Stage 20 TdF 2015 - Modane Valfréjus/Alpe d'Huez**SPOILERS**

1151617181921»

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819

Sorry, wasn't actually aimed at yourself, I saw it as appropriate to the original poster as the pic was posted up as a dig at the lack of class of Froome/Sky fans.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    I have just been reading through the pages in this and other threads but it seems that most ''sky fanbois'' are taking every comment with regards to Sky as an insult. There have been at least few FF's posts here that have been misinterpreted only to get into an argument... Sorry for the OT but come on, lets not get paranoid ;-)
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    The more quotes you read about Saturday's stage the more you realise just how much Froome was hanging on, clearly felt rough. Great support by Porte and Poels and character from Froome to grind it out. Other riders might've cracked in this situation.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    The more quotes you read about Saturday's stage the more you realise just how much Froome was hanging on, clearly felt rough. Great support by Porte and Poels and character from Froome to grind it out. Other riders might've cracked in this situation.

Is it Froome's most impressive ride?
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241

Hard to say but the measure of any athlete is toughing it out when you're not 100% or having a bad day. We don't know how grim he actually felt but he looked completely on the limit (actually I think he said he was didn't he). The mental resolve to deal with all the non-racing stuff is probably more impressive I'd say. Hopefully standing up to all that rubbish with such honesty and politeness will provide a platform for a bit more respect over the coming years.
  • To be honest there's neither of those in Frenchie's post. He congratulates Froome and says Contador was fatigued (which any reasonable person would agree with though most were predicting it in advance). I'm sure you only post on here to raise an argument with FF and decided to see what you wanted / expected to just to argue.

+1.
  • Just back from France.

Brilliant day on the Alpe. Walked up to tween corners 8 and 7 for the race coming through. Irish Corner were in great spirits. Could have done without the hand gestures and booing to Sky riders and team car by some around me - not classy. Dutch Corner calmed down hugely after the race came through, and the disco damaged were already in evidence. The Wout Poels Fan Club guys I spoke to were well chuffed with their man!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    TTs and TTTs in GTs are dull as dishwater but I would like to reinstate the TT on the last saturday as that way, when we do the 24hr race that is always the last weekend of July, I don't miss anything that sounds as good as this sounded...

Congrats to Froome, Props to Quintana* and shame on the pathetic losers on the side of the road

(* I have the thought all tour that Movistar did nt seem to take the time losses in the first week seriously enough, there was always an "oh well it will be nothing after the mountains" attitude to the team. Although it is just a number, perhaps the "Imlach Soundbite" will give them a K up the A not to be too lackadaisical on the flat stages)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984

Hard to argue otherwise, but the amount of effort he put into the closing stages of last years Vuelta were pretty good too I thought.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,349
    Contador faced huge pressure from Astana in the Giro to the point that he did crack in the penultimate stage so there's similarities although Froome faced multiple threats and Contador had to race against a team almost solo at times. The difference was Froome's support from the SKY team.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    TTs and TTTs in GTs are dull as dishwater but I would like to reinstate the TT on the last saturday as that way, when we do the 24hr race that is always the last weekend of July, I don't miss anything that sounds as good as this sounded...

Apart from the TTT was absolutely phenomenal. The route was spot on, the result was close and exciting.

The by far hardest and one of the most beautiful disciplines in the sport.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,349
    I really thought Quintana would have done better considering the terrain and the lack of a TT - that is, unless there was a hilly TT, however, he didn't have quite the support.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    i-3Ss7ct2.jpg

i-Znhq3sr.jpg

i-Xh3GWkT.jpg

20150725197_000_6032.jpg

i-Xm4BpZn.jpg

i-Q6FN86c.jpg

original.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    original.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Commentary by photo-montage has gone up a level this Tour. That's a belter of Nairo. Avi fodder.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_ns1ysi4iyz1ruscp7o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ns1gtuIej81rhs3w4o1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    To be honest there's neither of those in Frenchie's post. He congratulates Froome and says Contador was fatigued (which any reasonable person would agree with though most were predicting it in advance). I'm sure you only post on here to raise an argument with FF and decided to see what you wanted / expected to just to argue.

You are joking, right? :lol:
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,929
    tumblr_nsayfprQtM1ucy4lpo1_1280.jpg
    Pinot heading for the win

tumblr_nsayhjkosU1ucy4lpo1_1280.jpg
    Frenchie's favourite dragging Froome to the flame rouge

tumblr_nsayilQJkM1ucy4lpo1_1280.jpg
  • Nice one, Dorset Boy. I took some pics on Sat but as I've NEVER been able to upload pics here, I'll ask the Doc to do it for me
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    My Man Tekkers, courtesy of RR :-)

CLKa4gDWwAADKqM.jpg

CLKa4f7WUAAY2vN.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    My Man G, from RR again.

8TFaSi0R.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Dorset_Boy
    Nice one, Dorset Boy. I took some pics on Sat but as I've NEVER been able to upload pics here, I'll ask the Doc to do it for me

My Stages 18 & 19 pics are better (posted on those threads) - we were a bit far back for the camera phone on the Alpe!
    It was a very cold wind blowing there, especially having been riding in temperatures in the high 30s in the Maurienne valley over the previous few days!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Where were you on the climb Dorset Boy?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Where were you on the climb Dorset Boy?

At turn 1, the final hairpin, on the bank just above the road, and in the flippin' wind! Needed cycling jersey, fleece & jacket, plus leg warmers! :D

On stage 19 we were in Le Corbier, just after the 4 kms to go banner, and on stage 18 we were at the top of the Lacets de Montvernier on the 18th bend.