asking pointless questions ? Why does the manual state no spacers ?

I outlined in my previous post why. Some support at the stem area is better than none. Will the steerer crack instantly without support ? No. But if you can support it better with a lower stack of spacers (or no spacers). Why not do that ? i'd trust a steerer slightly more with some support than none. Wouldn't you ? a big stack of spacers will effect that support, and they also look dumb. Especially on a SS. Why would you want to keep a big stack of spacers long term ?

Seatpost's dont need any internal support. Simply because..
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    trailflow wrote:
    peppern123 wrote:
    The manual says no spacers above the stem? Or is it ok to do that?

It's ok as long as it's temporary and they are not excessively stacked. It's not a good idea to cut the steerer without tweaking and figuring out the final position, because once it's been cut you can never go back. So ignore the manuel here.

Find the position you like, then cut. It can be a good idea to leave a 5mm or 10mm spacer above the stem permanently in case you ever want to sell the frame on.

5,10mm above stem is fine. 20mm,30mm,40mm looks silly. If the are stacked too high. The headset bung/expander inside the steerer tube will not provide any support at the area where the stem is clamped.

Deep bungs/expanders are easy to find, but yes, protrusions above stem are ungainly.
  • Anonymous
    trailflow wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Does it need to?

Are you saying it's not safe at all ? or totally safe with a high stack of spacers ? or are you just asking pointless questions ? Why does the manual state no spacers ?

I outlined in my previous post why. Some support at the stem area is better than none. Will the steerer crack instantly without support ? No. But if you can support it better with a lower stack of spacers (or no spacers). Why not do that ? i'd trust a steerer slightly more with some support than none. Wouldn't you ? a big stack of spacers will effect that support, and they also look dumb. Especially on a SS. Why would you want to keep a big stack of spacers long term ?

Seatpost's dont need any internal support. Simply because..

Guess I am saying I think its safe.
    I will check just what actually is supported in mine.

Manuals lol, who reads those?
    They are often misleading anyway. Who tightens their Fizik carbon railed saddle to what it says in the little booklet? :shock:
    If the reason it says it is because of support, then it seems a dumb obmission not to state that.

Have heard it said that lots of (stupid looking) spacers above stem were a physical safety issue if you crash

Just dragging my heels in getting around to cutting it off I guess.
    Have not really been consistently using the bike that needs it cutting that much, and although it looks silly, I don't really give a damn just now.

I think slammed stems with bugger all saddle to bar drop look sillier though.
  • thehighroad
    thehighroad Posts: 57

52cm Supersix Hi Mod
    Zipp 202 Clinchers
    Sworks Romin Evo Saddle
    Cannondale Save Seatpost
    Deda Superzero Stem
    Deda Superleggero Bars

6.6kg All in. Such a great bike to ride. Pictures do not do the paint scheme justice. There are subtle bits of chrome on the chainstays and forks and flecks in the black which sparkle in the sun :)

DSC00570.jpg

Very nice!

Cheers, guess it's down to taste, I think they look better than the DA9000 chainset that I initially built it up with.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Just spotted this thread for Supersixes and thought I'd post mine.

Supersix_-_Copy.jpg
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Wow !
    That looks like it weighs less than Montgomery Burns :shock:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Galatzo wrote:
    Wow !
    That looks like it weighs less than Montgomery Burns :shock:

500g of stem spacers
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    SRC1 wrote:

Supersix_-_Copy.jpg

Are they Enve wheels?
  • Anonymous

52cm Supersix Hi Mod
    Zipp 202 Clinchers
    Sworks Romin Evo Saddle
    Cannondale Save Seatpost
    Deda Superzero Stem
    Deda Superleggero Bars

DSC00570.jpg

Very nice!

Cheers, guess it's down to taste, I think they look better than the DA9000 chainset that I initially built it up with.

Same here ;)
  • src1
    Carbonator wrote:
    SRC1 wrote:

Supersix_-_Copy.jpg

Are they Enve wheels?

No, they're Light Bicycle 45mm Carbon clincher rims on Tune hubs. I bought them without stickers then fancied adding stickers to brighten up the bike.

Bike weighs about 6.5kg and has 1cm of spacers above the top cap.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Carbonator wrote:
    Has anyone fitted an Enve seatpost?
    Anyone else do a 25.4mm (or whatever it is) carbon seatpost?

Funnily enough I checked into this a while ago after I looked at specs and figured the 105 model that I have an eye on comes with the alloy post...This site looks pretty good and shows that the FSA SLK one looks to be a good VFM match although I really wanted a 25mm setback.

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/254mm- ... _1507.html

It is an American site but cannot see why there would be a problem given the use of the Cannondale name.

Thing is, the specs have changed now anyway so even the Ultegra comes with an alloy post which does seem to be a bit penny pinching on a model of that calibre. Cannot understand why the C2 has been changed to the C3 apart from money?
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Bobbinogs.

Just remembered the reason I wanted the Enve was because the saddle I want to use has oversized carbon 7x10 rails which I think Enve do specific 'ears' for.

I have a Fizik R1 on another bike that also has oval carbon rails (not sure what dimensions). Its mounted on a normally clamped seatpost and I am confused if this is safe.

The Bontrager saddle with 7x10 rails warns of death if not mounted on suitable clamp (from side, not top I am guessing).

Other guys on here must have an R1. Did you mount on a standard clamp?

Am not even fussed about carbon seatpost for Bontrager saddle now. Jusy want it on bike.
    Anyone know of a 25.4mm side clamping alloy seat post that will fit 7x10 rails?
  • Anonymous
    SRC1 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    SRC1 wrote:

Supersix_-_Copy.jpg

Are they Enve wheels?

No, they're Light Bicycle 45mm Carbon clincher rims on Tune hubs. I bought them without stickers then fancied adding stickers to brighten up the bike.

Bike weighs about 6.5kg and has 1cm of spacers above the top cap.

Wow, Chapeau on your front and honesty :wink:

Does not look right even if they were Enve wheels (which I thought they were) IMO.
    Am not into stealth bikes, but would dark stickers not have been better? Especially if faking it?

Each to their own though.
    Bike tarting is an art not many seem to master :evil:
  • src1
    Carbonator wrote:
    Wow, Chapeau on your front and honesty :wink:

Does not look right even if they were Enve wheels (which I thought they were) IMO.
    Am not into stealth bikes, but would dark stickers not have been better? Especially if faking it?

Each to their own though.
    Bike tarting is an art not many seem to master :evil:

I wanted to de-stealth the bike a bit. Those were just some stickers I found on eBay, I think I'd actually be happier with the original decals tbh as no need to fake it, the LB rims are very good!

Obvs. bike tarting is in the eye of the beholder, but black stickers would not have had the effect of de-stealthing that I was after.
  • Anonymous
    Appreciate that.

Yours is not really 'tarted'.
    Think you have invented the new genre of 'De Stealthing'
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    Just a quick update on a new wheelset I've been buying, original bike build thread here :-

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13042198&start=140#p19813209

Bike was completed with Mavic Cosmic SLE's and 25c Conti GP4000 tyres, looks really nice I thought but I was always aware that the Cosmics were not the lightest wheelset out there

IMG_0700.jpg

Bike with this wheelset weighs in at Just over 7.2kgs

So I pushed the button on a set of Mavic Kysyrium Pro Exalith SL's, complete with the Mavic Yksion tyres, for a lighter set of climbing wheels.

IMG_2011.jpg

Bike now weighs in at 6.9kgs, so you can notice a difference in overall weight.

I also fitted these wheels with the new size 11-30 Dura-Ace cassette, despite being a little dubious as to whether the rear mech would cope with the bigger sprocket, it works just fine and gives me an extra "bail out gear" for the big hills.
    Only had two rides on them , but the biggest advantage I've noticed so far is that the bike handles much better in gusty wind conditions, the Cosmics tended to catch a lot of sidewinds, felt as though someone else was steering the bike and got a bit tiring constantly correcting the steering.
    The rear wheel in particular is very light by comparison, with the carbon spokes on the non drive side.

Speed / acceleration wise, I can't seem to notice much difference at the moment, but one big advantage is that I can swap wheels in no time as they both have the Exalith brake track and I don't need to swap pads about, also luckily the rear mech needed no adjustment from one set of wheels to the other.

Time will tell how useful they are!
  • Well the SS evo is probably the less aero bike you can get, so may as well go for lightweight and climbing wheels
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Poucher wrote:

That's about a 4% reduction in weight. I am left wondering why I cannot feel such minor differences in a bike. Maybe I am lucky :)
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Poucher wrote:

That's about a 4% reduction in weight. I am left wondering why I cannot feel such minor differences in a bike. Maybe I am lucky :)

300 grms or 10 ounces, I think anyone picking the bike up would feel that difference ??

Maybe you are Lucky, Maybe you are not... :roll:
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    Not enough Supersix photos!!!

35669292294_4daf2d620a_c.jpg20170801_072154-01 by Ian Gate, on Flickr
  • The old girl, still my favourite colour scheme.
    35726564023_6a4e6b5c4b.jpg
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Fypo
    Fypo Posts: 24
    Kinda old photo but here is mine, the steerer has been cut now before anyone says anything
    LKSwjZU.jpg
  • Fypo wrote:
    Kinda old photo but here is mine, the steerer has been cut now before anyone says anything
    LKSwjZU.jpg

Weird to see a SS with alloy clinchers :lol:
  • Fypo
    Fypo Posts: 24
    Weird to see a SS with alloy clinchers :lol:

They're the stock wheels and are awful, and it does look quite weird, I'd love to get new wheels but my student budget isn't going to let me afford new wheels anytime soon so I'll have to put up with it for now.
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    Fypo wrote:
    LKSwjZU.jpg

Great choice!

First thing i did was swap the wheels out as the standard items were truly awful.
  • e30matt
    e30matt Posts: 24
    I managed to get a deal on this 2017 SuperSix Evo Hi Mod disc
    that was too good to turn down imo, so thought it would be rude
    not to add it to the collection.

n9Avyb.jpg

REyqfO.jpg

p8TokA.jpg

DtcYY8.jpg

Since buying it the bars and stem have been changed for Deda Superlaggera and the saddle for a carbon Fizik item. I decided to cover up the silver stripes on the headtube as they weren't to my liking. Wheels will be next on the list.

Thanks,

Matt.