Donald Trump

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Okay so I've got a bit of a clue. Copyright could protect something like the DC Superman artwork, or a still of John Wayne from a movie, in which case splashing the face of a censored onto it could infringe copyright. But those are entirely new artworks, it looks like. Copyright is fairly narrow, and new images created in the same style are unlikely to infringe anything.

Where's the trade mark? T for censored is probably owned by the Trump corporation already.

Pity, the Netflix dramatisation of an IP infringement case would have been a winner.

There's one where you can still see part of the shutterstock logo on it.
    I can't see that on the images on the BBC and I can't open the Independent article.
    Looking at the Mail's version, they are clearly new images, possibly strongly inspired by clothing catalogue images.

I can't see anything online about the "Shutterstock" being still visible. If someone gormless has just airbrushed an existing image without paying the nominal copyright fee from such a website, it is easily fixed by paying that fee now, pretty much.

Turning back to the Mail article, the backgrounds are all different. The foreground isn't identical, nor are the poses. So the test (here at least) is whether a "substantial part" has been copied. The other thing to consider is that "copyright" includes a clue in the title, and infringement requires actual copying, not just visual similarity. In principle, one can independently create an identical artwork and not infringe the copyright in the earlier version. Many of the images I can see are very generic and this has the practical effect of making the copyright in some other very generic image narrower.

You see this in various music copyright cases, where the inevitable overlap of a series of notes with some earlier song that Ed Sheeran didn't actually perform forms the basis of a hopeless copyright case that profits only the lawyers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    ^^^^ The golf one is the most obvious one ^^^^
    Depends on if the photographer or the agency wish to pursue it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    edited December 2022

Okay so I've got a bit of a clue. Copyright could protect something like the DC Superman artwork, or a still of John Wayne from a movie, in which case splashing the face of a censored onto it could infringe copyright. But those are entirely new artworks, it looks like. Copyright is fairly narrow, and new images created in the same style are unlikely to infringe anything.

Where's the trade mark? T for censored is probably owned by the Trump corporation already.

Pity, the Netflix dramatisation of an IP infringement case would have been a winner.

I can't see that on the images on the BBC and I can't open the Independent article.
    Looking at the Mail's version, they are clearly new images, possibly strongly inspired by clothing catalogue images.

I can't see anything online about the "Shutterstock" being still visible. If someone gormless has just airbrushed an existing image without paying the nominal copyright fee from such a website, it is easily fixed by paying that fee now, pretty much.

Turning back to the Mail article, the backgrounds are all different. The foreground isn't identical, nor are the poses. So the test (here at least) is whether a "substantial part" has been copied. The other thing to consider is that "copyright" includes a clue in the title, and infringement requires actual copying, not just visual similarity. In principle, one can independently create an identical artwork and not infringe the copyright in the earlier version. Many of the images I can see are very generic and this has the practical effect of making the copyright in some other very generic image narrower.

You see this in various music copyright cases, where the inevitable overlap of a series of notes with some earlier song that Ed Sheeran didn't actually perform forms the basis of a hopeless copyright case that profits only the lawyers.
    The golf one is more like Vanilla Ice using a sample, rather than taking inspiration.
  • First.Aspect
    Not seen the golf one.
  • pblakeney

Not seen the golf one.

It's in MF's Independent link on the previous page.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited December 2022

The golf one is more like Vanilla Ice using a sample, rather than taking inspiration.
    i'd pay good money to watch Vanilla Ice bitchrap the lizard that is Sheeran into tears.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

Shutterstock logo (only a tiny bit of it) is on this one

https://opensea.io/assets/matic/0x24a11e702cd90f034ea44faf1e180c0c654ac5d9/12420
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    It's not looking good.
  • pangolin

It's not looking good.

Unlike Trump who is looking fantastic
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle
    bet you a fiver nothing happens to him.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

bet you a fiver nothing happens to him.

It'll get sorted out in the background for les than you think but more than it would have cost to do it right in the first place.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022
  • MattFalle
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    I'll see that bet and lower you to the price of a Trump NFT in 12 months time
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I think the point earlier about money laundering is the only explanation for NFTs that has ever made any sense to me.
    Not Trumps specifically, just any NFT.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Americans eh? Just stupid or so stupid they’ve been captured by Russians?
  • Ark at Benny trying to be all Hill.
  • pblakeney

Americans eh? Just stupid or so stupid they’ve been captured by Russians?

Is it a common theme of people with the initials BJ that they have to acts like dicks?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I assume Benny Johnson is just another grifter.

The Tucker Carlson segment he links to is painful to watch though.
  • First.Aspect
    I do not think that many Americans realise they share a maritime border with Russia. They just think Russia is 26000 miles from the US.
  • pblakeney

I do not think that many Americans realise they share a maritime border with Russia. They just think Russia is 26000 miles from the US.

Can't be far off being able to dog sled across at this time of year.
    It's been done before.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    edited December 2022
    MattFalle said:
    MattFalle said:

A lot depends on what Jack Smith gets up to as Special Prosecutor. He looks like one mean dude, and the speed with which he's been working gives me a little hope.

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:
    MattFalle said:

A lot depends on what Jack Smith gets up to as Special Prosecutor. He looks like one mean dude, and the speed with which he's been working gives me a little hope.

nah, fam, ain't nothing taking down Trump and he knows it, especially when the Reps take over in Jan.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Concur

To quote the dude in making a murderer - “Poor people lose. Poor people lose all the time”

The opposite is also true
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    ddraver said:

Concur

To quote the dude in making a murderer - “Poor people lose. Poor people lose all the time”

Rich people win?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle
    pangolin said:

ddraver said:

Concur

Rich people win?
    always

do anyone of you even think that any of us would still be walking around free if we had done a 100th of what Dotard had done?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    edited December 2022
    MattFalle said:

pangolin said:

ddraver said:

Concur

Rich people win?
    always

do anyone of you even think that any of us would still be walking around free if we had done a 100th of what Dotard had done?
    uk is even worse, look at the uk postmasters who were ruined by the post office and fujitsu's deliberate cover up of the issues in the accounting software

even though they've 'won', they are still being ripped off

their (often grossly inadequate) compensation being swallowed up in legal fees (why are the victims paying rather than the guilty?) and the official receiver taking even more to settle bankruptcy debts that were caused by the post office/fujitsu in the first place

no sign of the guilty paying the price for their actions
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny