Donald Trump

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,613
    edited August 2023
    The latest election rigging charges in Georgia are reported to be a bit more problematic for Trump, including the point that he can't pardon himself if convicted on those charges (unlike the other three sets of cases which are Federal):
    https://telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/15/trump-pardon-power-georgia-racketeering-charges-president/
    It's also interesting that they invoked the RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organisations) laws for this one, which are usually used to take down mobsters/organised crime etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,923
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13113861/joe-biden/p14
    How many pages worth of entertainment has the Joe Biden given you all?

Fourteen pages, that's it!

I rest my case at 523!
  • focuszing723
    No, Trump was a great contribution to the simulation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Pross said:

He’s actually standing in front of his base telling them he wants more indictments as his popularity rises with each.

I do think there’s a danger that some of the charges being used are stretching the definition of the crime being used and it can end up looking like just finding an excuse to charge him.

This is the problem isn't it. Is it possible to be politically popular enough (however inexplicably) that the law no longer applies? And how do you approach that as an opponent?

Similar to Johnson, is it ok to tell lies if you tell enough of them..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723

He's even stooped to action comedy for content.
  • focuszing723

Blatant for post count.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    Stevo_666 said:

The latest election rigging charges in Georgia are reported to be a bit more problematic for Trump, including the point that he can't pardon himself if convicted on those charges (unlike the other three sets of cases which are Federal):
    https://telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/15/trump-pardon-power-georgia-racketeering-charges-president/
    It's also interesting that they invoked the RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organisations) laws for this one, which are usually used to take down mobsters/organised crime etc.

Well it was certainly an organisation and appeared to be corrupt. They've used RICO because its the best way to place blame of the actions of an organisation on the person making the orders, rather than only the people carrying them out.

Getting other people to take the blame for his actions is his speciality.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    The older I get the more I think humans are stupid.

Chances of a 21st century reprise of a USAnian civil war?
  • focuszing723
    orraloon said:

Look, just forget about that campervan now, move on.
  • Stevo_666

orraloon said:

Look, just forget about that campervan now, move on.
    :smiley:

What did they write on the side of it? 'Och Aye, you'll be free! (unlike this camper van which cost over £100k)' or something like that?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Stevo_666 said:

Consensus seems to be this latest one is hard to prosecute successfully
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Is that because they need to prove intent or something similar?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    The only problem is that if the Republican party think that if any of the sh1t sticks, they might be left with a lame duck and a last minute candidate with no momentum to try and win a presidential election.
    No candidate is going to live up to the razzamatazz bollox spouting Tango man for the loyal followers.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think because the RICO law thing is a stretch,
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

The only problem is that if the Republican party think that if any of the censored sticks, they might be left with a lame duck and a last minute candidate with no momentum to try and win a presidential election.
    No candidate is going to live up to the razzamatazz bollox spouting Tango man for the loyal followers.

Of the 90something charges he has against him, not many are unpardonable.

The outcome will likely be pushed out into betond the election and then it doesn’t matter anyway.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    edited August 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s the point I was trying to make up thread. It feels that what he did should have been illegal but that they have had to fudge a charge to bring against him as there was no obvious law to use.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s the point I was trying to make up thread. It feels that what he did should have been illegal that they have had to fudge a charge to bring against him as there was no obvious law to use.
    Pretty much. I do think the means to the end are provable though.

Jury system though so who knows
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That’s the point I was trying to make up thread. It feels that what he did should have been illegal that they have had to fudge a charge to bring against him as there was no obvious law to use.
    Pretty much. I do think the means to the end are provable though.

Jury system though so who knows
    I suspect is it more like the way that police 'misuse' powers in the UK, in that the law was drafted in such a way as to encompass what it is now being used for, despite any original intentions (or as in the UK, usually, warnings).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

the rico charge pulls together many of the actions and people in involved in trump's attempts to illegally overturn the result of the election in ga

if you look at the indictment it's pretty comprehensive, trump wasn't alone, many others acted with him, the prosecutors have a lot of direct evidence
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2023
    Sure. As FA says it’s been used for lots of things that it was never intended for.

As pross says there isn’t actually a law designed to prevent what trump did. Just was never expected.

It’s a jury system so all bets are off tbh.

• First.Aspect

Sure. As FA says it’s been used for lots of things that it was never intended for.

As pross says there isn’t actually a law designed to prevent what trump did. Just was never expected.

Yup, and if he is not found guilty he will say I told you so, and if he is he will cry foul over the makeup of the jury.

I mean who are they going to find who would risk their life being a juror on this, anyway?
  • rick_chasey

Yup, and if he is not found guilty he will say I told you so, and if he is he will cry foul over the makeup of the jury.

I mean who are they going to find who would risk their life being a juror on this, anyway?
    Trump mentalists obviously
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    It's a sad state of affairs when the simple truth is that Jury Selection will be more important than the actual truth of any case.

Trying to find 12 people who honestly are ambivalent about Trump is going to be impossible.
  • First.Aspect
    edited August 2023
    They could find 12 survivalists who haven't seen a TV in 8 years, I reckon. They'd likely be Republicans, but consider Donald Trump to be a sick conspiracy dreamt up by one or other of the Democrats or the alien lizard people who are really behind it all.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Apparently he gets weighed as part of the arrest. There's a betting market formed.
  • rick_chasey

Apparently he gets weighed as part of the arrest. There's a betting market formed.

Link to the market please.

Nearest we're gonna get to the emperor's nose IRL.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Link to the market please.

Nearest we're gonna get to the emperor's nose IRL.
    It was on here https://www.betonline.ag/news-room/politics/trump-indictment-odds/

But I think they set it way low at 278.5 lbs so pulled it already.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    Mad as a box of frogs.
    Can't spell either, even with auto spell.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.