Donald Trump

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    “Lock him up, lock him up”, preferably in the Mexican gang wing of a super max.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    This is the story he quoted in support of his point. Spoiler: it's not very supportive of his claim.

https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    Oh my. I'd find this a bit scary even if it were a satire. Utterly, utterly insane.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Oh my. I'd find this a bit scary even if it were a satire. Utterly, utterly insane.

Well that’s one way to lay the groundwork for condemning critics.
    Make them heretics!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I wonder how many of these preachers are just doing it as an act to make money. If you were a half decent actor with a talent for fiery oration it'd be quite fun to write some complete nonsense and then have a crowd of people lap it up.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Praying preying on the stupid.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    edited October 2022

I wonder how many of these preachers are just doing it as an act to make money. If you were a half decent actor with a talent for fiery oration it'd be quite fun to write some complete nonsense and then have a crowd of people lap it up.

People still follow Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye. Nuts!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bakker
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    If you still aren't convinced how screwed the US is, Texas is giving out kits to identify children's DNA in case of school shootings, while not banning assault weapons.
    WTAF.

• briantrumpet
    Nothing to see here, other than the new owner of Twitter spreading conspiracy theories on his $44bn platform. Genius.

• briantrumpet
    A good thread on how that happened, and how Musk is playing his part in the right-wing conspiracy theory machine.

It'll cost him dear if he keeps it up, I suspect. I'd not be surprised if an alternative to Twitter springs up...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

A good thread on how that happened, and how Musk is playing his part in the right-wing conspiracy theory machine.

It'll cost him dear if he keeps it up, I suspect. I'd not be surprised if an alternative to Twitter springs up...
    Telegram? Stronger moderation now....
  • briantrumpet

Telegram? Stronger moderation now....

Never seen it. But I suspect it wouldn't take long for Twitter users to migrate if the environment becomes toxic, especially to advertisers.

I was astounded how quickly Zoom adapted in the pandemic and became ubiquitous, managing to expand and adapt really quickly. Such is the nature of tech that doesn't rely on physical presence.
  • briantrumpet
    The midterms don't seem to be generally going Trump's way... certainly not the Democrat wipe-out some had been predicting. It'll be interesting to see if the Republican party take the hint of generally Trump-backed election deniers doing poorly to Dump the Trump and tone down their dalliance with conspiracy-theory lunacy.
  • The midterms don't seem to be generally going Trump's way... certainly not the Democrat wipe-out some had been predicting. It'll be interesting to see if the Republican party take the hint of generally Trump-backed election deniers doing poorly to Dump the Trump and tone down their dalliance with conspiracy-theory lunacy.

He is already threatening DeSantis against running for president for the GOP.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

The midterms don't seem to be generally going Trump's way... certainly not the Democrat wipe-out some had been predicting. It'll be interesting to see if the Republican party take the hint of generally Trump-backed election deniers doing poorly to Dump the Trump and tone down their dalliance with conspiracy-theory lunacy.

He is already threatening DeSantis against running for president for the GOP.

This - nickname (admittedly a crapone) is already out and on his plane he was threatening to release info re De S that would be harmful/embarrassing.

overall Trump is ptoving himself to be the odious lizard we all know he is, but his odious fan base still love him.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Pross
    I'm surprised he hasn't had an 'accident' yet but I guess they've assessed that would mean his bunch of right-wing terrorists would become even more of a danger.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    He is just a man-baby who unfortunately wields some influence.
    Prepare for the toys to be thrown out of the pram. Again.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    he's just a lizard.

i honestly don't know how he's got away with so much for so long - he must have some very, very good stuff on people.

be interesting to see what De S says to the threats
  • Pross said:

I'm surprised he hasn't had an 'accident' yet but I guess they've assessed that would mean his bunch of right-wing terrorists would become even more of a danger.

After the last one was labelled an estranged gay lover there will be a lot fewer volunteers
  • briantrumpet
    Team Trump is up to its normal lection denial stuff where Trump-backed candidates have lost. This is a rather nice riposte from one Arizona county:

SOCIAL MEDIA BOTS: Your disapproval is duly noted but your upvotes and retweets will not be part of this year’s totals. This is not meant as an affront to your robot overlords, it’s just not allowed for in Arizona law.
  • briantrumpet
    Democrats have now retained control of the Senate, with the possibility of adding another seat (Georgia) in a run-off.

And it's still just possible that they might not lose the House... and if they do, it looks like being wafer-thin. They'll be hoping that Trump does announce his run for 2025, as it appears he's now a turn-off for voters, which is good news.

The fact that a lot of Republicans are also pointing the finger at Trump for their dismal showing will also make it less problematic, politically, to charge Trump for at least some of his crimes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2022
    It's gotta be the Row v Wade repeal, surely.

Ever since that has happened they've underperformed the polls.
  • briantrumpet

Not sure how they put that genie back in the bottle, now they've packed the Supreme Court with Federalist Society evangelicals who have turned the SC into a political entity with an agenda.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Not sure how they put that genie back in the bottle, now they've packed the Supreme Court with Federalist Society evangelicals who have turned the SC into a political entity with an agenda.
    What the SC did was defer to the state legislatures - possibly in the belief that the redneck states would save all the babies - and as times goes on we will find out how the states react. If more states either retain the status quo or enshrine abortion rights in their laws, the issue will fade.

Alternatively, some states will make themselves uninvestable for big business with more liberal values. Whereupon, the GOP will become even more the party of the already rich or the extremely stupid than it already is.

Regardless, there were already large parts of the US where access to abortion clinics was restricted because it was dangerous to be involved with one.

Kansas was an interesting start, as far as public opinion in redneck states, mind you.
  • briantrumpet
    Can anyone remember the BBC Radio 4 series by one of its senior reporters on the US, in the 1980s, I think? It was a major work, and talked about the structural complexity & conundrums of the US political system, torn between state & the union. The presenter wasn't quite of the Dimbleby stature, but close to that, if I remember correctly.
  • MattFalle

its a mixture of RvW, Trump losing popular appeal, change of strategy by Dems, v poor Rep candiddtes, people losing interest in election denyers, massive demographic change in voters, economic queries being overshadowed, snd do on.

not so much one factor but a minestrone of issues.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    edited November 2022

Can anyone remember the BBC Radio 4 series by one of its senior reporters on the US, in the 1980s, I think? It was a major work, and talked about the structural complexity & conundrums of the US political system, torn between state & the union. The presenter wasn't quite of the Dimbleby stature, but close to that, if I remember correctly.

Was this Alistair Cook's "Letter from America"? . . . he had a wonderful voice
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross

Not sure the Trump supporters insurrection would have gone down too well with a lot of Republicans though, they're big on Patriotism aren't they and a bordline coup attempt is a bit communist.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Meh, the incumbents who contested the result did fine.