Donald Trump

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    It is hardly groundbreaking journalism to note that financial crimes are difficult to prove.

But I'm glad that the bleeding obvious has been validated by the Economist. If the FT agrees, it's official.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160

I think of all the scandals he’s being investigated for this is the weakest. It might not stick according to the economist

The conspiracy part sounds like it is going to be tricky and that is what takes it up to a felony. Without that the actual falsification of records should be fairly easy to prove and despite being a misdemeanour it’s still possible it could result in a 1 year prison sentence.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660

It is hardly groundbreaking journalism to note that financial crimes are difficult to prove.

But I'm glad that the bleeding obvious has been validated by the Economist. If the FT agrees, it's official.

I could pass it off as my own view, which it is, but I figured I’d share the source.

Where do you get your info and opinions on on this? I don’t for a minute think you do your own research.
  • First.Aspect

I could pass it off as my own view, which it is, but I figured I’d share the source.

Where do you get your info and opinions on on this? I don’t for a minute think you do your own research.
    I am capable of independent thought.

I also watch a lot of US drama shows.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Mitch McConnell has not made any comment. He probably knows a lot more about the remaining criminal investigations than the rest of us.

Trump is done, once the process is over It’s just the amount of convictions he has and even if he wins the Republican race for President I cant see him accessing the voter base he needs to win the election. It’s too early to say but some news agencies are touting Marjorie Green talyor as his running mate. Imagine that ticket.

Once convicted no doubt he will present some ailment as mitigation and wobble off into obscurity in Florida happy to get jizzedover by his nutjob fans
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    It's more US politics than just Trump, but related to the toxicity of Trump, it seems to be downing on even die-hard Republicans that the extreme anti-abortion and pro-gun laws being peremptorily imposed in places like Florida are really motivating women and young people to vote in numbers never seen before: the clean sweep that the Democrats have now had in Wisconsin, which traditionally has been marginal, is making at least some people wonder if the Republicans have gone too far.
  • Time Magazine going all-in on the Mango Mussolini; with a savage cover.

You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Mango Mussolini.
    Love it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    morstar said:

Mango Mussolini.
    Love it.

Yeah. That'll stick. MM. Simples.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    Has he come over to claim asylum? 🤣

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65448007
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,925
    FORE!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    ...skin.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

Has he come over to claim asylum? 🤣

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65448007

With any luck he might get committed to one.
  • briantrumpet
    Even in the anals of Trump, this comes pretty high up on the "Old man with dementia in care home gets cross and goes on and on about something or other" league...

• pblakeney
    Breaking news - Guilty of sexual assault.
    I guess more to follow...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

They didn't find that Carroll had proved that she'd been raped, but for everything else they found Trump liable.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

They didn't find that Carroll had proved that she'd been raped, but for everything else they found Trump liable.
    Doesn't surprise me. Finding him guilty of rape was always going to be difficult.
    His response could well be a classic if his lawyer doesn't intervene.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2023
    As expected but not quite as inflammatory as expected. He does like BOLD.

"Trump reacts to verdict
    Donald Trump has just reacted to the verdict, posting an all-caps message on his Truth social media platform.

"I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHO THIS WOMAN IS. THIS VERDICT IS A DISGRACE - A CONTINUATION OF THE GREATEST WITCH HUNT OF ALL TIME!", the former president said."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Doesn't surprise me. Finding him guilty of rape was always going to be difficult.
    His response could well be a classic if his lawyer doesn't intervene.

Haha, yes, that'll be interesting.

On the Stormy Daniels case, he's had a gag order now, to try to prevent him subverting justice.
  • First.Aspect
    He should go on Alex Salmond's RT show.

Would be like a Lance and George podcast discussing doping.
  • briantrumpet
    Re the F word... even if war isn't the end game, is this pushing the almost-F envelope?

• pblakeney
    ...Didn't America have something about no taxation without representation?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    Perhaps we could coin a new word, 'fascish'.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Looks like you’ve upset a Republican there Brian!
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Looks like you’ve upset a Republican there Brian!

Or a linguist who hates neologisms.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Far right wannabe dictatorship is more accurate all round
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    i'd guess this'll really annoy the book-banning religious right, which can only be a good thing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65794363

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    sungod said:

i'd guess this'll really annoy the book-banning religious right, which can only be a good thing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65794363

I liked the quote below. I can only assume that Bob hasn't read the section with Sodom and Gomorrah or doesn't believe in descriptive text. 🤣

"Bob Johnson, the father of a primary school student in the Davis School District, told CBS News that he opposes the Bible's removal.
    "I can't think of what's in the Bible that you would have to take out of it. Its not like there's pictures in it," he said."
    Veronese68 wrote: