Donald Trump

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    edited June 2023

I'm not sure that Trump…is necessarily terribly sensible.

FTFY 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    edited July 2023
    Another incoming indictment. For Jan 6th. It's rather perplexing that his 'base' now seems to think that the more indictments the better... but, hey ho, the ride could be a little crazy.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    The state of that opening sentence.

I also love the way he implies a level of corruption in poilitically appointed lawyers as though he didn't do such a thing when in power.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

I also love the way he implies a level of corruption in poilitically appointed lawyers as though he didn't do such a thing when in power.

I still find it an utterly bizarre system where judges and legal officials are appointed specifically because of their overt political leanings and party affiliation... the shenanigans of the Supreme Court seem to be an almost overt attempt to stymie democracy.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660

Pross said:

I still find it an utterly bizarre system where judges and legal officials are appointed specifically because of their overt political leanings and party affiliation... the shenanigans of the Supreme Court seem to be an almost overt attempt to stymie democracy.
    Does stop the “enemies of the people” headlines
  • rick_chasey
    US justice is bloody slow, hurry the f*ck up, he'll be in an election soon and then there will be too much political pressure to run them while he's running for president.

Christ alive guys.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700

US justice is bloody slow, hurry the f*ck up, he'll be in an election soon and then there will be too much political pressure to run them while he's running for president.

Christ alive guys.

Well it is all a Democrat plan to make sure he is the GOP nominee, right? And then all these Democratic institutions, such as Trump-appointed judges, will then conspire to schedule court cases during the election campaign. This is obvious, and I heard a Republican in the UK representative explain it on the radio this morning.
  • pblakeney

Christ alive guys.

That has been his claim from the start, it is political.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

Christ alive guys.

Didn't he want it all delayed?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Christ alive guys.

Deferred I'd think.
    That said it all plays into his hand unless convicted.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Christ alive guys.

Deferred I'd think.
    That said it all plays into his hand unless convicted.
    It playa with his base, but the Democrats will assess that the high water mark is every single idiot in the country, which is fewer votes than he needs to win.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Christ alive guys.

The entire US criminal system is indeed political. That's entirely baked into it. Judges are ultimately chosen by....political appointees.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    trump's maga base have drunk the kool-aid for so long, hard to see how that changes, they don't see him as a lying, fraudster, groper and serial failure, bailed out by daddy's money

on the plus side, his legal costs are through the roof, he's also funding others, presumably to stop them entering into plea bargains in return for giving evidence

looks like he'll get the gop nomination no matter what...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/31/upshot/poll-trump-republican-primary.html?unlocked_article_code=vQp6zeuVMQHfNYBhuQYzIL2m9RymMywaXI5cmr70DOe_k6yeCYL0S21xDV0SwIDvCtCLPP-MubH6rts-luahlQdELTiJrL9bca1CRj7tdbLkWmLs_Huyx1j8aArWraJCJg0Rn6RRSISl25igG1laYcQjc2UtFCtT7VAOtA2oPyeaSSJ0M9j46PKWnRLMjQWPRJVffNLIOdeAj6KRW5MQORGLH8lXMQpbErCaapZx0QmeqMukHbP3EZ8UyCA6lwSVHuoKjq5SdMrFzMBYMxzdm6S1I9Uw6QVrUwtomr802A9t-_QTpvQwjMOAy164QnLz52H1vSighvGk6YF2VpNeslDm7mPEzw&smid=url-share
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    I suppose this is all stress testing the US Constitution: the Founders didn't ever imagine someone as base and dishonest as Trump ever being elected.

I genuinely can't see how this all plays out...Trump would rather take the whole house down than admit he's been a conman all his life.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure the founders did. That's why they did the whole gun thing.
  • Pross
    With every indictment his popularity grows, it all plays into the narrative that he is fighting the establishment. Unless he ends up in prison first I can see him being President again next time around. It's totally bizarre how he manages to fool so many people, I guess most of them want to be fooled though.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

With every indictment his popularity grows, it all plays into the narrative that he is fighting the establishment. Unless he ends up in prison first I can see him being President again next time around. It's totally bizarre how he manages to fool so many people, I guess most of them want to be fooled though.

No, he won't, because his glass ceiling is all the idiots, not the democrat or independent swing voters. He will even suppress the embarrased republican vote.

Whether there will be widespread civil unrest as a result of another election loss is less clear.
  • rick_chasey
    Economist saying what we all probably deep down know.

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2023/08/02/only-politics-not-the-law-can-stop-donald-trump

Only politics, not the law, can stop Donald Trump

His lies will otherwise remain an effective political and legal tool
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,614
    Pross said:

There was actually a serious discussion on one of the news channels last night raising the point about whether he could technically govern from behind bars.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,028
    He can pardon himself if he gets elected. However to do that he must admit his guilt. This apparently was the case with Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.

From wiki.
    After Ford left the White House in 1977, he privately justified his pardon of Nixon by carrying in his wallet a portion of the text of Burdick v. United States, a 1915 U.S. Supreme Court case where the dictum stated that a pardon carries an imputation of guilt and that its acceptance carries a confession of guilt.[4][5]
  • Stevo_666

He can pardon himself if he gets elected. However to do that he must admit his guilt. This apparently was the case with Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.

From wiki.
    After Ford left the White House in 1977, he privately justified his pardon of Nixon by carrying in his wallet a portion of the text of Burdick v. United States, a 1915 U.S. Supreme Court case where the dictum stated that a pardon carries an imputation of guilt and that its acceptance carries a confession of guilt.[4][5]

True, but if he is behind bars when he gets elected, the guilt bit will already have been decided.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

From wiki.

True, but if he is behind bars when he gets elected, the guilt bit will already have been decided.
  • secretsqirrel
    Would he ever be able to fess up tho’. On past form I would say he is incapable.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

Would he ever be able to fess up tho’. On past form I would say he is incapable.

Maybe that would prove his downfall. Double jeopardy.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • secretsqirrel
    Its quite a delicious scenario. He either persists with being a victim achieving MAGA immortality whilst rotting in jail, or he comes clean to gets out only to face a bunch of deeply hurt and disappointed disciples.

Meanwhile the MAGA are claiming that the special council are seeking the death penalty. They’re not.
  • Pross
    They should
  • secretsqirrel
    edited August 2023
    Pross said:

They should

Poetic justice, given his views on the death penalty. However, don’t fancy all that icky false martyrdom.