Disc brakes in the Pro ranks.

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    You can't keep resisting Rick... discs are the future! :wink:
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    ...which he describes as the best bike he's ever ridden*.

*I know they all have to say that.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Probably worked out they're about 5000% better the moment rain falls.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ffs.
    It's like when Bob Dylan went electric. Go to the Taaienberg and shout Judas at him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • If Roubaix is won on a disc bike, it's all over.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    If Roubaix is won on a disc bike, it's all over.

Well to be fair the race is over whichever bike wins it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,641
    He's a big lad, I get it.

Just looks so rubbish.
  • I think this...

TTom-Boonen-Venge-Vias-630x420.png

Looks far better than this...

02-IMG_1344.jpg
  • gweeds
    Discs are the least of the Venge's problems in the look department
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The bikes look cleaner to me.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Are cyclists really that dumb? To buy something simply because someone wins a bike race? Most likely, yes.
  • dennisn wrote:
    Are cyclists really that dumb? To buy something simply because someone wins a bike race? Most likely, yes.

Isn't that pretty much the only reason that manufacturers are in bike racing......?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

Isn't that pretty much the only reason that manufacturers are in bike racing......?
    Ya got that right. Sort of a fool and and his money are soon parted type of thing?
  • dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Ya got that right. Sort of a fool and and his money are soon parted type of thing?

Well, of course - but life doesn't have to be a deeply rational thing, does it? In fact, it would be pretty easy to argue that the best things in life are the least rational. That said, I don't give a stuff about what the pro peleton use - I can honestly say that it has had zero influence on my purchasing decisions. In fact I have a fabulous quality Rapha Sky t-shirt that I picked up for a tenner and the only thing that would make it better is if it didn't have Team Sky on it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dennisn
    So, disc brakes are all about vanity? If a pro uses something then you must do the same or risk your reputation as a top rider?
  • dennisn wrote:
    So, disc brakes are all about vanity? If a pro uses something then you must do the same or risk your reputation as a top rider?

Where did I say anything of the sort...?
  • dennisn wrote:

You could mount a reasonable (though far from watertight) case for saying that rim brakes are about vanity though...
  • dennisn wrote:

Given the number of bikes that now offered with discs despite the pros not using them, there's fairly good evidence that purchasing decisions aren't particularly driven by what's being seen in the pro peloton. I'd also guess that only a small proportion of bikes sold are the same models as the ones nominally ridden by the pros, although I can imagine the choice of brand might be influenced.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Given the number of bikes that now offered with discs despite the pros not using them, there's fairly good evidence that purchasing decisions aren't particularly driven by what's being seen in the pro peloton. I'd also guess that only a small proportion of bikes sold are the same models as the ones nominally ridden by the pros, although I can imagine the choice of brand might be influenced.

But of those choosing not to switch to discs, many cite the lack of use by the pros as justification for that decision. Once the pros use them and more importantly start winning on them then that justification will become harder.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    dscf8265-1482408035459-tj44n684cto7-1400-80.jpg
    afccba884c2e1a10e7879485795e8.jpg
    Wonder in the clean stays and forks.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909

Paris Roubaix is not the sort of race that comes down to who has the better brakes. For a start its 99% flat as a witches t!ts. You are not really that heavy on the brakes at any point. Disc brakes are more likely to be of use in the races with monstrous downhill sections like you find in the Giro with snow on the peaks. This again brings my question - in the PRO PELOTON - What do they actually bring better? Very few races have points where you would maybe want them and this is my biggest gripe. Descending is a skill. Some very good races in recent memory have come from a class descender blowing the race apart. Steve Cummings TTing on the tour or Nibali in full flow is a joy to behold. What the hell would you want to dumb that down in the name of technology? I want to see the best cyclists win cos of their ability. Otherwise its F1 on pushbikes
  • What disc brakes do potentially bring (and excuse my ignorance of the rules) is the potential to run wider tyres. That could bring an advantage on P-R.

As for technology, if Joe Public is running discs then it's stupid if the pro peloton is running older tech.
  • gweeds
    Any wet race, flat or otherwise, sees an immediate ad advantage for discs. That initial 'shit I need to clear the rims before they actually bite' moment is gone.

I don't know why they're only seen as a win on long descents. The best descender will still win regardless of discs or calipers.
  • smoggysteve
    Motors in the seat tube is moderrn tech. You want to see that introduced too? Stupid argument

I can buy a sub 5kg bike thats ilegal in the pro peloton so disc brakes are hardly leaving the pros behind.
  • gweeds
    Discs
    > motors in seat tube = WTF
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    If discs offer no advantage .... then there is no issue in letting teams use them is there ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,641

I can buy a sub 5kg bike thats ilegal in the pro peloton so disc brakes are hardly leaving the pros behind.

Which is precisely why they're using them....
  • smoggysteve
    Be it disc brakes, weight, geometry or some other new idea. There has to be a cut off point where it become more about the riders ability over the technology. If only a handful of teams had discs then thats dangerous when you take into consideration the concertina effect of someone braking hard as it passes down the peloton. Somone in the middle is going to get smacked up the backside by someone with brakes that are not as good. Everyone has to have them for it to be ok. The issue of them being better in the wet or downhill is still dumbing down the skill of the riders. Im sure some argumentative twunt will blah on about going back to down tube shifters on steel frames with leather straps instead of cleats but there is no major dumbing down of the riders ability in sny of the modern advances in these technologies.

I see people getting turned off by F1 cos its less about the drivers and more about the car. Its boring and predictable. Cycling really doesn't need anything which makes racing even more stale and predictable right now.
  • Motors in the seat tube is moderrn tech. You want to see that introduced too? Stupid argument

Well, you've got me licked in the stupid argument stakes.

Plenty of people riding disc brakes - with plenty predicting it will be the brake of choice in future years. 5kg bikes and electric motors in seat tubes, I'd suggest, are a little less common.
  • smoggysteve
    Motors in the seat tube is moderrn tech. You want to see that introduced too? Stupid argument

Well, you've got me licked in the stupid argument stakes.

Plenty of people riding disc brakes - with plenty predicting it will be the brake of choice in future years. 5kg bikes and electric motors in seat tubes, I'd suggest, are a little less common.

Point I was making was just because its 'new' tech doesnt mean it should be used. You don't want to see something which aides a rider uphill but its fine to help him downhill. Descending is a skill just as much as climbing. Otherwise its the same riders winning again and again zzzzzzz