Donald Trump

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160

Pross said:

They should

Poetic justice, given his views on the death penalty. However, don’t fancy all that icky false martyrdom.

But he'd be dead and the world would be a better place for it. They'd soon forget him.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,028
    Pross said:

Pross said:

They should

Poetic justice, given his views on the death penalty. However, don’t fancy all that icky false martyrdom.

But he'd be dead and the world would be a better place for it. They'd soon forget him.
    Well he can’t be long for this world anyway, hopefully after he was gone his odious family will scatter and run for the hills.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    Pross said:

They should

Unfortunately he would also have to be found guilty of another serious crime, like murder, for the death penalty to be applied. Currently facing 10 years maximum.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    Lot of wishful thinking going on. Best outcome is he loses the election and has an unfortunate case of congestive heart failure before the next one.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Surely those NFTs he sold must be illegal somehow too.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Jeez this woman on C4 News is scary. KGM giving her a good going over.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    And less than 24 hours after Trump was warned, as a condition of his bail, not to threaten witnesses or officers of the court...

And the judge is not a Trumpist...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Reality is, the election will determine what happens, not the law.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393

Yes, will Trump actually be convicted of any of the many offences within the next few months?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659

Yes, will Trump actually be convicted of any of the many offences within the next few months?
    Other than the impact on the election, does it even matter?

You can run for president behind bars and you can pardon yourself if you become president.

According to the economist, they likely won't finish them before the election anyway.
  • briantrumpet
    Competing theories as to why Trump is blatantly disregarding the order about posting social media threats etc... either that he really really can't help himself or he's deliberately taunting the judge, so he either gets away with it (and thereby knows he can pretty much do anything), or he gets jailed, in which case he's even more of a martyr in his loony supporters' eyes.
  • briantrumpet
    Next tranche of Trump indictments, this time in Georgia. They've got until next Friday to surrender for arrest.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    He’s actually standing in front of his base telling them he wants more indictments as his popularity rises with each.

I do think there’s a danger that some of the charges being used are stretching the definition of the crime being used and it can end up looking like just finding an excuse to charge him.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

He’s actually standing in front of his base telling them he wants more indictments as his popularity rises with each.

I do think there’s a danger that some of the charges being used are stretching the definition of the crime being used and it can end up looking like just finding an excuse to charge him.

This one looks like a real crime, and the documents one looks like a real crime. The ones about his business look like real crimes too.

His problem is that he's done lots of crimes, some of which don't normally get looked into, but that doesn't stop them being crimes.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,028
    The problem is there is saturation coverage of Trump and its easy to get quite de-sensitised over how serious these allegations are, to the point where it becomes Trump being Trump, shrug.
    How anybody could support his candidacy let alone vote for him is beyond me.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,923
    edited August 2023
    Hang on though, we've had Blair n' Bush making up fictious weapons to send Countries to war, where were their peaches? Trump told the EU they needed to step up and fund NATO more and that Germany should stop buying Russian gas (pipe line) which propped up their military might, we now know how that's ended up. Christ, Germany wouldn't even allow our military planes to fly over their land in fear they'd p1$$ off Putin.

So where does that leave us? I yell you where, it's a witch hunt which is just going to p1$$ off freedom loving middle Americans. Politicians in general are just as bad as each other anyway.

• briantrumpet

The problem is there is saturation coverage of Trump and its easy to get quite de-sensitised over how serious these allegations are, to the point where it becomes Trump being Trump, shrug.
    How anybody could support his candidacy let alone vote for him is beyond me.

I think his venal instincts have served him quite well in effectively engendering a cult which venerates everything he does, as his only political instinct is (now) to wind up anyone left of far-right, gun-lovin', god-fearin' lunatic. As with Brexit, the Trumpists are an unholy alliance of educated, rich, steal-from-the-poor-to-give-to-the-rich right-wingers, and the uneducated poor, who want to believe that Trump is on their side. He's tapped into that brilliantly, it has to be said, and stolen the Republican Party, lock, stock, and barrel. They, like the Tories and Johnson, needed a snake-oil salesman, and they got one. But they sold their soul to the devil, and democracy has been the loser.

The interesting people to follow are the one-time Republicans such as Joe Walsh, Adam Kinzinger and Liz Cheney, and George Conway (ex of Kelly-Ann Conway), who say that the Republican Party now belongs to Donald Trump, but really want him to be held to account.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Hang on though, we've had Blair n' Bush making up fictious weapons to send Countries to war, where were their peaches? Trump told the EU they needed to step up and fund NATO more and that Germany should stop buying Russian gas (pipe line) which propped up their military might, we now know how that's ended up. Christ, Germany wouldn't even allow our military planes to fly over their land in fear they'd p1$$ off Putin.

So where does that leave us? I yell you where, it's a witch hunt which is just going to p1$$ of freedom loving middle Americans. Politicians in general are just as bad as each other anyway.

By freedom, do you just mean guns?
  • focuszing723

So where does that leave us? I yell you where, it's a witch hunt which is just going to p1$$ of freedom loving middle Americans. Politicians in general are just as bad as each other anyway.

By freedom, do you just mean guns?
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, ask any politican and they'll tell you its true.
  • pblakeney

...Trump told the EU they needed to step up and fund NATO more and that Germany should stop buying Russian gas (pipe line) which propped up their military might, we now know how that's ended up. ...

All except those are not the reasons he is in court.
    It is possible to be right about some things and commit crimes.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Even Piers Morgan is right on occasion
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

...Trump told the EU they needed to step up and fund NATO more and that Germany should stop buying Russian gas (pipe line) which propped up their military might, we now know how that's ended up. ...

You failed to comment on other Politicians who have equally been dishonest, but are not deemed persona non grata. In our country we know politicians handed multi million pound Covid contracts to their mates, a pandemic which cost us £500,000,000,000 and contributed to rampant inflation. How many people in Wall Street were convicted of white collar crime after the financial crisis?
  • kingstongraham
    His problem is that he's done lots of crimes, some of which don't normally get looked into, but that doesn't stop them being crimes.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

You failed to comment on other Politicians who have equally been dishonest, but are not deemed persona non grata. In our country we know politicians handed multi million pound Covid contracts to their mates, a pandemic which cost us £500,000,000,000 and contributed to rampant inflation. How many people in Wall Street were convicted of white collar crime after the financial crisis?
    Open up threads on them. Quite happy to comment.
    This thread is about one man only.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2023
    Like I said it's just going to p1$$ off middle Americans and make them even more stunched in their beliefs.
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Open up threads on them. Quite happy to comment.
    This thread is about one man only.
    No, don't want to.
  • focuszing723
    If Trumps so bad, how come he's got a golf course in Scotland?
  • focuszing723
    FORE!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    None of the other politician's tried so brazenly to overturn democracy though.

It's very difficult to believe that Trump is any less corrupt either.
  • kingstongraham

Like I said it's just going to p1$$ off middle Americans and make them even more stunched in their beliefs.

"If even he can get arrested, it could happen to any one of us who's done frauds and tried to rig elections and stuff."