Donald Trump

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Take your pick (though I agree it ought to be a lot more clear-cut than either)

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

Oh dear

I'm surprised Biden is considering it as I always thought it was a one shot deal.
    I suppose it's hard to let go. Could be a massive mistake, on a worldwide scale.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I'm not an oldest or anything and I really like listening to people with experience of life, but.

But

But
    u
    t

B U T
    U
    T

Biden is 80 and Trump is 77! It's a technological age with punch card candidates/president's.

Humanity needs better.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    pblakeney said:

Oh dear

I'm surprised Biden is considering it as I always thought it was a one shot deal.
    I suppose it's hard to let go. Could be a massive mistake, on a worldwide scale.
    Kamala Harris hasn't stepped up/ been allowed to step up or been able to step up. I'm not sure which.

So you're left with Biden. Who was too infirm 4 years ago, let alone for the next time round.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535
    I like the way that Kennedy steals the conspiracy theory vote from Trump.
  • briantrumpet

I like the way that Kennedy steals the conspiracy theory vote from Trump.

The suspicion is that he'll drop out late in the game, and the bulk of those then go to Trump. Maybe he's just there to make Trump look sane.

But really, what a choice, three old white men, two really too old for the job, and at least one of them a complete and utter nutter.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Oh dear

Kamala Harris hasn't stepped up/ been allowed to step up or been able to step up. I'm not sure which.

So you're left with Biden. Who was too infirm 4 years ago, let alone for the next time round.
    I can understand Biden wanting to hang on.
    I don't understand the Democrats thinking he is the best person for the job.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Oh dear

I heard Harris mentioned a few days ago and was thinking it was the first time I could remember hearing her name since the election. It would be interesting to know if this is just that she isn't very visible on an international level but still active in the US, if not is that because she is lazy / not very good or being kept in the background by the Party. Whilst Biden at least seems sane there have been several instances where he comes across as just too doddery to hold arguably the most important position in the world. Trump getting another go really worries me though as he seems toget more deranged every day, last time I think it started as an act to get a certain vote on side but now I think he is genuinely dangerous.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    VP seems to be something of a dead end job, generally. Other than Biden, Google tells me the only VP to go on to be president is Nixon.
  • First.Aspect

VP seems to be something of a dead end job, generally. Other than Biden, Google tells me the only VP to go on to be president is Nixon.

Sorry Bush senior and then two people from the 1800s.

So about 10%.
  • VP seems to be something of a dead end job, generally. Other than Biden, Google tells me the only VP to go on to be president is Nixon.

Sorry Bush senior and then two people from the 1800s.

So about 10%.
    You're missing Johnson, Ford, Truman, Coolidge and Teddy Roosevelt, all in the 20th century.
  • First.Aspect
    20%
  • Tyler, Fillmore, Johnson and Arthur also acceded to the presidency (rather than being elected).

Then you've got the 6 who've been elected.

That's 15 out of 48 (excluding Harris) which isn't bad odds. I'd rate her chances as above average of becoming the 16th out of 49 if Biden goes for another term.
  • First.Aspect
    If he gets a second term, her odds of ascending to the presidency without being elected are comparatively high.

In a system dominated by rich, old, white males this seems to be also her best chance of showing the electorate that is used to rich old white males that she can actually do the job.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608
    Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Oh dear

Agree, Biden is looking doddery. They should let someone else have a go, question is who?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Oh dear

Agree, Biden is looking doddery. They should let someone else have a go, question is who?

It does seem to be a system which doesn't favour younger talent rising to the top, though I suppose that Clinton and Obama would be counter examples, though I think both struggled with the ridiculously complicated system of Congress, which, to be fair to Biden, he's managed to navigate pretty well. In his case, 50 years of experience has taught him a thing or two about how to work the system.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Oh dear

It does seem to be a system which doesn't favour younger talent rising to the top, though I suppose that Clinton and Obama would be counter examples, though I think both struggled with the ridiculously complicated system of Congress, which, to be fair to Biden, he's managed to navigate pretty well. In his case, 50 years of experience has taught him a thing or two about how to work the system.
    Experience clearly counts for a fair bit in this case, but there comes a time when there is a trade off with age and I think Biden is at that point now, or maybe even a bit past it. That said, if he is the Democrats best chance of keeping Trump out of the White House then let him go for it and he can always retire part way through. That said, not sure how anyone can be sure whether he is their best chance.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Oh dear

Experience clearly counts for a fair bit in this case, but there comes a time when there is a trade off with age and I think Biden is at that point now, or maybe even a bit past it. That said, if he is the Democrats best chance of keeping Trump out of the White House then let him go for it and he can always retire part way through. That said, not sure how anyone can be sure whether he is their best chance.

Yup to all of that.
  • briantrumpet
    Seems like the opinion polls might have been misleading. A good night for the Dems. The advantage for them is that Trump and abortion appear to encourage lots of people opposed to Trumpism and anti-abortionists to turn out and vote.

• pinno
    I wonder how many women are turning out in force on this issue:

In California, Proposition 1 passed, which guarantees the constitutional right to reproductive freedom “in their most intimate decisions,” including the right to abortion and contraceptives.
    In Kentucky, Constitutional Amendment 2 failed, which would have amended the state constitution to say there is no right to abortion, or any requirement to fund abortion.
    Michigan’s Proposal 3 passed, which will create a state constitutional right to reproductive freedom, including decisions “about all matters relating to pregnancy,” including abortion and contraception.
    In Montana, voters rejected Legislative Referendum 131, which would have subjected healthcare providers who do not make every effort to save the life of an infant “born during an attempted abortion,” to civil penalties and up to 20 years of jail time.
    In Vermont, Proposal 5 passed, which creates a constitutional right to personal reproductive autonomy.
    In Kansas’ primary elections in August, 59 percent of voters cast ballots against a proposed amendment explicitly stating that nothing in the state constitution creates a right to abortion or requires government funding for abortion, and that the legislature has the authority to restrict abortion.

I guess Kansas was a weak link.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

I wonder how many women are turning out in force on this issue:

In California, Proposition 1 passed, which guarantees the constitutional right to reproductive freedom “in their most intimate decisions,” including the right to abortion and contraceptives.
    In Kentucky, Constitutional Amendment 2 failed, which would have amended the state constitution to say there is no right to abortion, or any requirement to fund abortion.
    Michigan’s Proposal 3 passed, which will create a state constitutional right to reproductive freedom, including decisions “about all matters relating to pregnancy,” including abortion and contraception.
    In Montana, voters rejected Legislative Referendum 131, which would have subjected healthcare providers who do not make every effort to save the life of an infant “born during an attempted abortion,” to civil penalties and up to 20 years of jail time.
    In Vermont, Proposal 5 passed, which creates a constitutional right to personal reproductive autonomy.
    In Kansas’ primary elections in August, 59 percent of voters cast ballots against a proposed amendment explicitly stating that nothing in the state constitution creates a right to abortion or requires government funding for abortion, and that the legislature has the authority to restrict abortion.

I guess Kansas was a weak link.

Eh? I think you've got your negatives mixed up - in Kansas they voted against an amendment saying that there was no right to abortion in Kansas. It was a clean sweep for women's right to determine what happens to their own bodies.

Now it's turned toxic for Republicans in individual states (the issue having been tossed back to them by the Republican-controlled Supreme Court), some Republican voices (e.g. JD Vance) are saying it should be a Federal decision. They aren't twigging that forcing 12 year-olds to give birth to rapists' babies isn't a great vote winner.

• pinno

Eh? I think you've got your negatives mixed up...

Nothing new there.
  • briantrumpet
    There are several very conservative commentators who fear for the USA as a democracy if Trump gets elected.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655

There are several very conservative commentators who fear for the USA as a democracy if Trump gets elected.

More concerned for the UK and Europe and the rest of the world tbf.

They can f&ck themselves up but they’re easily the worlds bigger superpower.

Our bill for supporting Ukraine would get considerably bigger as a mere example
  • briantrumpet

Well yes... would kinda follow on from Trump effectively turning it into a dictatorship (and from what he's suggesting, I don't think that's hyperbolic in the least).
  • Stevo_666

Well yes... would kinda follow on from Trump effectively turning it into a dictatorship (and from what he's suggesting, I don't think that's hyperbolic in the least).
    Interesting article here which is quite concerning (in line with what you say above about a Trump dictatorship), but also offers some cause for optimism at the end:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/19/trump-presidency-means-world-biden-election-2024/