Disc brakes in the Pro ranks.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Bugger. You mean posting crap on an internet forum isn't enough to claim intellectual rights? Damn.
    For copyright it is. Patents are more technical.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:

Bugger. You mean posting crap on an internet forum isn't enough to claim intellectual rights? Damn.

So basically, I've got copyright on a sentence that described an incredible revolutionary technical advancement (a bit of carbon fibre covering for a brake disc), but no protection on the idea itself?

Now I know how Clyde Stubblefield must have felt every time Funky Drummer was sampled....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:

So basically, I've got copyright on a sentence that described an incredible revolutionary technical advancement (a bit of carbon fibre covering for a brake disc), but no protection on the idea itself?
    You would have had to apply for a trademark for the phrase. Copyright is a little more broad. The weakest of IP rights.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    RichN95 wrote:

Now I know how Clyde Stubblefield must have felt every time Funky Drummer was sampled....

I think we will have to fight this out in court or like men .

I challenge you to a purring contest!!
  • kleinstroker
    Sorry mate, I've got a patent out on that already, and mine is aero..
    This isn't a technologically insurmountable obstacle. As others have mentioned, they could mill the edges and stop cutting teeth in them for starters, or go the whole way and make a 3/4 circle carbon aero sheath that just sat on the axle like a washer. Cover pretty much the whole thing, stick some branding on it, sell it as aero, bam.

I think frisbee tops sheath in the aero stakes. I win
  • kleinstroker
    edited April 2016
    oops repeat post
  • kleinstroker
    and again
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Oof, he was lucky he didn't break his neck.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    G M wrote:
    Chain and cassette are also exposed but without them these is no drivetrain
    Discs are something pro's did not ask and needed and its more dangerous compared to other parts

Must admit, I think I've changed my mind on this one. I think contact with front disc with a calf, or rear disc with a shin will be pretty common. Much more so that chainrings. I still think the better braking would save falls on wet descents, but guards should be put around the disc.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    The problem with guards is that they compromise cooling, and overheating is one of the many technical difficulties of using disc brakes on the road.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    http://inrng.com/2016/04/the-disk-brake-fiasco/

Inrng balanced as usual.

Also I don't know if mentioned elsewhere but the Maes incident seems unlikely to be disc related because the photographs clearly show him falling onto his right knee (the injured knee) with no riders on disc equipped bikes present: http://road.cc/content/tech-news/186146 ... es-peloton
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    http://inrng.com/2016/04/the-disk-brake-fiasco/

Inrng balanced as usual.

Also I don't know if mentioned elsewhere but the Maes incident seems unlikely to be disc related because the photographs clearly show him falling onto his right knee (the injured knee) with no riders on disc equipped bikes present: http://road.cc/content/tech-news/186146 ... es-peloton

Excellent article from INRNG. Valuable points about the UCI that the "COOKSON HAS TO DO SUCH AND SUCH; NOW!!!!!" brigade would do well to note.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Also - http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/leaked-n ... l-in-june/

June eh?

Any big races happening in July?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    ddraver wrote:
    Also - http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/leaked-n ... l-in-june/

June eh?

Any big races happening in July?

Ride London Classic
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Yup.

They heard Rick Chasey was such a big deal they made a race that is broadly his usual club run and go past his flat.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    Yup.

They heard Rick Chasey was such a big deal they made a race that is broadly his usual club run and go past his flat.

so he can pop in for a snooze?
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    The problem with guards is that they compromise cooling, and overheating is one of the many technical difficulties of using disc brakes on the road.

If the guards are designed right then they can actually improve cooling. They can direct the air flow to exactly where they want and easily extract the hot air. Just look at F1 or Moto GP into how much work goes into brake cooling.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    reading the detail suggest that the UCI will allow for aero fairings that also act as rotor guards.

hopefully as part of the frame, a bolt on guards will not please the aesthete in me.
  • kleinstroker
    RichN95 wrote:
    OK, so I've just invented something really hi-tech, it's called a disc brake fairing TM, (think small frisbee with a hole in the middle) and it goes over your disc brakes so they are covered at all times and simply slots over the axle.

That should do away with any concerns about disc brakes being safe to use, and it only took 10 seconds to come up with the idea.

Sorry mate, I've got a patent out on that already, and mine is aero..
    No you haven't. I looked.

Although, Kleinstocker has pissed his patent rights up the wall by publicly disclosing prior to filing for a patent. (I once nailed a famous golfer's dad on this once - which I wouldn't have done if he hadn't named his son with the same name)

It didn't take long!! I think we should complain to someone.

dscf2299-1465988094306-1o9kef3br6jha-1920-1080.jpg
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/donchisciotte-disc-brake-guard-first-look-47261
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Just when you thought pro bikes couldn’t get any uglier…
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Might stop you from going into the back of a motorbike though! (well somebody had to say it sooner or later, even if it wouldnt have helped on this occasion...)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    it makes you wonder why this didn't happen in the first place. it's not like nobody had warned them. very arrogant.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • This snuck in under the radar a bit but discs are back! And all teams free to use them from January

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/666/uci-commits-to-disc-brakes-on-road-bikes-for-2016
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    This snuck in under the radar a bit but discs are back! And all teams free to use them from January

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/666/uci-commits-to-disc-brakes-on-road-bikes-for-2016

Have you checked the date of that article?
  • How did I manage to post that? Followed a tweet thats how :oops:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I suppose the question is what problem are they trying to solve
    I don't think "they" are trying to solve any problem. "They" are trying to sell new things. Think about it. You'll need a new bike, new wheels, new shifters, and new brakes. It's a bonanza for component and frame makes, IF they can get you to buy into it. Once these things make it to the pro ranks all the lemmings will follow and the manufacturers cash registers will be cha chinging day and night.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    dennisn wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I suppose the question is what problem are they trying to solve
    I don't think "they" are trying to solve any problem. "They" are trying to sell new things. Think about it. You'll need a new bike, new wheels, new shifters, and new brakes. It's a bonanza for component and frame makes, IF they can get you to buy into it. Once these things make it to the pro ranks all the lemmings will follow and the manufacturers cash registers will be cha chinging day and night.

Nah mate.

I've said it before; it's all about finding ways to commercially add weight.

As soon as they cut the weight limit they'll drop the heavy brakes in favour of lighter rim brakes again.

The manufacturers would rather add something they can sell on a bike to weigh it down rather then dropping lead weights down the seat tube.

Drop the limit to 5 kilos. See what happens.