Disc brakes in the Pro ranks.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Alex99 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    In a racing situation, they don't solve any problems. the weak spot in braking is the tyre, not the braking surface.

Most of the time, maybe.

Brake performace (modulation) and tyre grip can't be de-coupled. Tyres will give up grip when there is a spike in force e.g. when a wet rim brake 'decides' that it's going to grab.

I would think the most relevant racing situation is descending in the wet, where we always see riders wiping out whilst other riders carrying on around the same bend without issue.

I have a similar view having very powerful, easy to use brakes is useless if they are not consistent and don't have a good level of feel / control. All those reasons together are why disc brakes give a benefit. They allow you to brake hard holding the bike closer to the point you lose traction than rim brakes.

In mountain biking this is much more apparent due to the more stop, start nature of riding and relying on handling skills much more.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Mountain biking. That sport where "rad" is a legitimate word and helmet visors are de rigour?

Pfffft. Jog on.
  • We don't always see riders crashing in the wet. If you lose a wheel in the wet, you might fall off, you might not. The type of brakes is irrelevant. As it is currently, tyre grip is the main factor that will dictate the wheel slipping, especially in the wet. Disc brakes don't improve grip.

Most pro riders don't have problems in the wet and most pro riders seem to be against disc brakes.

I've got dura ace brakes and they stop me fine, in the dry and the wet. They are powerful, easy to use and consistent.

there is no comparison between mountain biking and road racing.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Mountain biking. That sport where "rad" is a legitimate word and helmet visors are de rigour?

Pfffft. Jog on.

Good point. You're right, we should disregard all experience from this arena.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2016
    Alex99 wrote:

Pfffft. Jog on.

Glad you've seen the light.

Though "arena" ? That's a "get out" offence...
  • Alex99
    We don't always see riders crashing in the wet. If you lose a wheel in the wet, you might fall off, you might not. The type of brakes is irrelevant. As it is currently, tyre grip is the main factor that will dictate the wheel slipping, especially in the wet. Disc brakes don't improve grip.

Most pro riders don't have problems in the wet and most pro riders seem to be against disc brakes.

I've got dura ace brakes and they stop me fine, in the dry and the wet. They are powerful, easy to use and consistent.

there is no comparison between mountain biking and road racing.

Rodrego, which races are you watching?
  • Alex99
    Alex99 wrote:

Pfffft. Jog on.

Glad you've seen the light.

Though "arena" ? That's a "get out" offence...

It was just an innocent slip. I was too busy thinking about 'rad air' and such.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. That stuff does pollute the brain.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Most pro riders don't have problems in the wet

Except the ones who fall off.

It is possible to lose grip in the wet due only to lean angle but in many crashes the rider is braking at the time too, so braking performance is clearly relevant to loss of grip. Control and modulation are clearly superior on a disc setup.

The discussion over discs was boring a while back and doesn't seem to be improving. Discs are clearly better brakes but still people fail to either admit it, value it, or need it. Only the last point has any real merit.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It's because, like most things in life, there are pros and cons, it's rarely a straight choice between one or the other and when the choice is mixed people will tend to stick with what they have now.

If it was the other way around and they all had discs and the suggestion was to try the brand new rim brakes because they're safer there would be the same protestations I'm sure.
  • kajjal

Pfffft. Jog on.

Totally rad on my plus size hooligan hardtail with my baggies and body armour :)

Your too old a mamil to understand.

(In truth in lycra on an xc hardtail, and also mamil like :oops:)
  • rick_chasey
    Kajjal wrote:

Pfffft. Jog on.

Totally rad on my plus size hooligan hardtail with my baggies and body armour :)

How old do you think I am?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    maddog 2 wrote:
    The discussion over discs was boring a while back and doesn't seem to be improving. Discs are clearly better brakes but still people fail to either admit it, value it, or need it. Only the last point has any real merit.

Full Hydro discs may be better - cable and semi hydro are not clearly better and if you frequent the road buying and other sections of this forum you'll see lots of people who have fallen for the BikeRadar reviews of these brakes and have been unimpressed with the performance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Whoever set up your brakes did it wrong DeV - there is no cure for mechanical ineptitude unfortunately...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I think it's one of those things that we accept what is there now. If exposed chainrings were being brought in now there would likely be an outcry about having 'saw blades' on every bike.
    Except that chain rings are generally covered by a chain, and there's no energy in them, because of the freewheel. Similarly for the sprockets, protected by the frame and will stop unless the rider continues to pedal.

The discs are another matter, particularly on the front which can be aimed.

ISTM that brakes in road racing really aren't something to be concerned about. Even in road biking in general. Long distance riding, commuting, riding in mud and dirt, makes sense not to use the rim as a wearing component. But in general it just doesn't seem to be an issue. Even on cheap Chinese carbon in the Alps.

More interesting road bike brake innovation is direct mount calipers and integrating the brakes into the forks for an aero advantage. Much more racy.

Paul
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    paul2718 wrote:
    Except that chain rings are generally covered by a chain

Unless you are on the small ring, when the big ring is exposed.
  • Alex99
    "Except that chain rings are generally covered by a chain, and there's no energy in them"

...except there have been some bad injuries from chainrings. The chain doesn't always stay on in a crash. Agreed, the cassette isn't much of a issue.
  • G M
    G M Posts: 15
    Chain and cassette are also exposed but without them these is no drivetrain
    Discs are something pro's did not ask and needed and its more dangerous compared to other parts
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114

Full Hydro discs may be better ...

Yes, I was referring to hydros.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • kajjal
    Kajjal wrote:

Pfffft. Jog on.

Seeing as you used the word rad not as young as you used to be :)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    ddraver wrote:
    Whoever set up your brakes did it wrong DeV - there is no cure for mechanical ineptitude unfortunately...

Or maybe we just know how to set rim brakes up correctly which is why we don't see that discs are any great advance !

It's not just me that doesn't share this love of discs there are lots of people on these forums who just haven't found them that great.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    well either way that's not a problem with disk brakes...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    merida spokesman states his riders wanted disks.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/1107/vent ... e-catalyst
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,528
    Kajjal wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Pfffft. Jog on.

Seeing as you used the word rad not as young as you used to be :)

Touche / pwned / something the kids say
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    OK, so I've just invented something really hi-tech, it's called a disc brake fairing TM, (think small frisbee with a hole in the middle) and it goes over your disc brakes so they are covered at all times and simply slots over the axle.

That should do away with any concerns about disc brakes being safe to use, and it only took 10 seconds to come up with the idea.

Sorry mate, I've got a patent out on that already, and mine is aero..
    This isn't a technologically insurmountable obstacle. As others have mentioned, they could mill the edges and stop cutting teeth in them for starters, or go the whole way and make a 3/4 circle carbon aero sheath that just sat on the axle like a washer. Cover pretty much the whole thing, stick some branding on it, sell it as aero, bam.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2016
    OK, so I've just invented something really hi-tech, it's called a disc brake fairing TM, (think small frisbee with a hole in the middle) and it goes over your disc brakes so they are covered at all times and simply slots over the axle.

That should do away with any concerns about disc brakes being safe to use, and it only took 10 seconds to come up with the idea.

No you haven't. I looked.

Although, Kleinstocker has pissed his patent rights up the wall by publicly disclosing prior to filing for a patent. (I once nailed a famous golfer's dad on this once - which I wouldn't have done if he hadn't named his son with the same name)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Double post
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Alex99 wrote:

It's hard to see how really, but I came off as as young lad and put a gash across my left knee which needed 7 stitches. I didn't notice it intially until I had sat up and my fingers went into the hole in my knee. Weird, it really didn't hurt until that point.
    He didn't notice it, but he is quick to point his finger to a disc brake, when in fact the shape of the cut is inconsistent with his story. Sounds like over-reaction to me...

Yeah, but that's not necessarily a disaster.... we see a lot of exaggeration in pro cycling which no one cares all that much about. E.g., "Démare came past me at 80kmh" and so on...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:

No you haven't. I looked.

Although, Kleinstocker has pissed his patent rights up the wall by publicly disclosing prior to filing for a patent. (I once nailed a famous golfer's dad on this once - which I wouldn't have done if he hadn't named his son with the same name)

Bugger. You mean posting crap on an internet forum isn't enough to claim intellectual rights? Damn.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format