Donald Trump

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

The other part of me thinks that we probably ought not to be finding speech impediments an object of humour in these more enlightened times...

It is not always a case of speech impediment though. Bostonians as a whole have an inability to pronounce the letter "R" as one example. One for linguisticians.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

The other part of me thinks that we probably ought not to be finding speech impediments an object of humour in these more enlightened times...

It is not always a case of speech impediment though. Bostonians as a whole have an inability to pronounce the letter "R" as one example. One for linguisticians.
    And yet they chose Red Sox?....
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2022
    Munsford0 said:

pblakeney said:

And yet they chose Red Sox?....
    Apologies for the diversion.

Hmmm. Quite correct. Thinking about it they seem to cope if the "R" is at the beginning/middle (Bruins too) but not at the end. 🤔

Edit - For shiggles and gits ask a Bostonian to say "mirror". "Meeyoh".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

In his speech he mentioned corridors of power numerous times but is completely incapable of pronouncing corridors. It reminded me of the episode of Only Fools and Horses where the singer who can't pronounce his Rs gets given a load of songs to sing with Rs in them.

Welease Bwian!

I seem to remember some humour around Roy Jenkins having to mention the Warrington Brewery at the by-election there.

I have a minor problem with Rs myself depending on the letter they precede or follow. Oddly it seems to have developed over time and also seems common among my extended family. Makes it difficult when we have to say our surname!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    And if I'm going to be all wokey-dokey, it probably ought to be labelled a 'speech difference', not an 'impediment'.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Good luck persuading the kids you teach not to spot said difference and pick on the person who has it.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pross said:

Munsford0 said:

Pross said:

In his speech he mentioned corridors of power numerous times but is completely incapable of pronouncing corridors. It reminded me of the episode of Only Fools and Horses where the singer who can't pronounce his Rs gets given a load of songs to sing with Rs in them.

Welease Bwian!

I seem to remember some humour around Roy Jenkins having to mention the Warrington Brewery at the by-election there.

I have a minor problem with Rs myself depending on the letter they precede or follow. Oddly it seems to have developed over time and also seems common among my extended family. Makes it difficult when we have to say our surname!
    i have an occasional R issue as well but I find punching people who point it out in their genitals always works wonders at ceasing ny "bantz" immediately.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    If its one thing he does know, its how to wind up Trump, which all of the MF's find v amusing.
  • MattFalle

bet there were some uncomfortsble silences at that little gig.....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Standard behaviour in redneck world isn't it?
  • Pross
    edited November 2022

Standard behaviour in redneck world isn't it?

Except they’d all be the same person.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Ably demonstrated by the not at all unattractive, Mila here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpe0j4J4Zzs&ab_channel=NorthNow
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    The AG Merrick Garland has appointed a Special Prosecutor for the Trump cases. Various theories flying around, not least that Garland doesn't have the guts to do it now Trump has announced his candidacy for 2024, but another theory, based on the fact that the Republicans have achieved a very narrow majority in the House is that some Congress(wo)men, enough to change the balance in the House, might end up getting charged. Garland is a political appointee of the sitting President, so can be sacked by a new president, but a Special Prosecutor can't be.

All very interesting, whatever...

• MattFalle
    WaPo announcing Dotard running....

• briantrumpet
    Donald Musk's Twitter poll went in Trump's favour 52-48%, so Musk has announced that Trump will be allowed back. But the "most honest person ever" (Trump's own words) isn't so sure, and under the rules laid down under the financing of his own Truth Social, he can't share TS posts on Twitter for six hours after posting on TS.

• pblakeney

Just when you think he can't get any more batshit crazy...

Batshit crazy but I bet he still makes a mint.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

Just when you think he can't get any more batshit crazy...

Batshit crazy but I bet he still makes a mint.
    OMG!!!!

Thing is, he has no charisma, how/why does he engender such loyalty?

He’s like a broken automaton when he speaks.

I get Hitler, he was angry, passionate and he had a vision (however horrific). Trump stands for nothing, is horrible to look at and awful to listen to.

And yet I am now scrabbling around for $99 x 15 for family members to have this wonderful gift.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

I get Hitler.

quoted for posterity. >:)
  • Pross
    I particularly like the legal announcement at the end 'no purchase necessary' - what, aprt from the $99 card? But hey, you could win lunch, a Zoom call, one-to-one meeting and autograph as well so sounds like a bargain.
  • Anyone else, you'd assume it's a deep fake video.
  • Pross said:

I particularly like the legal announcement at the end 'no purchase necessary' - what, aprt from the $99 card? But hey, you could win lunch, a Zoom call, one-to-one meeting and autograph as well so sounds like a bargain.

You can also get an entry to the same raffle by sending a self addressed envelope.
  • morstar

morstar said:

I get Hitler.

Walked into that one! :smile:

But not conflating what he wanted to achieve with leadership, I see how he led and motivated. I just don’t see any leadership in Trump at all.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

morstar said:

I get Hitler.

But not conflating what he wanted to achieve with leadership, I see how he led and motivated. I just don’t see any leadership in Trump at all.
    If anything the experience of Trump has made me question the narrative around Hitler being so charismatic that it mattered and if that narrative was part of the cult-of-personality generation, rather than a key factor in it.
  • morstar

morstar said:

morstar said:

I get Hitler.

If anything the experience of Trump has made me question the narrative around Hitler being so charismatic that it mattered and if that narrative was part of the cult-of-personality generation, rather than a key factor in it.
    Good point. Hadn’t thought of it that way.
  • briantrumpet

morstar said:

morstar said:

I get Hitler.

I guess that the press in the 1930s wasn't as diverse as it is now for picking up the opinions of Joe/Joanna Bloggs, but I wonder if there were the equivalent of Cakestoppers around then who might have been saying "Charisma, what charisma, he's a stupid, charmless oaf!!" I guess the other difference though is that Hitler wasn't doing it to primarily enrich himself (or was he?)
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Trump's NFTs have bloody sold out!!! My god, there are some gullible mugs out there.
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-63995563
  • Pross
    masjer said:

Trump's NFTs have bloody sold out!!! My god, there are some gullible mugs out there.

Phew! Glad I got in there early or my family would have been disappointed on Christmas morning
  • pblakeney
    masjer said:

Told ya so!
    Veronese68 wrote: